Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Like as a completely separate character or a race-flip of Clint...?

I don't even think there was a need for a 2nd Hawkeye, lol.

I can think of one logical reason for this: a continuity similar to MC2. He'd be the child of Kate and her current boyfriend Fuse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Like as a completely separate character or a race-flip of Clint...?
    Separate I guess.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Two Hawkeye's is already one too many.

Let Hawkeye be Hawkeye, let Blackguy get his own name.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

If we're talking about making Kate Bishop black in the movies, I don't really have strong feelings on the subject. If you're talking about making a third Hawkeye, I would say no.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    And it's not as if there's a high bar to becoming a Hawkeye. You just have to be good at archery and have a disaster of a personal life
    I read this and in genuinely made me sad. Nothing against the poster but the fact that Present Marvel has lowered such an outstanding character an hero to a level that you can't help but think of him in this manner.

Reading the old stuff when it came to the "normal" humans, Hawkeye was one of the elite. A pinnacle of not only what it meant to be a hero but to be a man doing his best with what little he had. Smh

However, to answer the OP's question...No there should not be a Black Hawkeye. For multiple reasons but the major one is that society and Present Marvel has conditioned Black Culture to the ideals that we can not be anything or achieve anything on our own without the validation of white and/or popular culture. They first have to say it ok or be fine with it before our culture can do almost anything worth doing. Combine with on-going conditioning of trying to make our men passive/docile so that they will feel "safe" being around us.

If Marvel, DC, Image, or whoever else is truly interested in making a black iconic character they should start from scratch and prove over and over again why their character is great through works.

*2 cents thrown*
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-09-2019 at 05:25 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

We probably don't need another character named Hawkeye walking around.

If they want to create another archer character who happens to be black, that's cool. But 3 characters walking around with the same name almost sounds uncreative.

Though I do think if they want another minority Legacy character for Clint, having an asian character named Ronin would be easy to justify.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

There are many ways in which I wouldn't mind it.

I don't think many superhero monikers are precious. Considering how many times that Clint has ditched the "Hawkeye" name and that there has been as many as 3 people actively using it at a time. I don't think we can pretend that it's special.

If a creative team decides that having another skilled archer put on a purple suit would make for a good story, I see no reason as to why they shouldn't. If they're making that story, making them non-white would be a good idea. Not all backgrounds are intrinsically tied into race, but it's a well to pull from when developing a character. We had two grew up poor Hawkeyes, and a grew up rich Hawkeye. All of them Caucasian. There's a lot of in-between that can be explored.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-09-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

iMan 42s

Don't insert diversity for the sake of it, likewise don't change anything for the sake of it. But at the end of the day, a black Hawkeye would be completely fine.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I read this and in genuinely made me sad. Nothing against the poster but the fact that Present Marvel has lowered such an outstanding character an hero to a level that you can't help but think of him in this manner.

Reading the old stuff when it came to the "normal" humans, Hawkeye was one of the elite. A pinnacle of not only what it meant to be a hero but to be a man doing his best with what little he had. Smh

However, to answer the OP's question...No there should not be a Black Hawkeye. For multiple reasons but the major one is that society and Present Marvel has conditioned Black Culture to the ideals that we can not be anything or achieve anything on our own without the validation of white and/or popular culture. They first have to say it ok or be fine with it before our culture can do almost anything worth doing. Combine with on-going conditioning of trying to make our men passive/docile so that they will feel "safe" being around us.

If Marvel, DC, Image, or whoever else is truly interested in making a black iconic character they should start from scratch and prove over and over again why their character is great through works.

*2 cents thrown*
    That last part is why Cyborg is so great. He's a teenager given superpowers and very smart. "BOOYAH!"
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I think black Hawkeye could work, after all, the role has been given to a woman and a deaf guy already. What do you guys say? Should we introduce a black legacy character that rivals John Stewart in terms of good?
    Since the only characteristic you've given this character is simply being black, then no. Not that it couldn't work, but like any new character, it's about the execution. Off the bat, I'd also echo what some have said, which is that having yet another POC follow in the footsteps of a white hero doesn't seem to make people happy. Why not have any new POC character forge their own identity? New characters are difficult these days to catch on no matter what so might as well start off not rehashing tropes that don't really help with progress, imo.

Or just put that effort into reviving Night Thrasher! Make him team with Hawkeye or something, but as peers not "original white guy and POC copy-cat."

There is nothing about Hawkeye or his origin or history that makes a black Hawkeye awkward. There's also nothing about a black archer that's particularly weird. So a black Hawkeye, to me, is nothing special. If I were handling a new black Hawkeye, I'd probably go with a black archer character who is talented. I'd start him off woith a different name and somehow a story bringing him in as Hawkeye could be written. Ideally there would be character qualities that would contrast the new Hawkeye from Clint and Kate.

But to me, no need and no big deal if it happened.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, on paper a black Hawkeye could work yeah, but honestly Hawkeye isn't exactly a character that is screaming he needs another "legacy character" especially considering neither Clint nor Kate actually have active running books at the moment.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, on paper a black Hawkeye could work yeah, but honestly Hawkeye isn't exactly a character that is screaming he needs another "legacy character" especially considering neither Clint nor Kate actually have active running books at the moment.
    Yeah, I think in practical terms legacy characters usually go to high profile characters who have their own long running solo books. Giving a legacy character to a hero who sits in limbo half the time just means there's one more character sitting in limbo. That's why you get She-Hulks and Supergirls and Kid Flashes, etc. There are characters who can actually provide a viable home for the legacy character to show up in every month.