View Poll Results: Who is the leader of the Justice League?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman

30 53.57%
  • Batman

13 23.21%
  • Wonder Woman

6 10.71%
  • Other

7 12.50%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    If Batman isn't leading,I don't know why he is on justice league.He isn't the strongest, fastest or smartest. Batman being on the Justice League for his mind specifically tactical leadership makes the most sense to me. That's his "super power" to prepare and planned for all outcomes and have contingencies. That is tool that makes him useful among God like beings who are performing super hero deeds as the highest level.
    Planning and contingencies is a known function in groups, think "chief of staff" more than "boss".

Or the rest of the Justice League prefer to have him inside the tent pissing out instead, than outside the tent pissing in…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If Batman isn't leading,I don't know why he is on justice league.He isn't the strongest, fastest or smartest. Batman being on the Justice League for his mind specifically tactical leadership makes the most sense to me. That's his "super power" to prepare and planned for all outcomes and have contingencies. That is tool that makes him useful among God like beings who are performing super hero deeds as the highest level.
    Pretty much this. I also actually prefer if he sits at mission control so they don't have to keep churning out new outrageous suits for whatever insanity the Justice League has to face and go... but those suits also mean possible toys and I do like toys

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Planning and contingencies is a known function in groups, think "chief of staff" more than "boss"
    I prefer the term "shadow leader"

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Pretty much this. I also actually prefer if he sits at mission control so they don't have to keep churning out new outrageous suits for whatever insanity the Justice League has to face and go... but those suits also mean possible toys and I do like toys
    I like mission control/Man in the chair leadership role. Because this is pretty much how useful Batman is in a "Justice League level event"

But hey people like their Batgod moments and you got to give the kids those awesome mech batsuit toys. I like somebody in the Watchtower coordinating like Martian Manhunter or Mr. Terrific in the cartoons.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-12-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Batman is obviously a strategist, but that’s not the same thing as a leader.

He’s also not the only one who can think tactically and is useful in situations that require stealth.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

If Superman isn't the leader, then I'm not sure what else his role in the League would be.

Why they let Batman supposedly "lead".
    True story:
    The World is attacked!

Superman; Looks around Batman not there yet. We can all just jump in and smash it together! Quick Team Work!.
    Wonder Woman: Yeah except Batmans gonna want to be there, he might get hurt.
    Aquaman: I'm with you, but yeah I'm worried about Batman
    Green Lantern: I can keep a bubble around him, but I don't want to embarrass him.
    Flash: I could have smashed it, and all it's minions, and already been back 10 times by now, while we worry about Batman.
    J'onzz: I'm there with you, we all know our roles and strengths, but as the heart and soul, may I suggest we let Batman come up with a plan, so he at least feels useful.

Batman (shows up): Alright, glad you waited and acknowledged I'm the leader, here is the plan; Superman jumps in absorbs all the deadly energy blasts to clear the way for me, Wonder Woman and Aquaman hold back it's arms from hitting me, Flash clears out it's army of minions from getting at me, Green Lantern traps it in an energy field, while containing it, simultaneously making a ramp for me, while J'onzz telepathically paralyzes it's mind, fazes into it and explodes it from the inside out, making room for me.
    To swoop in, I hit it with a Batarang! ...............................................and take all the credit.
    Move out!!!

Everyone[team eye-roll]: Ok great plan Batman!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-10-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Batman is obviously a strategist, but that’s not the same thing as a leader.

He’s also not the only one who can think tactically and is useful in situations that require stealth.
    This. I just don't see people like Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman being bossed around by Batman who doesn't even have any super power. Seriously, Aquaman (Momoa's version) could kick his ass any time. Batman's ideas are important but he lacks the heart, personality and diplomacy to be a leader, IMO. Superman fits that role better. Batman has lots of $$ though.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    If Superman isn't the leader, then I'm not sure what else his role in the League would be.
    just the muscle, according to some.. Superman is also smart.

