• Tim Drake

0 0%
  • Damian Wayne

0 0%
  • Jason Todd

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Wouldn’t number 3 be Superman? Batman is obviously number 1 but Wonder Woman has real world impact. She is a symbol for lots of people. Superman started everything but in 2019, he’s just another white guy who flies. That’s harsh but I don’t know why he’d be above 3 at this point.
    I think you have to consider the lifetime of the characters and not just who is hot right now. Superman has been in numerous movies and TV shows, has several comic books with him and supporting characters.
    Wonder Woman has only had a TV show and recently a movie, and beyond her only comic book, not much in the way of a franchise with that many comic books devoted to supporting character.

The poll results at the moment show:
    * Wonder Woman = 16 votes
    * Flash (Barry and Wally) = 2 votes
    * Green Lantern = 2 votes
    * Nightwing = 2 votes

I'm guessing any "Nightwing" votes would probably also have to factor in Dick's history as Robin; I don't know how well just "Nightwing" himself would be recognized by a non-comic book-reading public.

I'm also trying to figure how somebody would seriously consider Kon-El (who got A vote) to rank above Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, any or all Robins/former Robins, etc. in terms of overall popularity / importance to DC as a property for movies, television, and just overall licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    After the World's Finest
    I was a dedicated World's Finest fan but the World's Finest weren't really Superman + Batman for most of that series; they were Superman + Batman and Robin.

I'd like a more inclusive/representative DCU and that would start with WW as #3 I guess but to me OG Robin has always been #3 with WW #4.

At the least I consider Dick Grayson/Robin to be the fourth pillar of the DCU.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The poll results at the moment show:
    * Wonder Woman = 16 votes
    * Flash (Barry and Wally) = 2 votes
    * Green Lantern = 2 votes
    * Nightwing = 2 votes

I'm guessing any "Nightwing" votes would probably also have to factor in Dick's history as Robin; I don't know how well just "Nightwing" himself would be recognized by a non-comic book-reading public.

I'm also trying to figure how somebody would seriously consider Kon-El (who got A vote) to rank above Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, any or all Robins/former Robins, etc. in terms of overall popularity / importance to DC as a property for movies, television, and just overall licensing.
    Nightwings Comic Sales are very good, in the 90ies he was one of DC Best Seller and sold some years more than Wonder Woman...
    Nightwing was also in the Injustice Games and in the Arkham Games....
    Nightwing was also in the Young Justice Anime Series and in the Batman Anime Films, Titans Anime Film, which belongs to the DC Animated Universe...
    He is also often in the Batman Comics, logical as part of the Family, so I think that people would recognize him, at least in the Blue/Black Nightwing Dress, NOT in the first crazy ones...

I personally have to say that I am more surprised at the Green Lanterns popularity, because I personally have always seen them as kind of EXTRA Heroes like Hawkman etc. but not being so popular and important etc.

Kon El was popular in the 90ies with his Comic Series and nowadays also in the Young Justice (Anime Series), was in the Reign of Supermen (Anime Film), he returned recently in the Young Justice Comics, which also sells good for being a team who wasnt in DC for long time.....

Superboy logically has the iconic S on his chest and he is a younger Version of Superman, so his Name Superboy is quite intuitive....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Especially in the 90ies Nightwing and Superboy (Kon El) were very popular:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...6/1996-09.html

-Nightwing #2 was sold 54,866 times, which is Superman Region
    -Superboy #33 was sold 43,103 times
    -Wonder Woman #115 was sold 45,247

Nightwing sold for some time more Comics than Wonder Woman and he was one of DC Top-Seller and also the Kon El Solo Series of the 90ies worked well for some times...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has changed over years
    http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...les-march.html

This are more recent sales, Green Lantern had 2018 sales around 24,000 and Nightwing around 27,000...
    Catwoman surprisingly sales at the moment extremely good, at Superman Level and more...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Wouldn’t number 3 be Superman? Batman is obviously number 1 but Wonder Woman has real world impact. She is a symbol for lots of people. Superman started everything but in 2019, he’s just another white guy who flies. That’s harsh but I don’t know why he’d be above 3 at this point.
    I would rather replace Wonder Woman and put her outside of the Top 3...Wonder Woman lost her momentum and i would rather put her behind Flash at Nr.4...

