Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

I'm so looking forward to the Thor/Lobo Road Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    depends. classic thor doesn't seem to resist telepathy but then during AvsX he was able to resist phoenix Emmas tp. then again given the questionable outcomes of some of the bouts it may not count for much.
    Classic Thor gave classic Dr Strange a headache when he tried to read his mind.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    Classic Thor gave classic Dr Strange a headache when he tried to read his mind.
    Classic Thor has been mentally enslaved by Moondragon for an extended period when she was splitting her focus pretty extensively, so what are you trying to claim to there?

How would Led Luthor do trying to defeat, incriminate, and just generally be a dick to Thor?
    I assume Thor woukd kill him after a first failed scheme, but if for some reason he didn't, I wonder if they'd be a good hero/villain par. Lex could certainly clone Thor at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    How would Led Luthor do trying to defeat, incriminate, and just generally be a dick to Thor?
    I assume Thor woukd kill him after a first failed scheme, but if for some reason he didn't, I wonder if they'd be a good hero/villain par. Lex could certainly clone Thor at least.
    Who’s Led Luthor?

And is he more long-lasting, controllable and power-efficient than traditional Luthors?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Classic Thor has been mentally enslaved by Moondragon for an extended period when she was splitting her focus pretty extensively, so what are you trying to claim to there?
    That Thor has feats for resisting high end telepathy? I would have thought that was clear.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard

That Thor has feats for resisting high end telepathy? I would have thought that was clear.
    Yes Thor has all sorts of wild feats. But as Pendaran has already pointed out, he has contradictory showings as well

So going by the average, mean of showings over the characters history and character presentation and whatnot, as we do on this board, one would have to say Thor is not particularly resilient to telepathy

Or at least talking about the times he's resisted the same, is meaningless without addressing the contradictory showings. Merely claiming Thor has an ability is not enough, without justifying it

Let's try this again, Thor getting enslaved by Moondragon, are you saying that's a low showing that should be discarded? Xavier puts Thor to sleep, low showing that should be discarded? Red Skull with some of Xavier's power, and an assist from Honest John, mind controlling Thor to fight for him, low showing that should be discarded?

Just to pre-empt some things that I've found come up when people try to talk up Thor's telepathic resistances, we're talking about Thor here, not characters someone might want to sub in for Thor in order to make claims about Thor via them, and that we're talking about Thor here, not a Thor amped up by a Warrior Madness so similar to the non artificial thing that Odin felt if left unchecked it would infect the rest of Asgard.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-16-2019 at 08:18 AM.

So going by the average, mean of showings over the characters history and character presentation and whatnot, as we do on this board, one would have to say Thor is not particularly resilient to telepathy
    I would mostly say in this case that when you get to high end/planetary scale telepaths and beyond, that is not something Thor especially resists in a valid showing sort of way. You can go from there to say other things, but in this case I'm making something of an "at minimum.." statement.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-16-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Yes Thor has all sorts of wild feats. But as Pendaran has already pointed out, he has contradictory showings as well

Or at least talking about the times he's resisted the same, is meaningless without addressing the contradictory showings. Merely claiming Thor has an ability is not enough, without justifying it
    Just to nitpick a bit, we do NOT go by a mean of the character's showings here. We go by high-end feats consistent with the character's presentation. Now, those two things - the mean and the high-end/consistent to presentation - could be similar: especially in the case of someone like Thor and his mental resistance. The dude has caused trouble for people with crazy high end abilities, but he's also fallen prey just fine to planetary-level telepathy, and in fact USUALLY falls to that level of stuff. His presentation is of someone who is resistant to, but not outright invulnerable to, mental shenanigans.

In this particularly rumble, I doubt the difference in mental resistance between Odinson and Kal-El makes the difference between most of their rogues hurting either of them. Thor can deal better with certain magical foes, has much better esoterics, and doesn't have a specific weakness, and Clark has a massive, gigantic speed edge. Most people on either of their lists who use mind-whammies are strong enough to take down either of them.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Okay...probably opening Pandoras box here...but if Thor succumbs to planetary level telepaths...then where are we drawing the line as far as Thor's actual TP resistance.

?

BONUS: same question as to Superman.

Edit...I guess I'm saying who below planetary level telepaths have either Thor or Clark resisted successfully?
    Last edited by Cronus; 06-17-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.