Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I prefer the Brainiac from the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. Basically has a similar aesthetic to the STAS Brainiac, all the same powers, the same eternal survival, and even the same voice as the DCAU I believe, but he's still from Colu.

Plus, the show solves the weird problem of Coluans not being robotic while Brainiac is, by just... making all Coluans robotic. Frankly, I think it's a really elegant solution compared to some of the hoops that DC has jumped through over the years! And way better than trying to make Brainiac organic. Plus it gives Brainiac Five some really visually cool powers that I kind of miss in literally every other version.

This is my absolute favorite permutation of Brainiac, I'm pretty sure. It's just a shame he has so few appearances and is only in a show that frankly, not that many people saw.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I liked DCAU Brainiac but I’m not a fan of him being from Krypton. It makes the DCU feels so small that all of Superman’s enemies keep coming from there. The best compromise would be for the Coluan Dox and the Kryptonian AI to merge together to form Brainiac imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I prefer the Brainiac from the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. Basically has a similar aesthetic to the STAS Brainiac, all the same powers, the same eternal survival, and even the same voice as the DCAU I believe, but he's still from Colu.

Plus, the show solves the weird problem of Coluans not being robotic while Brainiac is, by just... making all Coluans robotic. Frankly, I think it's a really elegant solution compared to some of the hoops that DC has jumped through over the years! And way better than trying to make Brainiac organic. Plus it gives Brainiac Five some really visually cool powers that I kind of miss in literally every other version.

This is my absolute favorite permutation of Brainiac, I'm pretty sure. It's just a shame he has so few appearances and is only in a show that frankly, not that many people saw.
    Yeah that guy was great. Burton had a chilling voice.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I really like the Brainiac from the Injustice game. Essentially the DCAU version with the alien origin. Jeffrey Combs performance is excellent.

Incredible Member

Brainiac, to me, is 1/2 seventies Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon, the other half being Bronze - Pre New Brainiac Copper Age Superman / Action Comics at the time.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

A decent pair of pants...
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like him fairly well, especially the voice.
    Not my favorite, but a much better revamp than the early post-Crisis Brainiac.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

He's especially better than that stupid Milton Fine design. Curse you Six Flags...
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Zod orders you to kneel.

Luthor demands you to lose.

Darksied commands you to surrender.

Against Brainiac, there is only resistance and death.

Which type of vehicle do you think fits Brainiac best?

Giant flying saucer.

Skull Ship

D̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶r̶ Warworld

Or, something that hasn't been tried yet. A ship swarm. A la Star Trek Beyond or Ultimate Galactus.

Ultimate Galactus

3816022-5839739739-tumbl.jpg

I am unware of a number of incarnations of Braniac. Having said that DCAU Braniac is easily my favorite. His motivations, actions and level of danger made him a chilling villain.

And yet i don't want that motivation to be canon. The concept of bottled cities is great and unique. It brings Kandor with it. And i think that would make for a better film when they make the next Superman film with Braniac as the villain. If the danger is Earth's destruction, even if we enjoy it, somewhere at the back of our heads, we know that Earth isn't really in danger. But a city which might be lost forever to Braniac, is certainly possible for an 'extended universe'.

Among the ships my preference is the Skull one.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Did the DCAU Brainiac ever bottle the Kryptonian City of Kandor? That's Vril Dox's signature achievement, and I don't recall any reference to him doing that in the show.
    Yeah, Kandor is a significant thing to me. I guess if you like a version where no Kandor survived, that doesn't matter. And I can understand wanting Superman to be the last survivor of Krypton. But that's probably not the route I'd go.

I don't don't really know Brainy and Legion. Only slightly familiar with the version from the '90s, because they crossed over with Impulse and Superboy (loved Bart's feelings on Jenni). I've thought about trying to get into some older Legion stories, but no idea which are considered good. But if the Legion is important, then Brainiac being organic is important.

While I didn't mind at the time (not a DC reader then), nowadays I have more objection to an entity intentionally destroying Krypton, rather than a natural process (or outcome of their own missteps). I'm a freak, though, because I'm also kinda tired of the classic Jor-El-the-genius-knew-all-and-they-refused-to-listen story that has been around since his at least second appearance (might have been in the first Jor-L comic strip, too, but I can't recall) - but that's more because of real-world frustration on popular perception of fringe and mainstream scientific beliefs. And, of course, they still used a variation of that in STAS. In any event, I don't really like a villain as the destroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yeah, Kandor is a significant thing to me. I guess if you like a version where no Kandor survived, that doesn't matter. And I can understand wanting Superman to be the last survivor of Krypton. But that's probably not the route I'd go.

I don't don't really know Brainy and Legion. Only slightly familiar with the version from the '90s, because they crossed over with Impulse and Superboy (loved Bart's feelings on Jenni). I've thought about trying to get into some older Legion stories, but no idea which are considered good. But if the Legion is important, then Brainiac being organic is important.

While I didn't mind at the time (not a DC reader then), nowadays I have more objection to an entity intentionally destroying Krypton, rather than a natural process (or outcome of their own missteps). I'm a freak, though, because I'm also kinda tired of the classic Jor-El-the-genius-knew-all-and-they-refused-to-listen story that has been around since his at least second appearance (might have been in the first Jor-L comic strip, too, but I can't recall) - but that's more because of real-world frustration on popular perception of fringe and mainstream scientific beliefs. And, of course, they still used a variation of that in STAS. In any event, I don't really like a villain as the destroyer.
    The thing about Brainiac, is that he's often credited as the one who destroyed Krypton, but in most incarnations, he's not responsible. Krypton destroys itself, but Brainiac traditionally was the last visitor to the planet before it happened.

Earth 1 - Post-Infinite Crisis Brainiac - Superman Unbound: Brainiac takes Kandor before the planet explodes. Leaving the planet to it's fate.

Superman TAS - Smallville - New 52: Brainiac is the computer on Krypton but then abandons it hours before it detonates. Saving himself and dooming the inhabitants.

Legion of Superheroes TAS - Brainiac takes Kandor, which destabilizes the planet and causes it to explode. Because Jor-El had solved the core instability with a machine stored in Kandor. So, when Brainiac took it, Krypton continued on it's path to destruction.

Krypton being destroyed after Brainiac visits fits with his MO of destroying every planet he visits. By reputation, Brainiac is credited but by action. Brainiac didn't do it.

Superman TAS - Smallville - New 52: Brainiac is the computer on Krypton but then abandons it hours before it detonates. Saving himself and dooming the inhabitants.
    Oh, I'd remembered it as him contributing to destruction for some reason. Haven't watched since original airing, though.

I did remember that Brainiac didn't do it in the Earth-One era (or, obviously golden age). I quit watching Smallville before that. I had thought only TAS put any responsibility on Brainiac.

Oh, I'd remembered it as him contributing to destruction for some reason. Haven't watched since original airing, though.

I did remember that Brainiac didn't do it in the Earth-One era (or, obviously golden age). I quit watching Smallville before that. I had thought only TAS put any responsibility on Brainiac.
    STAS Brainiac knew the planet was doomed. But rather than reaffirm Jor'El's findings, he lied and told the council there was nothing to worry about. Brainiac planned to save the records of Krypton and himself. Rather than save the people.

Incredible Member

Smallville made Zod and Brainiac (in a Kara animated short, it was Brainiac and Zor-el) who destroyed Krypton. I think I like how Krypton and LoSH cartoon explained and connected Brainiac closely to Krypton's destruction with kidnapping Kandor through direct or inadvertently. or MOS film handled it.