Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Just because he's black? Nah. If he--or she-- is a good character in his/her own right? Oh yeah. It seems to me we've finally passed the point where we 'need' black people in variations on established names, a "black Dare-devil," a "black Invisible Woman". If we're going for an alternative Hawkeye, I'd like to see a politically outspoken tribal American, a Sioux warrior (male or female), someone with a heritage and tradition of bow and arrow use who's taken it to 'super-hero levels'. Not necessarily someone angry, just someone who knows what's going on in the U.S. today, has a sense of history regarding native peoples, and a burning desire to do right. I bet he/she'd be good friends (after a while) with either or both current Hawkeyes.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Bullseye has had no lack of exposure. And Shang Chi is about to be a movie star.
    Okay, I have not understand correctly. I thought you said "they aren't credible in a current setting".

Every character with the right impulse could be selling, still looking at the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    They are hard to sell too actually. xD
    Don't forget Bulleye was in Daredevil movie and has had plenty of toys and books with him in it.

Just search Bulleye Marvel in Amazon.

Shang had a long running series. He also has 11 trades. There are guys who have been seen NONSTOP in media that can't boast that.

Don't let comic book sales define sales. Because in all reality comic book stores don't MATTER. They have been used as a weapon to gatekeep certain demos from being used or having support.

How many books had Blade have? Yet who has 3 (soon to be 4) movies and 2 tv shows.

They aren't hard to "sell" in a limited setting aka few superhumans around streel level conflict. It is hard to sell non-superpowered types in full superhero setting today modern culture sells them as a joke. Hawkeye was the butt of jokes in popular culture, Black Widow was the butt of jokes as well. The archer type specifically comes off a bit silly in full superhero setting, There is no logical reason for Hawkeye not use a gun that is the general thinking. If people want to disagree fine but as tech evolving and the audience moves further away from the people who grew up with robin hood, yeah it is hard to explain why the guy with bow and arrow is a superhero. As cool we think something is they are a generation of people who are growing up differently. Batman is one few heroes who escape non-power stigma but batman treated as near-superhuman in presentation .
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-03-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They aren't hard to "sell" in a limited setting aka few superhumans around streel level conflict. It is hard to sell non-superpowered types in full superhero setting today modern culture sells them as a joke. Hawkeye was the butt of jokes in popular culture, Black Widow was the butt of jokes as well. The archer type specifically comes off a bit silly in full superhero setting, There is no logical reason for Hawkeye not use a gun that is the general thinking. If people want to disagree fine but as tech evolving and the audience moves further away from the people who grew up with robin hood, yeah it is hard to explain why the guy with bow and arrow is a superhero. As cool we think something is they are a generation of people who are growing up differently. Batman is one few heroes who escape non-power stigma but batman treated as near-superhuman in presentation .
    Eh. The problem imo was introducing him as a SHIELD agent. That's not Clint. He's like Casey Jones from the first live-action TMNT movie. He's counter culture, anti-authority, and a total x-factor. You're supposed to underestimate him and be impressed by his chutzpah. SHIELD having an archer on the payroll makes no sense. Having some civilian show up out of nowhere to defend New York from aliens with a bow could have been fun; just sniping aliens from the shadows. Then explain that he's an Olympic archer or something and keep him at vigilante level until Rogers is recruiting people for Civil War. What sells Clint is his attitude. He's not impressed by people with powers. He trusts that his skill will overcome any power deficit. He's a gunslinger who chooses the bow for the challenge of it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

For the 616, no. Here's why:

1. At best, it'd be a hand-me-down identity at best and a loaner identity at worst. A new character, black or otherwise, deserves better.
    2. Any marketing resources devoted to such a character should be devoted to the identity they are going to keep, not one they'll only have for a time.
    3. You'll end up dividing the fan base between the traditionalists, the SJWs, and the actual racists. Of course, the traditionalists will get falsely accused of being racist. Dividing the fan base is generally a bad idea.

If you are doing an ongoing that is either set in an alternate universe or uses characters from alternate universes, go for it. That is a big part of the fun!

I know we have two Hawkeyes right now. Personally, I think Kate will sooner or later get her own code name. I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

I've seen some names that have been proposed for Kate, granted they are mostly Hawkeye derivatives but I think they work better than just plain Hawkeye.

These include - Hawkbird, Hawkeye Jr., Young Hawkeye, Lady Hawkeye, Hawkingbird, Hawkette, and Arrowhead.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I've seen some names that have been proposed for Kate, granted they are mostly Hawkeye derivatives but I think they work better than just plain Hawkeye.

These include - Hawkbird, Hawkeye Jr., Young Hawkeye, Lady Hawkeye, Hawkingbird, Hawkette, and Arrowhead.
    None of those feel right. Ladyhawk came to mind, but there could be copyright issues with it.

I'm just looking for something to differentiate her from Hawkeye, and those fit the bill.

I'm just looking for something to differentiate her from Hawkeye, and those fit the bill.
    Honestly Kate Bishop has one of those names which sort of work without a code name. Sort of like Kitty Pryde. Yeah, you can call her Sprite or Aerial or Shadow Cat but Kitty Pryde always worked fine. I think the same can be said for Kate Bishop. She doesn't need a code name honestly.

they should have just called her Trickshot. there was no reason to bring Barney back.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    None of those feel right. Ladyhawk came to mind, but there could be copyright issues with it.
    would there be? there's a MC2 character named Ladyhawk, iirc. or since all of the Young Avengers have really unimaginative names as-is, they could have just called her something like 'Arch.'

Would you want to see an asian Storm!? Or a mexican Monet!?

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Would you want to see an asian Storm!? Or a mexican Monet!?
    Monet isn't a codename. and Storm, according to Christopher Claremont, is a combination of all races. you need to work on your analogies.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they should have just called her Trickshot. there was no reason to bring Barney back.
    I thought they only brought Barney back for that Revengers thing Bendis did.
    "Cable was right!"