Superman and Batman are close for Nr.1,
    Wonder Woman instead has more rivals for Nr.3 like Nightwing,Flash and Catwoman..

Batman and Superman are the icons and also the Top-Sellers of DC...
    Based on Solo-Comics Nightwing was long time the Nr.3, now Catwoman is Nr. 3 in bases of sales..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think you have to consider the lifetime of the characters and not just who is hot right now. Superman has been in numerous movies and TV shows, has several comic books with him and supporting characters.
    Wonder Woman has only had a TV show and recently a movie, and beyond her only comic book, not much in the way of a franchise with that many comic books devoted to supporting character.
    Besides "HOT RIGHT NOW" :

In Terms of AVERAGE SALES she is behind:

-Superman
    -Batman
    -Lantern
    -Harley
    -Catwoman
    -Flash
    -Shazam

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This is not based on actual sales but what I see from what DC put out

During the late Post Crisis to early New 52, it's Hal Jordan
    During the late New 52 to early Rebirth, it's Harley Quinn

I feel like the recent Wonder Woman's spike only happened during her movie, while Harley's popularity and promotion last longer, and also maybe because she's a character I didn't expect to get that much promo while for Wonder Woman it's to be expected, in fact, I expect more.

Overall though I think Wonder Woman still take it since she's been there a long time. Robin is a really big brand but filled by multiple characters. Same with Batgirl.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-09-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This is not based on actual sales but what I see from what DC put out

During the late Post Crisis to New 52, it's Hal Jordan
    During the late New 52 to early Rebirth, it's Harley Quinn

I feel like the recent Wonder Woman's spike only happened during her movie, while Harley's popularity and promotion last longer, or maybe because she's a character I didn't expect to get that much promo while Wonder Woman in her position is to be expected.
    this is based on the sales until March 2019

If you have other numbers etc. ok, but based on this Catwoman or Harley seem to be Nr.3...Catwoman had sales between 32,000 and 64,700 with 121,000 for Catwoman #1 at the end last year...

It is foolish using comic sales to try to determine who DC's no 3 is. Comic's are a niche market and account for a teeny amount of the actual money these characters make.

DC has told us who their top 3 Batman, Superman and Wonderwoman with Harley being called the 4th pillar. Then you have the Robin franchise, Flash is another biggie.

This poll has the most baffling choices. More than half the characters options are nowhere near DC's top 10 a few are not even B list lol
    Last edited by dietrich; 06-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    It is foolish using comic sales to try to determine who DC's no 3 is. Comic's are a niche market and account for a teeny amount of the actual money these characters make.

DC has told us who their top 3 Batman, Superman and Wonderwoman with Harley being called the 4th pillar. Then you have the Robin franchise, Flash is another biggie.

This poll has the most baffling choices. More than half the characters options are nowhere near DC's top 10 a few are not even B list lol
    Which choices would you sort out?
    Impulse,Damian,Jason,Cassie,Roy and Garth ok,maybe Donna....I would replace them with Catwoman,Harley....)

I would rather say:

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Flash and Wonder Woman (really close, Flash has his own TV Series, he is shown in the DCAU, he is shown prominently in Big Bang Theory, which also has MANY Fans and I think it also made him popular among Not-Comic-Readers....and he was also in the Justice League Film in Cinema)
    4. Harley,Nightwing and Catwoman (Nightwing was for long time among the best-sellers in Comics, is shown in Young Justice TV Series, Titans TV Series, in the DCAU...) and he was also in the Arkham Games...

