Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Thank you for demonstrating my point.

To some people, actual experience and accomplishments over 2 decades mean nothing. All they care about is an out of context quote from 2 years ago.
    There are people here who are starting from "executive at Marvel said the name should be changed" and are only interested in debating the merits of that idea; who is actually saying this proves she shouldn't have been promoted or that her career is defined by the quote? I guarantee you if this executive were a man we would still have a problem with this.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm tired of this political correctness. X-Men is fine. Jean Grey was a founding member. Its not like Stan Lee had a problem with women
    Um...

Overheard, Stan Lee to his daughter:

I think you’re the dumbest white woman I’ve ever known!
    I’m thinking there maybe problems there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    There are people here who are starting from "executive at Marvel said the name should be changed" and are only interested in debating the merits of that idea; who is actually saying this proves she shouldn't have been promoted or that her career is defined by the quote? I guarantee you if this executive were a man we would still have a problem with this.
    Yes, I know there are people who think that. They're the people at Cosmicbook News, Bounding Into Comics, and all the other clickbait outrage driven BS. That's where this all originated. That's where all the outrage is coming from.

I personally would look at the career as a whole. But I'm not the one losing my **** over (as has been pointed out numerous times) a 2 year old quote taken out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    ...The problem is, of course, the resemblance to Doom Patrol.
    Of course, that’s always been the rub against the X-Men! Professor in wheelchair leading a team of weirdos, LOL! What else is new?

(Yes, I’m being a smart aleck.)

Yes, I know there are people who think that. They're the people at Cosmicbook News, Bounding Into Comics, and all the other clickbait outrage driven BS. That's where this all originated. That's where all the outrage is coming from.

I personally would look at the career as a whole. But I'm not the one losing my **** over (as has been pointed out numerous times) a 2 year old quote taken out of context.
    I don't follow any of those people, I reckon most people here don't either and it's the latter I'm interested in engaging with. Separate those of us who don't want the name changed, regardless of context, from clickbait websites.

I'm interested in the question of the name, not any given person's career and I don't think your continuing to raise it is actually a strong point, if that's what you intended. Does Alonso's success give her offhand remark more validity? Suppose she had said something you disagree with, would you care if I told you she has had a long and successful career?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member

I don't follow any of those people, I reckon most people here don't either and it's the latter I'm interested in engaging with. Separate those of us who don't want the name changed, regardless of context, from clickbait websites.

I'm interested in the question of the name, not any given person's career and I don't think your continuing to raise it is actually a strong point, if that's what you intended. Does Alonso's success give her offhand remark more validity? Suppose she had said something you disagree with, would you care if I told you she has had a long and successful career?
    When I heard James Gunn was fired by Disney for making inappropriate jokes, I did not automatically knee jerk condemn him.

Instead I looked at:
    1. What he said
    2. Context in how it was said
    3. Who is driving the story

I found out that:
    1. He made a bunch of jokes on twitter (bad taste, but obviously jokes)
    2. They were twitter jokes from years ago
    3. The story was driven by alt right outrage peddlers trying to own the libs.

So in answer to your question, "Suppose she had said something you disagree with, would you care if I told you she has had a long and successful career?" I would do the exact same thing that I am doing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    True. Marathon (Snickers), Opal Fruits (Starburst), Oil of Ulay (Olay), Fox Family/ABC Family (Freeform), UKTV G2 (Dave), WikiCities/Wikia (Fandom)...
    Some countries did call that X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
    I will never accept “Snickers”. Also, what kind of hell dimension is this forum connected to that we dredged up an actual “everything is Kathleen Kennedy’s fault” lunatic?

When I heard James Gunn was fired by Disney for making inappropriate jokes, I did not automatically knee jerk condemn him.

Instead I looked at:
    1. What he said
    2. Context in how it was said
    3. Who is driving the story

I found out that:
    1. He made a bunch of jokes on twitter (bad taste, but obviously jokes)
    2. They were twitter jokes from years ago
    3. The story was driven by alt right outrage peddlers trying to own the libs.

So in answer to your question, "Suppose she had said something you disagree with, would you care if I told you she has had a long and successful career?" I would do the exact same thing that I am doing right now.
    This isn't a good counter example; Gunn saying/tweeting something in a personal capacity isn't the same as a media interview by a future Marvel Studios executive. Now, I've already gone on record as saying that this particular incident is silly but if there's a possibility that this attitude leads to changing the name I wouldn't like it. Then those who disagree have said why as I try to explain my perspective.

Really, all things considered, Alonso's comment only facilitated the resurgence of this topic.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The brand "X-Men" shouldn't be changed not only because it's not problematic but changing creators' work after they've passed feels rather scummy. Should've said something earlier when The Man and The Legend were still alive.
    They should change the name to The Mutants since that's the name Lee originally wanted.

I’m firmly in the camp of keeping the X-Men name in place but if for some reason they changed it for the movie it wouldn’t stop me from seeing it. The name sounds inclusive to me but I think of it more of in terms of instead of human it’s x-men. I doesn’t strike me as being male centric because I know the group includes men, women and everyone/everything in between and outside.

If they do change the title of the movie I hope it’s better than the ideas floated around in this thread. I appreciate the effort but nothing I’ve read has been very inspired imho. The one I liked best was whoever suggested Dawn of X.

On a somewhat related note, for those who think the name isn’t inclusive do you think Ironman and Batman and Spider-man should change their name? Or is it different because it’s referring to an individual. Just curious.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They should change the name to The Mutants since that's the name Lee originally wanted.
    That's no argument either, X-Men was the better name and Stan wasn't always right.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m firmly in the camp of keeping the X-Men name in place but if for some reason they changed it for the movie it wouldn’t stop me from seeing it. The name sounds inclusive to me but I think of it more of in terms of instead of human it’s x-men. I doesn’t strike me as being male centric because I know the group includes men, women and everyone/everything in between and outside.

If they do change the title of the movie I hope it’s better than the ideas floated around in this thread. I appreciate the effort but nothing I’ve read has been very inspired imho. The one I liked best was whoever suggested Dawn of X.

On a somewhat related note, for those who think the name isn’t inclusive do you think Ironman and Batman and Spider-man should change their name? Or is it different because it’s referring to an individual. Just curious.
    I wouldn't avoid the movie because of the name, but it would make me wary. No superior names have been suggested, you're right.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I wouldn't avoid the movie because of the name, but it would make me wary. No superior names have been suggested, you're right.
    Apparently you missed my post suggesting that the new name be The Uncannyons
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The brand "X-Men" shouldn't be changed not only because it's not problematic but changing creators' work after they've passed feels rather scummy. Should've said something earlier when The Man and The Legend were still alive.
    The name is relevant if the work is done in the same spirit as their creators did. Irrelevant if it’s not the case.

What does “X-men” mean on Krakoa where “good people” and “bad people” are on the same island? “X-men” meant more having a X-gene.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post

Lol, of course it's different, regardless of the argument