Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever get another Etta Candy as good as the one we got in LoWW.

Marston's characterization of Diana is unparalleled. She's strong, sassy, compassionate, and confident. We lose a lot of her personality in other runs (sorry, Perez), even if those runs are stellar themselves.
    Renae de Liz seems to be doing some stuff for DC again, so hopefully if they let her do more WW stuff.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wonder if we'll ever get another Etta Candy as good as the one we got in LoWW.

Marston's characterization of Diana is unparalleled. She's strong, sassy, compassionate, and confident. We lose a lot of her personality in other runs (sorry, Perez), even if those runs are stellar themselves.
    I think the closest may be Morrison's, who if nothing else in their WW books at least nails how awesome Etta and the Holliday Girls are (as well as the best version of Psycho).

I do agree that I miss those components of her characterization which don't really show up in Perez or Rucka, even though they write other aspects of her very well. Weirdly, Azzarello wrote Diana pretty close to Golden Age Diana in a lot of scenes. It's just a shame about, y'know...the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I agree, as much as I can see that it isn't the ideology we need, it's still crazy that he was able to write about that stuff and I'm sad that we haven't seen more people bring a purposeful vision to Wonder Woman. She went from being this revolutionary character to just being a vague symbol of compassionatr strength whose main goal is just being a symbolic figure even inside within the reality of the comics
    Perez, Rucka and Jiminez did. The issue is DC not enforcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    But how can they remove gender essentialism in a morally evolved society only composed of women? It seems inherent to them. And again, it's ok, as long as it's something that is addressed and hopefully resolved inside the stories.
    Easily. Because the gender essentialism in Marston has a lot to do with how Diana is presented.

Now, building a good modern Themyscira is not easy—it's one of the trickiest world-building projects you can take on. But gender essentialism will not necessarily become an issue.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Perez, Rucka and Jiminez did. The issue is DC not enforcing it.
    Yeah, can’t really agree with this idea Marston is the only one who tried that stuff or that he’s the only one who did it well.

Justice League Action Diana had those qualities presented pretty well in my opinion.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Fair points! Well, I suppose Marston could very well be criticized for the bondage angle, especially since WW was usually put into these submissive positions... Perhaps that's why I viewed it as anti-feminist in my youth... on the whole tho, sexual liberation is important, especially in a country like the U.S. that is historically afraid of discussing anything sexual in polite society. That said, the reason I consider Marston a hero was because of his progressive attitudes and beliefs toward altternative relations/sex and his openly polyamory lifestyle in a time when that was unheard of.
    I agree with you on the first part of your comments. Not on the second part of your comments. His progressive attitudes, alternative relation\sex or openly polyamory lifestyle did nothing for him and didn't do the WW character any good!! Again i think it turns a lot of people off, even today. A lot of people were put off by his lifestyle and for that reason it hurt the WW character. Sexual liberation did nothing for the U.S. in general, that was mostly for people in the entertainment business that live that lifestyle.
    Last edited by lotchj; 12-25-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    WHY??? I don't think of him as a hero. I think the bondage stuff hurts WW, even until to this day that bondage stuff turns a lot of people off!!
    Do you think Wonder Woman was more of a dominatrix than a superheroine character?

No not really. Holliday Girls should be brought back. Trained by Diana or someone else to be Diana's army. That was their original purpose

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I agree with on the first part of your comments. Not on the second part of your comments. His progressive attitudes, alternative relation\sex or openly polyamory lifestyle did nothing for him and didn't do the WW character any good!! Again i think it turns a lot of people off, even today. A lot of people were put off by his lifestyle and for that reason it hurt the WW character. Sexual liberation did nothing for the U.S. in general, that was mostly for people in the entertainment business that live that lifestyle.
    I don't know what you mean by "did nothing". You guys have a strange relationship with sex, where people don't even have adequate sexual education in anlot of regions, from what I understand. So yes, inneficient, but you certainly should explore sexuality in a more honest a dedicated manner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So, is mentioning Azzarello's amazons like the Godwin's Law of this forum?
    Sounds like some things haven't changed much in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Sounds like some things haven't changed much in the last few years.
    Azzarello is barely mentioned and that comment is months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Justice League Action Diana had those qualities presented pretty well in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Azzarello is barely mentioned and that comment is months old.
    Oops--sorry about that! I checked in to catch up, and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to dates. Apparently the thing that "hasn't changed much" is that I don't pay enough attention.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Oops--sorry about that! I checked in to catch up, and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to dates. Apparently the thing that "hasn't changed much" is that I don't pay enough attention.
    Speak of the devil, and the devil will appear.

Hello again, how have you been?