Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Lightbulb Falcon16's Atomica Contest!

I have a problem that nobody except me cares about. Do you remember in Forever Evil when Atomica made herself small enough to get inside Scorch's head and burst a blood vessel, killing him? We never got to see Atomica inside Scorch save for a description from Atomica about where she was (and even then, it didn't go into detail about what it looked like.) We only got to see Atomica emerging from Scorch's nose after he died. I think the goal was to have readers imagine it, but I am OBSESSED with the human body thanks to an episode of SpongeBob AND an episode of Teen Titans, so I was DEVASTATED Scorch's innards weren't shown. It's probably one of the biggest let downs I've ever had in my life (surpassing Toonami's "Countdown" event), so much to the point where I am NEVER going to read that issue again.

So here comes the catch. I have decided to not only voice my quite humiliating problem, but I'm holding a contest to see if those of you who can draw can do an alternative take on that scene where we actually see Atomica inside Scorch's bloodstream and brain, in front of the blood vessel, and her kicking it, causing Scorch to die. Winner receives a picture of Black Manta I drew.

Requirements:
    • You must own a copy of Justice League #27 (New 52) or read it online
    • You must copy Atomica's dialogue from the scene word for word, because this is from her perspective. (It'd be nice if you used the actual panels of Scorch dying from the comic instead of having to copy them.)
    • You must be as close as you can to Ivan Reis' art style. Doesn't have to be exact, but I'd still like to see you try.

All entries must be submitted to my PM inbox.

If you think I'm weird and insane from this, note that I do feel sorry for Scorch. It's just that I find the human body interesting, and I would like to know what Scorch looks like on the inside. (I've aced Science class due to my love of the human body.) In fact, I was hesitant to post this.

Please don't make fun of me for this. I'd like to see several people try their best to make a 16 year old girl happy.

EDIT: Also on Reddit
    Last edited by Falcon16; 06-08-2019 at 02:01 PM.

LOL great, unique and unexpected thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    We only got to see Atomica emerging from Scorch's nose after he died. ]
    That's his nose ? It just looks like a weird mess of anatomy?

Winner receives a picture of Black Manta I drew.

[*]You must be as close as you can to Ivan Reis' art style. Doesn't have to be exact, but I'd still like to see you try.
    Curious you ask others to be "as close as you can to Ivan Reis' art style"
    Can we see your rendition of Black Manta, just curious?
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-08-2019 at 02:29 PM.

As close as you can to Ivan Reis' art style means copying his style as best you can.

If I showed you my rendition of Black Manta, that would be giving away the prize. It's what you'd expect of a typical 16 year old. I hope you're okay with that.

Do you know how to draw and do you own this issue of Justice League?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That's his nose ? It just looks like a weird mess of anatomy?
    After Scorch says his last words and blood starts coming out of him, Atomica comes out through Scorch's nose. Reread issue 27. You might be thinking of the part where Niles sees everybody dead. Remember, I don't want to see an image of the scene where Atomica kills Scorch again (unless it's one of the contest entries and therefore has the reader shown Atomica inside Scorch) because I got mad and let down. It's like I don't want to see any images of Grid's death.

The real reason I'm obsessed with Scorch and his innards all of a sudden may be due to the episode of the Iron Man cartoon where he goes inside Hawkeye. Atomica said she was in Scorch's bloodstream, well I want to SEE it because it reminds me of Tony inside Hawkeye's bloodstream. I just think of Scorch as a Hawkeye-like character for some reason.
    Last edited by Falcon16; 06-08-2019 at 03:20 PM.

do you own this issue of Justice League?
    I'm looking at it right now, that's a nose? Looks more like an ear.
    In the previous panel there is blood dripping from his nostrils where is it here?
    Also why is his hair right next to his nose?

Do you know how to draw?
    Not really, but I'm also looking at an illustration cross section of the "anterior cerebral circulation" which she describes traveling through,
    And I could probably edit an existing picture of her, into the cross section.
    cause for some reason this thread fascinates me, and has me curious.
    Although I don't know what exactly she kicks to kill him, as she describes. Is it the actual blood vessel she is traveling in?
    Which I imagine is the moment you want illustrated?

Or I'd be curious to see someone actually draw this for you LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-09-2019 at 04:35 AM.

I'm looking at it right now, that's a nose?
    I advised not to show any pictures of the scene to me earlier. You're going to get me mad, and to quote Bruce Banner, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry." (It actually kinda looks like his mouth or ear and it's getting me even angrier.) Please remove the image.

Remember, I don't want to see an image of the scene where Atomica kills Scorch again (unless it's one of the contest entries and therefore has the reader shown Atomica inside Scorch) because I got mad and let down. It's like I don't want to see any images of Grid's death.

