Mighty Member

Default Is Rebirth rebooting itself?

Hello
    I read that
    https://www.newsarama.com/45509-dc-s...e-history.html
    https://www.newsarama.com/45157-retu...g-justice.html

This sounds almost like the Timeline is rebooting ITSELF?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The people in charge just don't seem to care about continuity anymore and just let the writers do what they want without caring if it makes sense or night right now. Characters keep showing up with past history intact even if they have not been seen since before Flashpoint. It is just a giant mess right now. There is no big plan in place just a "screw it do what you want" mentality which is why DC is such a mess right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The people in charge just don't seem to care about continuity anymore and just let the writers do what they want without caring if it makes sense or night right now. Characters keep showing up with past history intact even if they have not been seen since before Flashpoint. It is just a giant mess right now. There is no big plan in place just a "screw it do what you want" mentality which is why DC is such a mess right now.
    That laxed approach may be because they could be brewing up something next year.
    I've seen rumors of a new Crisis next year, hopefully to sort out Doomsday Clock, Rebirth, the Source Wall, Heroes in Crisis and everything else.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The biggest thing that keeps me away from DC is its terrible continuity. I've stopped caring about character history and just read arcs. I pick up books from random points/issues and just read from there. If I did that with Marvel, I'd have yanked my hair out, but with DC it's just such a mess that I've been defeated.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 06-08-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

The same goes for Marvel. Writers are more interested in using a version of a character they want rather than stick to what some previous writer established for the character. Part of that is laziness, but on the DC front, writers don't have the time to get a character (and then evolve him to a status quo they want) since most rank and file writers aren't expected to stay on a book for very long (due to a combination of factors including the current editorial regime at DC)
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-08-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That laxed approach may be because they could be brewing up something next year.
    I've seen rumors of a new Crisis next year, hopefully to sort out Doomsday Clock, Rebirth, the Source Wall, Heroes in Crisis and everything else.
    I think your giving Didio/Lee way to much credit. I mean it looked like Johns had a plan all mapped out with Rebirth and then those two basically undercut everything he was planning which is why things are such a mess now.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think your giving Didio/Lee way to much credit. I mean it looked like Johns had a plan all mapped out with Rebirth and then those two basically undercut everything he was planning which is why things are such a mess now.
    Collectively, Johns, Didio, and Lee should be known as the Lords of Order (Johns) and Chaos (Didio and Lee).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Blame WB and Tsujihara. Johns and Diane Nelson took the fall for that Snyder Justice League movie and Johns lost his Chief Creative Officer job and any influence he had over Didio/Lee/Harras.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

They keep rebooting because they keep losing their soles.
    It socks.

(I'm suffering from heat prostration. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    They keep rebooting because they keep losing their soles.
    It socks.

(I'm suffering from heat prostration. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
    Lie down in the shade with a cool, wet towel over your head. You should feel better within an hour.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

I'm not the biggest wally West fan.... But I'm hoping hero's in crisis was just Dr Manhattan 's manipulation....

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It almost seems like Lee is trying to turn DC into the old Image. Where creators are free to just do whatever they want. Maybe there's a larger plan for next year but it's looking dubious at best. I assume Doomsday Clock is leading somewhere but I can't imagine where. Unless it's just to restore the pre-Flashpoint continuity outright. Which the other two would have to sign off on and I don't know that Didio would do that. That would mean we just wasted nearly ten years trying to get back to where we were before when sales weren't so great prompting the New 52 in the first place. Leaving this problem to rear its head again five years down the line. TBH, a hard reboot or line wide clean up of some kind is in order to avoid that. Of course by then, floppies will be so expensive that DC will be debating junking them altogether.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It almost seems like Lee is trying to turn DC into the old Image. Where creators are free to just do whatever they want. Maybe there's a larger plan for next year but it's looking dubious at best. I assume Doomsday Clock is leading somewhere but I can't imagine where. Unless it's just to restore the pre-Flashpoint continuity outright. Which the other two would have to sign off on and I don't know that Didio would do that. That would mean we just wasted nearly ten years trying to get back to where we were before when sales weren't so great prompting the New 52 in the first place. Leaving this problem to rear its head again five years down the line. TBH, a hard reboot or line wide clean up of some kind is in order to avoid that. Of course by then, floppies will be so expensive that DC will be debating junking them altogether.
    I wonder about that . . .
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Honestly I think that's all Doomsday Clock will do in the end. Just bring back those last remaining missing vestiges that aren't back yet. That's it. Its just that what will be done with them once its back is up Didio and Lee now, probably not Johns. It likely won't lead into the next thing, as is so often the pattern at DC, because Johns' doesn't have much influence anymore. For better or worse (and for me it will be a mixed bag; he plans things a lot better than Didio and Lee, but I'm not much a fan of his preferred status quos anymore). The true "event that leads to the next event" type set-up is happening in the pages of Justice League now--and perhaps to an equal-or-lesser extent Event Leviathan--not Doomsday Clock anymore. What Doomsday Clock brings back looks like it'll be respected (at least for a while), but doesn't appear likely to be the lead in to anything else as far as the larger direction goes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El