View Poll Results: Who is the leader of the Justice League?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman

30 53.57%
  • Batman

13 23.21%
  • Wonder Woman

6 10.71%
  • Other

7 12.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The question should be more like who is the support person?
    Just don't ever tell Guy he's that!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Honestly, I can't say it's Superman or Batman. It's both. Batman checks Superman, Superman checks Batman. I feel like the last issue of Justice League does a great job of showing why that is. Even if someone else is technically "leader" of the Justice League, it's still Superman and Batman. Batman is such a control freak that he doesn't let anyone lead unimpeded, and Superman is just too big of an influence.
    Yeah, I absolutely despise the idea of Superman checking Batman and vice/versa. But I've long stated that Batman is completely miscast in the JL so I may not be the best person to ask.

I think officially, almost everyone has been the leader of the League (or *a* League) at one point or another. Arthur, Dinah, pretty much everyone except Hal.

And I don't think it actually makes much difference; these guys, especially the Big 7, tend to just....work together, without much thought about who has authority in the group.

Regarding the Superman question. There's no doubt that he's the League's compass and figurehead. And at the end of the day, the League usually goes where Clark wants. He's the Alpha, the guy everyone trusts to do the right thing and see everybody home. But he's also the guy in the thick of it. He's the guy tanking the cosmic gods and pushing planets out of orbit. He doesn't have the time to give orders in the field. That usually comes down to Bruce or Diana, though everyone gets their moment to shine and the area of expertise where the rest defer to them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    There is no leader, but I think everyone defaults to following Superman.

He's "the man in the arena" and he is the most upstanding guy ever.
    This is probably the most accurate assessment that I've seen. Looking across all its history, the League has just never had a generally accepted center of authoritative gravity the way that The Avengers do in Captain America. There were some attempts to retrofit that role onto a few characters (most notably, Martian Manhunter), but they always felt a bit hollow. If you go back to the pre-Johns depictions, the same is true of the JSA; Hawkman was the official chairman for most of its existence, but not necessarily its dominating presence.

In my opinion SUPERMAN.

I'd like to see John Stewart have a stint as leader, also Black Lightning. Make some cool arcs out of it.

VictorLuke

I think Superman is the strongest so he is the leader, but sometimes Batman, Wonder women, Martian and others take over but the original leader of Justice League is SUPERMAN

Superman's the boss but Wonder Woman is the CO.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Exactly, what it means the leader? The one who inspires? The one who command? The one who make the plans?

The league seems like an anarchy dream: an organization which works in optimal conditons without the need of a specific leadership. The seven core members are mostly equivalent alpha personalities, even if they are represent in different aspects. Each one is equally a potential leader, but in distinctive roles not overlaped. They cooperate and incase of need the give command to one of them.

But a leader is not just the one who command, that is the boss. Neither is the one who make the plans, that is the strategist. The leader is the one who inspire you to do your best and not just to do your tasks. You can be a good boss but that doesn't make it a good leader. (Sorry. Leadership conference still in my head)

I would say than Superman is the leader de facto of the league, a leader however very willing to give command to the expert on the field according to the situation the league could face. Wonder Woman is the most close to the leadership and I could dare to say she is a better fighter and diplomat. Batman is a good boss and strategist but hardly someone who uses fear as weapon and think ways to defeat you could inspire trust. Aquaman is at the same level of command as Wonder Woman. But both Aquaman and Batman are not the most social people.

In the case of Green Lantern (Jordan) and Flash (Allen), even if they have demonstrated leadership qualities in their books, they also belong to institutions (police and military) where following the chain of command is a requirement. In the context of the league, they are more inclined to follow than lead.

Martian Manhunter, being the solitaire member is a paradox for me. He is more like the Gandalf of the league: the wiseman who everyone ears and likes, and the one who gives the best advice, but you still know than Aragorn is the King.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

An anarchists dream... funded by a billionaire capitalist.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

BANNED

I feel like Superman is that guy when he shows up he stops everything just by his presence he attracts attention just by being in an area. I get that sense as the reader. He might not be the leader but he’s definitely the face of the League of DC as well given off Doomsday Clock too.

Someone said this already but the League table is round and they discuss any decisions needing making as a team usually of the founders. So there’s no default leader when it comes to doing anything that might have league influence.

In regards to in a battlefield or crisis situation typically could be Batman or anyone who takes command of the situation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Why they let Batman supposedly "lead".
    True story:
    The World is attacked!

Superman; Looks around Batman not there yet. We can all just jump in and smash it together! Quick Team Work!.
    Wonder Woman: Yeah expect Batmans gonna want to be there, he might get hurt.
    Aquaman: I'm with you, but yeah I'm worried about Batman
    Green Lantern: I can keep a bubble around him, but I don't want to embarrass him.
    Flash: I could have smashed it, and all it's minions, and already been back 10 times by now, while we worry about Batman.
    J'onzz: I'm there with you, we all know our roles and strengths, but as the heart and soul, may I suggest we let Batman come up with a plan, so he at least feels useful.

Batman (shows up): Alright, glad you waited and acknowledged I'm the leader, here is the plan; Superman jumps in absorbs all the deadly energy blasts to clear the way for me, Wonder Woman and Aquaman hold back it's arms from hitting me, Flash clears out it's army of minions from getting at me, Green Lantern immobilizes and crushes it in an energy field, while blocking it's fire and making a ramp for me, while J'onzz telepathically paralyzes it's mind, fazes into it and explodes it from the inside out, making room for me.
    To swoop in, I hit it with a Batarang! ...............................................and take all the credit.
    Move out!!!

Everyone[team eye-roll]: Ok great plan Batman!
    This put me in tears

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I'd say Clark as the overall leader due to his status as an icon and role model. Field leader would likely be Bruce most of the time, though Arthur and Diana are probably as capable. Bruce is definitely the tactics person.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Supes, I mean, Yes Batman is the one made stragegies and plans but the leader not just a team brain, He should also be an icon, Bruce is good at make brainwork but Superman is a figure that everyone will willingly follow.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Mighty Member

Superman is most certainly not the leader, he is just the face and icon of the Justice League. And as much as i have sometimes a problem with it, Batman is the one who comes closest to the title leader of the Justice League during the years.