• Tim Drake

0 0%
  • Damian Wayne

0 0%
  • Jason Todd

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Exactly. Go to amazon.com and enter the names of some superheroes in the search box to get an idea of the merchandising strength of the various characters, based on products offered.

Wonder Woman, Batman: 40k+
    Superman: 30k+
    Spiderman, Captain America: 20k+
    Hulk, Iron man, Captain Marvel: 10k+
    Green Lantern: 8k+
    Harley Quinn: 6k+

(Flash has over 100k hits, but that includes flash memory, camera flashes, and so on.)

Frankly, I was surprised by the strength of Wonder Woman's presence there compared to Superman and Spiderman (though some might be false positives). Wonder Woman also has the huge advantage of being one of relatively few superheroes with a readily recognisable iconography.
    I'm pretty sure Spiderman is the biggest merchandise seller in the world by far when it comes to superheroes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The only way I see Flash or Green Lantern as number 3 would be as a franchise. Which would be a weird way to rank it given the title of the OP. If it was "Whose DC's 3rd biggest staple" then i could see Flash and Green Lantern as contenders but you'd also have to include The Justice League and Titan franchises.

I wouldnt consider Flash and GL nr 3 cause there are pretty much 2 prominent characters of wash alias Hal/John, and Barry/Wally and then it didn't even start with either of those 4 characters. Alan and Jay. Whereas Nr1 and Nr2 have always been Clark and Bruce as their definite roles throughout time so id expect the same to be for the Nr3. Robin is a good candidate but he has the same issue as Flash and GL on top of the fact the original Robin moved on from the role and has been operating as Nightwing for about 3 decades now? I'd say the Nr3. Should have more of a hold to their name then just up and switching it like such and being away from it for so long.

Honeslty getting to the point its Diana she was around in the Golden Age she has cultural impact. Merchandise sales, brand recognigtion and so on. Id say Aquaman and Flash(as a brand) are runnerups for #4.
    Jay and Alan arent anymore important, considering star status...I took Wally and Barry in one option, because I didnt want that one option took the other votes away...
    I wanted that everyone could only vote for ONE Character and so it would have been a bit difficult...I think Barry and Wally have both their fans, new Fans might be Barry Fans, since he is in TV Show and Comics, older might be Wally Fans..

I took Nightwing as option, because he was popular in Comic Sales in the 90ies, is established as character on his own....Leads the Titans etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Impulse,Garth,Roy and Cassie YES....
    Kon El and Donna NO!

Donna and especially Kon El are much more Icons than Swamp Thing, Batgirl and Supergirl....

-Kon El is in YOUNG JUSTICE (TV SERIES), "REIGN OF SUPERMEN" (ANIME FILM), TITANS (SERIES), SMALLVILLE (SERIES), he was popularly shown in Injustice Comics, returned as adult Superman in Comics and in January returned in YOUNG JUSTICE (COMIC SERIES) and during the Kessel Era he had a extremely successful Comic Book Solo-Run...and he was at the centre of IC...

-Supergirl was for long time not a part of DC and is only popular at the moment because she has a Series on her own..

-Batgirl is relatively ok, BUT not very popular especially compared to Donna,Catowman....
    Seriously?

You keep relying on comic book sales and niche TV shows / animated straight-to-video movies, but your initial post talked about
    Hello,
    would like to know who do you see as DC Nr. 3 or Nr. 4 or Nr. 5 in DC Ranking..

Based on Merchandise Sale, Star-Appeal etc. etc.

Oh I didnt divide for Barry,Wally or Green Lantern...

Nr.1 and Nr.2 are Superman and Batman...but who is behind..?
    Donna Troy and Kon-El aren't very well known outside of the limited world views of certain comic book geeks.

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) starred in the last season of the iconic 1966-68 Batman TV series that almost everybody and their cousin was exposed to through decades of repeats, and she's also been used for plenty of merchandising (even when in comic books she was "Oracle" and in a wheel chair). Supergirl did get her own feature film; her TV show was featured on a major American network (CBS) for its original season, and she's been around in toys/action figures/Halloween costumes/ etc. for YEARS so that even someone who never read a comic book would be aware of her.

"Donna Troy" is probably not somebody the average, non-comic book reading person would be familiar with. Wonder Woman they'd have heard of, but Donna is a different story. Hell, when she was first used, the "Wonder Girl" character was really Wonder Woman as a teen! DC had to create a separate identity of "Donna Troy" after the fact, and how often would she have appeared outside of comic book stories and maybe an occasional straight-to-video animated movie or something? Are there a lot of toys or T-shirts with "Donna Troy" featured prominently?

As for "Kon-El", nobody who doesn't read DC comic books would really know/care who he is. For years, when people heard of "Superboy", the character name was used for "Superman [Kal-El] as a boy". If you asked random people who weren't near a comic book shop, who do you think they'd tell you "Superboy" was?

Retired

According to my unreliable survey, whenever I've been to Rio de Janeiro for Carnaval, Wonder Woman is by far the most popular for women and men. After that, maybe Mini Mouse for women and Batman for men. Then Superman, Supergirl, Batgirl (or woman), Iron Man, Captain America.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Seriously?

You keep relying on comic book sales and niche TV shows / animated straight-to-video movies, but your initial post talked aboutDonna Troy and Kon-El aren't very well known outside of the limited world views of certain comic book geeks.