Not really, but I'm also looking at an illustration cross section of the "anterior cerebral circulation" which she describes,
    And I could probably edit an existing picture of her, into the cross section.
    cause for some reason this thread has me curious.
    Although I don't know what exactly she kicks to kill him, as she describes.
    DO NOT edit an existing picture of her! The contest calls for someone who can draw it similar to Ivan Reis! Find someone who can draw! I want talent!

She kicks a blood vessel.

I was thinking you could use Hawkeye's bloodstream as a reference for Scorch's bloodstream, but looking at it again it doesn't look realistic

I wonder why Ivan Reis and Geoff Johns didn't show Atomica inside Scorch. Are they scared of inside the human body stuff?
    Last edited by Falcon16; 06-08-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Removing the image.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

LOL!

Tried to edit an image from the previous page.

FYI It's Ivan Reis layouts and Joe Prado and Jesus Merino Finishes.
    I wonder why Ivan Reis and Geoff Johns didn't show Atomica inside Scorch. Are they scared of inside the human body stuff?
    Maybe they felt it's more powerful not seeing it, or rather experiencing it from the outside, where you don't see what she is doing but instead imagine it through Scorch's actual expression, his realization that the voice is coming from inside him.
    Having her describe what she is about to do to him is more terrifying than actually seeing it, (which might look a bit silly see edit above, and the blood wouldn't go red till it hit oxygen), instead you have to imagine the scene inside, by way of the real horror in his face; his realization, his eyes suddenly rolling back, to white, then red, as his head and artery's within fill with blood. To finally it appearing and dripping out of his eyes, and nose, as you realize the effects of whatever she did inside.
    It's terrifying.

I think that's what they were going for.

Still looking forward to see what anyone comes up with for you.
    Fun thread.
    And hopefully the "winner" , share the forthcoming Black Manta drawing with us.
    Good luck!

Also we really need a Rhonda Pineda Atomica appreciation thread.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Maybe they felt it's more powerful not seeing it, or rather experiencing it from the outside, where you don't see what she is doing but instead imagine it through Scorch's actual expression, his realization that the voice is coming from inside him.
    Having her describe what she is about to do to him is more terrifying than actually seeing it, (which might look a bit silly see edit above, and the blood wouldn't go red till it hit oxygen), instead you have to imagine the scene inside, by way of the real horror in his face; his realization, his eyes suddenly rolling back, to white, then red, as his head and artery's within fill with blood. To finally it appearing and dripping out of his eyes, and nose, as you realize the effects of whatever she did.
    It's terrifying.

I think that's what they were going for.
    Yeah but to this LOVER of the HUMAN BODY it doesn't work. It'd be better seeing Atomica inside him because inside the human body is normally terrifying to some people. It's not silly. **** like the Iron Man cartoon where they didn't depict it realistically is silly.

where you don't see what she is doing
    But lots of people suffer from inner body fears and seeing what she is doing makes it more gross and better in my eyes. This is not a psychological horror film, this is a superhero comic book; it's okay to show her inside him.

Case in point? It's not more powerful not seeing it. In fact, it's less scarier to some readers. It'd be scarier if they showed it. Plus more reminiscent of...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5j-KEO8us

(That's where the spinal injury Hawkeye joke comes from BTW)

Also that background doesn't look human body ish enough for me. It almost veers on Iron Man cartoon territory.

And I actually hate Atomica. (I think it's because of this. I also imagine her with Arleen Sorkin's Harley Quinn voice.) I'd rather have a Grid Appreciation Thread.

Still looking forward to see what anyone comes up with for you.
    Fun thread.
    And hopefully the "winner" , share the forthcoming Black Manta drawing with us.
    Good luck!
    How can we advertise the contest? I've tried PM'ing a few artists and asking in the "Seeking Talent" thread, can you do something too? I also posted a Reddit link advertising my contest.
    Last edited by Falcon16; 06-09-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Added a few more explanation and added quote

Bump. I understand this is supposed to make it powerful and "scary," and I do recall something similar happening in a Super Mario OVA from the nineties I saw when I was young. (Isshunboshi Mario kills Bowser, who had swallowed him, through his stomach.) However, I was a little kid, and I was too young to know sexual desires. Because we didn't see inside, I didn't make the connotation that it was supposed to be endo not shown. I was a little dumb then. Because I saw this when I was 16, and my sexual desires were more rampant, and it was described (the Mario OVA had no dialogue when this happened), I made the connotation, and boy, was I livid.

The scene still bothers me now. Why I'm even looking at it again is stupid, if I know it's gonna make me mad. Scotty is 16, the legal age of consent in NJ, so it's okay. What I did was have a scene in my DCU where Batgirl and Bumblebee interrogate Atomica, and in one of the flashbacks of her doing bad, she's shown inside Scotty kicking his artery. It's gonna look like the Young Justice endo scene inside Jaime Reyes. And Atomica is voiced by Fran Drescher... so... SPACE GHOST LOVES THE NANNY!!