I would also say that Kon El has a good chance to become a bigger star, he is the Main-Protagonist of the Young Justice TV Series, was shown prominently in the DCAU Film "Reign of the Supermen", will be in the Titans Series and recently turned back in Young Justice Comics, which first issue was a major Success with 71,000 sold copies....And he has the advantage of being part of the Superman Franchise...
    At the Moment he is in ALMOST every form of DC Franchise....

Shazam and Aquaman are difficult, both had their own Cinema Film now....Aquaman doesnt sell so much Comics, but Shazam might have gained momentum by the Cinema Film....
    Last edited by Masterff; 06-09-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Exactly. Go to amazon.com and enter the names of some superheroes in the search box to get an idea of the merchandising strength of the various characters, based on products offered.

Wonder Woman, Batman: 40k+
    Superman: 30k+
    Spiderman, Captain America: 20k+
    Hulk, Iron man, Captain Marvel: 10k+
    Green Lantern: 8k+
    Harley Quinn: 6k+

(Flash has over 100k hits, but that includes flash memory, camera flashes, and so on.)

Frankly, I was surprised by the strength of Wonder Woman's presence there compared to Superman and Spiderman (though some might be false positives). Wonder Woman also has the huge advantage of being one of relatively few superheroes with a readily recognisable iconography.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Which choices would you sort out?
    Impulse,Damian,Jason,Cassie,Roy and Garth ok,maybe Donna....I would replace them with Catwoman,Harley....)

I would rather say:

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Flash and Wonder Woman (really close, Flash has his own TV Series, he is shown in the DCAU, he is shown prominently in Big Bang Theory, which also has MANY Fans and I think it also made him popular among Not-Comic-Readers....and he was also in the Justice League Film in Cinema)
    4. Harley,Nightwing and Catwoman (Nightwing was for long time among the best-sellers in Comics, is shown in Young Justice TV Series, Titans TV Series, in the DCAU...) and he was also in the Arkham Games...

I would also say that Kon El has a good chance to become a bigger star, he is the Main-Protagonist of the Young Justice TV Series, was shown prominently in the DCAU Film "Reign of the Supermen", will be in the Titans Series and recently turned back in Young Justice Comics, which first issue was a major Success with 71,000 sold copies....And he has the advantage of being part of the Superman Franchise...
    At the Moment he is in ALMOST every form of DC Franchise....

Shazam and Aquaman are difficult, both had their own Cinema Film now....Aquaman doesnt sell so much Comics, but Shazam might have gained momentum by the Cinema Film....
    I would sort all the Robins all under one franchise because robin is one of DC's biggest and strongest IP's [a large part of that is due to Dick but the others have made strong contributions]

Harley should be there. Those 90's kids none of them are A listers so they are all gone along with Roy and donna.

Dick Grayson is tricky because not only is a major factor in why Robin is so huge, he's a major factor in why YJ, TT and Titans are successful. he is the Robin. the headliner in the most well known and most profitable iterations of those franchises.

I would have batgirl as an option and TT.

If you are only including individuals then Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Joker.

Shazam and Aquaman don't sell a ton of comics but comics are chicken change compared to outside media and merch. Aquaman's one movie making over a billion dollars compare that to the entire Superman franchise [comic, movies, merch, game everything since 1938] has grossed 11.1 billion to date. Bear in mind that Superman is DC's 2nd highest grossing media franchise so I'll def put Shazam and Aquaman as options.

A character like Kon el might have a chance of becoming a bigger star but so far I rank him below all the Robins except for Tim. Actually Kon ranks above Tim because of YJ Tv series, DCAU movie, upcoming Titans and possibility of joining injustice3.

Wonder Woman
    Flash
    Aquqman
    GL
    Shazam
    Green Arrow
    Harley
    Robin
    Dick Grayson
    Joker
    Batgirl or Barbara Gordon

Are the IP's options i would have. If teams are allowed then TT, JL and SS
    Last edited by dietrich; 06-09-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Mighty Member

I would sort all the Robins all under one franchise because robin is one of DC's biggest and strongest IP's [a large part of that is due to Dick but the others have made strong contributions]

Harley should be there. Those 90's kids none of them are A listers so they are all gone along with Roy and donna.