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) starred in the last season of the iconic 1966-68 Batman TV series that almost everybody and their cousin was exposed to through decades of repeats, and she's also been used for plenty of merchandising (even when in comic books she was "Oracle" and in a wheel chair). Supergirl did get her own feature film; her TV show was featured on a major American network (CBS) for its original season, and she's been around in toys/action figures/Halloween costumes/ etc. for YEARS so that even someone who never read a comic book would be aware of her.

"Donna Troy" is probably not somebody the average, non-comic book reading person would be familiar with. Wonder Woman they'd have heard of, but Donna is a different story. Hell, when she was first used, the "Wonder Girl" character was really Wonder Woman as a teen! DC had to create a separate identity of "Donna Troy" after the fact, and how often would she have appeared outside of comic book stories and maybe an occasional straight-to-video animated movie or something? Are there a lot of toys or T-shirts with "Donna Troy" featured prominently?

As for "Kon-El", nobody who doesn't read DC comic books would really know/care who he is. For years, when people heard of "Superboy", the character name was used for "Superman [Kal-El] as a boy". If you asked random people who weren't near a comic book shop, who do you think they'd tell you "Superboy" was?
    Ok, dont know how the Situation in America is, I am in Europe and I grew up with the 1966-1968 Batman Series, because of repeats YES, BUT this was 20 YEARS ago and I have NEVER seen the Series on Free-TV since then....I even forgot that Barbara was in the Series...

The feature Film of Supergirl you could also leave out, because I have seen it, BUT I highly doubt that a NON-COMIC-BOOK-READER would watch the Film, ok, maybe because of the Supergirl Series...

It could be that the Situation in America is different BUT:
    -1966 Batman Series was I think 20 Years ago last time in Free-TV
    -Titans wasnt aired in Free-TV
    -Young Justice neither
    -Flash was aired on popular TV Channel on 20:15, Supergirl was also aired on this TV Channel, but Supergirl was transfered then to a smaller TV Channel and Flash was shown later..

So for me, yes Supergirl and Flash TV SERIES have Impact, BUT the rest is quite niche for me...

It’s Wonder Woman.

Ok, dont know how the Situation in America is, I am in Europe and I grew up with the 1966-1968 Batman Series, because of repeats YES, BUT this was 20 YEARS ago and I have NEVER seen the Series on Free-TV since then....I even forgot that Barbara was in the Series...
    The reruns still air these days on various cable channels here in the U.S. (I'm not sure if those stations are "free" in some parts of the country, but they're not channels people in the U.S. are likely to be paying specifically for. They're usually included in packages of channels labeled as something like "Family Plan" or what not.)
    And there was also the digital-first/print-later Batman '66 comic book series from DC not too long ago, based on that TV series. Batgirl showed up in that from time to time.
    And don't forget, when DC went to the New52 after Flashpoint, they made Barbara Gordon Batgirl again because she was the most "iconic" one to have that role. In addition to appearing for so long in comic books (around 20 years as Batgirl prior to The Killing Joke, and even after she would show up in flashbacks or stories set in the past) as well as the live-action TV show, she would also appear in various episodes of the 1990s Batman animated series (the ones associated with Bruce Timm).

The feature Film of Supergirl you could also leave out, because I have seen it, BUT I highly doubt that a NON-COMIC-BOOK-READER would watch the Film, ok, maybe because of the Supergirl Series...
    But it was in theaters, and then it was in video stores and such, meaning if people didn't actually see the movie itself, they may have been aware that it was made. So that's recognition right there.
    And there have been various characters as "Supergirl" dating back to 1959 (before even when I was born!), usually Kara Zor-El.

-Flash was aired on popular TV Channel on 20:15, Supergirl was also aired on this TV Channel, but Supergirl was transfered then to a smaller TV Channel and Flash was shown later..

So for me, yes Supergirl and Flash TV SERIES have Impact, BUT the rest is quite niche for me...
    Here in the U.S., there use to be three major, nationwide networks: ABC, CBS, and NBC. In the 1980s, a fourth one was established and made enough of an impact: FOX.
    The Supergirl TV series was seen on the CBS network for its first season.
    After that, it moved to the smaller, not as wide-spread network The CW, which Warner Bros. is involved with. The CW doesn't normally get as many viewers as ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. (The CW is the network that also has the TV shows Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow.)

Retired

For a long while there was a battle going on between Warner, Fox and several other rights holders over the BATMAN 1966 TV series. This meant you couldn't get the series on VHS or DVD unless it was a bootleg copy. That might have stopped legitimate TV stations from airing the series, as well. Imagine where we'd be now if Fox had won the rights--or ABC (which was the original broadcaster).

Once all that was settled, they were able to put out the DVD set. And there should be no hang-up with broadcasters legally airing the program. But maybe it's too little too late for some international markets. Anyway, don't we live in a global community--there's always a way for people to see whatever they want anywhere in the world (although some countries will put you in prison for doing that).

It could be that the Situation in America is different BUT:
    -1966 Batman Series was I think 20 Years ago last time in Free-TV
    -Titans wasnt aired in Free-TV
    -Young Justice neither

I'm also in Europe. United Kingdom and the Flash and supergirl TV series are big over here as is TT GO because they are all on TV. YJ and titans not so much because those aren't on free. However DCSHG is even bigger than all those [at least for my demographic Parents]

Batgirl and Harley Quinn are especially popular. Both the dolls and for World book day. WW and Supergirl you also see a few people dress as.

My kids are aware of the Robins through the movies and Injustice. They know characters like Beast Boy, Raven and the animated YJ characters from season 1&2 [we still haven't got the streaming service].

I think it's different all over the world and for different age groups.

WW is the no 3 with no 4 and 5 position going to Robin and Flash/Harley.[She is especially popular amongst young girls]