I like mission control/Man in the chair leadership role. Because this is pretty much how useful Batman is in a "Justice League level event"

But hey people like their Batgod moments and you got to give the kids those awesome mech batsuit toys. I like somebody in the Watchtower coordinating like Martian Manhunter or Mr. Terrific in the cartoons.
    To be fair, it's not like the rest of the League did much better...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There is no leader, but I think everyone defaults to following Superman.

He's "the man in the arena" and he is the most upstanding guy ever.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The nerd in me would actually be interested in seeing an overview of decision-making in the league. I love politics and different models of democratic decision-making and it would be interesting to see how different writers approached conflicting views, chains of command, individual roles in the group, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    This. I just don't see people like Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman being bossed around by Batman who doesn't even have any super power. Seriously, Aquaman (Momoa's version) could kick his ass any time. Batman's ideas are important but he lacks the heart, personality and diplomacy to be a leader, IMO. Superman fits that role better. Batman has lots of $$ though.

just the muscle, according to some.. Superman is also smart.
    I don't see why Batman bossing around heroes with superpowers is any less realistic than Lex Luthor doing the same with villains with superpowers. I know no one brought him up but it's always been weird to me how Lex leading groups of villains is easily accepted among fans but not Batman leading groups of heroes. Wouldn't villains be even less likely to take being pushed around by someone with no powers than heroes would? At least most of the JL are friends with Bruce, can't say the same about Lex and the Legion of Doom. Why would Sinestro or Black Adam take orders from him? IRL they'd kill him the second he tried to tell them what to do on principle alone.

At the end of the day a good idea is a good idea, if Batman can come up with good strategic ideas I don't see why Aquaman, Wonder Woman or Superman would think "you know that is a good idea, but he has no powers so let's not listen to him." That would make them look super insecure, like they don't want someone weaker than them telling them what to do.

He shouldn't boss them around but they shouldn't dismiss him just because "they can kick his ass" either.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    I don't see why Batman bossing around heroes with superpowers is any less realistic than Lex Luthor doing the same with villains with superpowers. I know no one brought him up but it's always been weird to me how Lex leading groups of villains is easily accepted among fans but not Batman leading groups of heroes. Wouldn't villains be even less likely to take being pushed around by someone with no powers than heroes would? At least most of the JL are friends with Bruce, can't say the same about Lex and the Legion of Doom. Why would Sinestro or Black Adam take orders from him? IRL they'd kill him the second he tried to tell them what to do on principle alone.

At the end of the day a good idea is a good idea, if Batman can come up with good strategic ideas I don't see why Aquaman, Wonder Woman or Superman would think "you know that is a good idea, but he has no powers so let's not listen to him." That would make them look super insecure, like they don't want someone weaker than them telling them what to do.

He shouldn't boss them around but they shouldn't dismiss him just because "they can kick his ass" either.
    As someone who thinks DC tends to worship Batman a bit too much, even I have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Superman is the "BIG GUN" and inspirational leader. When ever they are down Superman is the one who starts the rally. Superman is the one who they look at in fight to know they have a chance to win and that is what keeps them going. Superman is lead by example.

Mighty Member

Honestly, I can't say it's Superman or Batman. It's both. Batman checks Superman, Superman checks Batman. I feel like the last issue of Justice League does a great job of showing why that is. Even if someone else is technically "leader" of the Justice League, it's still Superman and Batman. Batman is such a control freak that he doesn't let anyone lead unimpeded, and Superman is just too big of an influence.

Retired

The question should be more like who is the support person? Because the leadership is a rotating thing. And the big name characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are too busy to make the JLA their priority. But someone who doesn't have much of a life outside the League, that's the person who keeps the lights on and feeds the cat.

In the 1960s, that was Snapper Carr. He might not have always gone out on missions, but he was the guy making sure people showed up for meetings, keeping notes on what happened in all their cases, calling the Atom so he could arrive by telephone. In the 1970s, for awhile, that was Red Tornado on the satellite. Martian Manhunter maybe in the 1980s and 1990s, but not always, as he couldn't be relied on to be there all the time. There were others like Dale Gunn and Sue Dibny that handled the communications and procedures.