Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone else like the 90's DCAU version of Brainiac the best?

I mean there is something about that version I find more sinister than other versions of Brainiac. I just feel it would be better if they canonized that version of Brainiac because as a Alien A.I. he's so much more threatening and dangerous. There's also something I love about him being from Krypton and partaking in the destruction of the Kryptonians by lying to them. I also like the version of Brainiac that was invented by Jor El (I think that was in Smallville) because it really adds an even deeper personal connection to Superman I think. I mean him being a alien that goes around collecting cities feels a bit lack luster to me. Even though he took Kandor and in some versions that caused Krypton to be destroyed it still feels lack luster because it's like he's just some guy who took a city and the planet being destroyed was a side effect.

I like the idea of Brainiac purposefully destroying a planet just for it's knowledge there's something very terrifying about that concept I think. Also I think a good way to reboot Brainiac would be for him to have his animated origin and to be responsible for Johnathan Kent's death.

Lightbulb

I prefer the live action Krypton version of Brainiac. He's creepy as hell and extremely intimidating.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm not a fan of the STAS, but I think its Brainiac and Darkseid were really good, and DCAU Brainiac would've transitioned well into a Hollywood movie and Superman origin.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

They more or less canonized it on a few occasions, by using revision. While that take itself was undoubtedly inspired by Ed Hannigan's Brainiac in part, Brainiacs 2.5, 13, the Sacrifice version, and the original New 52 version were all more similar to TAS than previous iterations.

To me though, making him Kryptonian and cutting out Colu is a massive mistake. You might as well make Superman a mutant earthling.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

To me the Dox family (Vril Dox (Brainiac), Vril Dox II, Lyrl Dox, and Querl Dox (Brainiac 5) are the coolest family in the DCU so I have never been a fan of the full AI version. It just makes him seem like and alien Ultron.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To me the Dox family (Vril Dox (Brainiac), Vril Dox II, Lyrl Dox, and Querl Dox (Brainiac 5) are the coolest family in the DCU so I have never been a fan of the full AI version. It just makes him seem like and alien Ultron.
    Except Brainiac has been an artificial life form since before Ultron's creator even thought about creating his "oedipal cyber-son".

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I grew up with Brainiac being an actual alien.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Dunno if I like it the best, but I like it a lot. Its difficult to pick which version I like the best. There's a thread on it and I can't even properly remember which one I ended up voting for.

The original DCAU may have a craptastic version of Superman but it did do really well by his villains.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-09-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I'd say Brainiac is closer to Kang and Galactus, than he is to Ultron. Even with him being a robot; he's still a universe conquering and planet destroying computer tyrant. Ultron... idk what direction they're taking Ultron now. He's been about evolving himself, daddy issues and mass murder for most of his existence. Like a twisted Pinocchio.

The Kryptonian AI version is a great look for the character. Smallville (TV series) went with the same interpretation. The Legion of superheroes animated series, did an AI Brainiac as well. They made all Coluans robots in that show.

Much better than Brainiac being created on Earth or a sideshow hypnotist.

Brainiac was never created on Earth, but the origin circumstances probably tend to be the biggest difference between AI Brainiac and Ultron. In method and scale they were far closer to each other than either would have been with Galactus (I actually don't remember that much about Kang. Sorry Busiek!). The most impressive thing I think I've seen Brainiac ever do unassisted was rematerialize himself, though it technically wasn't even canon as it happened. The power level is important in the sense that his schemes tend to be secondary to how difficult he is to stop. The TAS Brainiac dealt with a really weak version of Superman, so a comparison to Ultron was kind of to his credit.

Did the DCAU Brainiac ever bottle the Kryptonian City of Kandor? That's Vril Dox's signature achievement, and I don't recall any reference to him doing that in the show.

Wait a sec, he was never even called Vril Dox in the DCAU, was he?

There IS such a thing as "TOO streamlined", and the DCAU Brainiac is the best/worst example of this.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Brainiac was never created on Earth, but the origin circumstances probably tend to be the biggest difference between AI Brainiac and Ultron. In method and scale they were far closer to each other than either would have been with Galactus (I actually don't remember that much about Kang. Sorry Busiek!). The most impressive thing I think I've seen Brainiac ever do unassisted was rematerialize himself, though it technically wasn't even canon as it happened. The power level is important in the sense that his schemes tend to be secondary to how difficult he is to stop. The TAS Brainiac dealt with a really weak version of Superman, so a comparison to Ultron was kind of to his credit.
    Brainiac, as well as Imperiex were both created on Earth in the Bruce Timm series JL Gods and Monsters.

With Brainiac being similar to Galactus, comes from both of them traveling the universe and destroying whole planets and killing all their inhabitants. Brainiac only trails Imperiex and the Anti-Monitor in terms of body counts in the DCU. Galactus has a similarly high body count in the MU as well. The New 52 even gave Brainiac "heralds"/emissaries of his own. Granted, Brainiac has always utilized an entourage. But the New 52 specifically used the H word to give him a more Galactus vibe. Unironically, they used a Kryptonian (Zor-El/Cyborg Superman) to herald Brainiac's arrival. Not to mention the Brainiac God of Future's End/Convergence skewing closer to Galactus than ever before as well.

Brainiac and Kang are similar with regard to their designs, color schemes, technology, odd space ships, time travel, universe conquering and plurality of alternate versions of themselves. Difference stems from Kang wanting to rule all he conquers, while Brainaic wants to destroy and collect what he deems valuable.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-09-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Brainiac, as well as Imperiex were both created on Earth in the Bruce Timm series JL Gods and Monsters.
    There are bound to be some stories with an earth Brainiac, sure. But we're talking about a Brainiac who encountered a Mexican Zod as the scion of Krypton to be fair. But I guess I get it since it was Timm again.

With Brainiac being similar to Galactus, comes from both of them traveling the universe and destroying whole planets and killing all their inhabitants. Brainiac only trails Imperiex and the Anti-Monitor in terms of body counts in the DCU. Galactus has a similarly high body count in the MU as well.
    He tends to be a curator, which conflicts with the point behind the threat of Galactus. When we see his existence before Superman he is usually responding to a situation, like escaping Krypton, collecting from it as it explodes, or taking from a culture before the Multitude arrives. Though sure, you can count a similarity found in his heralds there and elsewhere. He can be malicious when opposed, but even if we acknowledge a body count that again is just different if you're talking about the way Galactus takes life.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Did the DCAU Brainiac ever bottle the Kryptonian City of Kandor?
    No. Brainiac destroyed planets after uploading all data on them and whatever useful technology they could find. In his mind, decreasing the number of beings that have access to the knowledge made it that much more valuable and destroying the planets ensured no new information would be created.

The only time Kandor appeared in the DCAU was in Superman's fantasy in "For The Man Who Has Everything".
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-09-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I admit his voice was awesome.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.