Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default A time travel question.. (Endgame Spoilers)

So I was contemplating this today and I'm sure it's been talked about already but...

Okay so it's established in Endgame that time travel isn't possible within one's own timeline and instead time travel involves jumping to alternate timelines that don't affect the present.

So how does this explain what Thanos did in terms of reversing time to take the Mind Stone from Vision in Infinity War?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    So I was contemplating this today and I'm sure it's been talked about already but...

Okay so it's established in Endgame that time travel isn't possible within one's own timeline and instead time travel involves jumping to alternate timelines that don't affect the present.

So how does this explain what Thanos did in terms of reversing time to take the Mind Stone from Vision in Infinity War?
    That's not what was established at all.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That's not what was established at all.
    It was established that they couldn't make changes to their own timeline, correct?

And that still doesn't answer my main question.

BANNED

It was established that they couldn't make changes to their own timeline, correct?

No, that was specifically what they did not establish and went to great pains to establish they absolutely could do that.

I will refer you to this thread so as not to rehash an old subject

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...game-Spoilers/
    Last edited by AJBopp; 06-08-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

They actually did say the past couldn't be changed by going back in time. But there are 2 different theories of time travel going on in the movie. The writers and directors disagree on what's actually happening.

Boisterously Confused

I'm guessing that The Stones are artifacts from Beyond Physics As We Understand It and get to play by different rules. (hence, retrieving The Soul Stone requiring the sacrifice of someone you love)

If that doesn't work for you: Because Plot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    They actually did say the past couldn't be changed by going back in time. But there are 2 different theories of time travel going on in the movie. The writers and directors disagree on what's actually happening.
    The writers, having created the story, have the only opinion that counts, however.

Ultimate Member

Matter of scale, if nothing else. Thanos, with all the gems working together through the time stone, only reversed time in a small localized area, undoing the last minute at most, before the destruction of the mind stone could have any further impact on the timeline. Plus, ya know, time stone, not a method of time travel itself

Ultimate Member

The writers, having created the story, have the only opinion that counts, however.
    Is Loki still alive in the present? Did Thanos not get the time stone?

Then yeah, alternate reality.

Extraordinary Member

Well if we're going by billing it's the Director's opinion who holds the most weight.

Except that's not how these movies are made. The writers 100% turn the story into a script. But they did not come up with the story alone. The Russos outlined alot of the events of the movie. Havent seen an interview where they claim credit for all the time travel stuff so cant say but given alot of things especially how Caps and Ironmans storys end was planned by the Russos years ago. I'd love to see a BTS doc about them making these movies to see the exact process. But the Russos have made it clear they are heavily involved in crafting these stories from inception. And the Russos have the all the creative control, so seems silly that the writers who didnt write the story alone anyway know better. Plus the Russos version just makes more sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Is Loki still alive in the present? Did Thanos not get the time stone?

Then yeah, alternate reality.
    Agree. Not relevant to the question though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Except that's not how these movies are made. The writers 100% turn the story into a script. But they did not come up with the story alone. The Russos outlined most alot if the events of the movie. Havent seen an interview where they claim credit for all the time travel stuff so cant say but given alot of things especially how Caps and Ironmans storys end was planned by the Russos years ago.
    Can't agree with this. The story is what it is, and the writers create it. The director visualizes it, regardless whether s(he) had a say in the story or not.

The story, the script, belongs to the writers. No one else. That's what they are for. That's why they have a job. To create the story.

If there is a disconnect between the writers and the directors in the elements of the story, that's a problem with the directors, not the writers. The directors should know the story they are directing.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 06-08-2019 at 04:01 PM.