Dick Grayson is tricky because not only is a major factor in why Robin is so huge, he's a major factor in why YJ, TT and Titans are successful. he is the Robin. the headliner in the most well known and most profitable iterations of those franchises.

I would have batgirl as an option and TT.

If you are only including individuals then Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Joker.

Shazam and Aquaman don't sell a ton of comics but comics are chicken change compared to outside media and merch. Aquaman's one movie making over a billion dollars compare that to the entire Superman franchise [comic, movies, merch, game everything since 1938] has grossed 11.1 billion to date. Bear in mind that Superman is DC's 2nd highest grossing media franchise so I'll def put Shazam and Aquaman as options.

A character like Kon el might have a chance of becoming a bigger star but so far I rank him below all the Robins except for Tim. Actually Kon ranks above Tim because of YJ Tv series, DCAU movie, upcoming Titans and possibility of joining injustice3.

Wonder Woman
    Flash
    Aquqman
    GL
    Shazam
    Green Arrow
    Harley
    Robin
    Dick Grayson
    Joker
    Batgirl or Barbara Gordon

Are the IP's options i would have. If teams are allowed then TT, JL and SS
    I dont really agree 100% with that....

You should change Batgirl to CATWOMAN! Catwoman is more recognisable and she seems to be really strong at the moment

Yes Comics arent everything etc. BUT selling 121,000 copies of one issue is huge, she sells also good at the moment...

She had a movie on her own (Halle Berry), yes its outside the DC Universe, BUT also in the Batman TV Series etc. she was also shown and also in the Tim Burton Movie "Batman Returns" she was present and shown prominently...

I could also imagine that people on street will recognize her, she has a pretty iconic look...

BLACK CANARY maybe, but we have to wait until BIRDS OF PREY, but there was the Arrow TV Show, even she wasnt so perfect in the Series...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Exactly. Go to amazon.com and enter the names of some superheroes in the search box to get an idea of the merchandising strength of the various characters, based on products offered.

Wonder Woman, Batman: 40k+
    Superman: 30k+
    Spiderman, Captain America: 20k+
    Hulk, Iron man, Captain Marvel: 10k+
    Green Lantern: 8k+
    Harley Quinn: 6k+

(Flash has over 100k hits, but that includes flash memory, camera flashes, and so on.)

Frankly, I was surprised by the strength of Wonder Woman's presence there compared to Superman and Spiderman (though some might be false positives). Wonder Woman also has the huge advantage of being one of relatively few superheroes with a readily recognisable iconography.
    NOT TRUE!

1. if you insert Wonder Woman THEN YES!!! BUT!!You should put it "Wonder Woman" and then it gets reduced to 10,000!!
    2. Also then you still have normal shirts etc. because the description includes WOMAN....
    3. To be fair, most of the Wonder Woman Articles just came up, because of the Movie and because we will have a second movie

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I dont really agree 100% with that....

You should change Batgirl to CATWOMAN! Catwoman is more recognisable and she seems to be really strong at the moment

Yes Comics arent everything etc. BUT selling 121,000 copies of one issue is huge, she sells also good at the moment...

She had a movie on her own (Halle Berry), yes its outside the DC Universe, BUT also in the Batman TV Series etc. she was also shown and also in the Tim Burton Movie "Batman Returns" she was present and shown prominently...

I could also imagine that people on street will recognize her, she has a pretty iconic look...

BLACK CANARY maybe, but we have to wait until BIRDS OF PREY, but there was the Arrow TV Show, even she wasnt so perfect in the Series...
    You could be right. It's difficult to say who is bigger without having figures from merchandise and other licensed stuff. What did Batgirl no1 sell and did it have a sexy pin up variant since that is what makes the big difference with catwoman's recent comics.

I forgot Supergirl as well. she has her series and catwoman has had not just a movie but was also featured prominently on Gotham.