Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I feel like it would help if Marvel did more to advertise for them.

But part of the problem with where we are now is that it feels like there's this sence that they have to make the X-Men books political. This wouldn't be bad if the politics felt organic and part of the story, but Uncanny just feels like it's picking the most traumatic and disturbing parts of gender, race, and identity issues and that's it. If it wasn't for the fact that we knew we'd be getting Hickman in a bit, I think there'd be a lot more dread and apathy across the fandom.

I mean, nothing wrong with adding a political bent if you don't make it overwhelmingly depressing. Dear God, The Handmaid's Tale is less depressing.

Coming October 2019... X-Squad!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Default Rapid Fire - Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    X-Nation and Nation X are good.
    Oh, those sound militant.

...I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    X-Kin
    YEEhaw!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    X-Folk ;-)
    YeeHAW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Wolverine & His Amazing Friends
    GET OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Species X.
    Makes mutants sound like lizard people.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Summers.
    I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So is "X-Myn" going to get any traction
    X-Myn? What are we, Australian?

<rimshot>

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    The X-Men could easily be brought into the MCU under the umbrella “House Of X.”
    That's offensive - I don't have a house.

X-Dwellers?

-----

Can I just say this one thing?
    I was doing a wee bit of research in order to craft a serious answer to the OP, when I found out this from the Wikipedia page for 'Woman':

"In Old English, wīfmann meant "female human", whereas wēr meant "male human". Mann or monn had a gender-neutral meaning of "human", corresponding to Modern English "person" or "someone";"

And while I was happy that 'man' originally was a gender-neutral term, I was ecstatic at the thought of being referred to as a were-man.
    Like were-wolf, but were-man!

...!

I dunno, I just really liked that.
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 06-14-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post

I was doing a wee bit of research in order to craft a serious answer to the OP, when I found out this from the Wikipedia page for 'Woman':

"In Old English, wīfmann meant "female human", whereas wēr meant "male human". Mann or monn had a gender-neutral meaning of "human", corresponding to Modern English "person" or "someone";"

And while I was happy that 'man' originally was a gender-neutral term, I was ecstatic at the thought of being referred to as a were-man.

...!

Haha, I liked your origin of mann, because in German it is neutral. But wer in German wouldn't sound like werewolf. W is pronounced with a V sound, like Ver-man. (The e sound is ae not like vermin, so we won't go there)

Incredible Member

x-tra crispy

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

No, it really isn't, and nothing rolls off the tongue like X-Men.

And I'm one of those people who refuse to use the word "actress."

Nor do I like certain superhero names where the adults are called "girls."
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member

It doesn't help that there are a lot of comics out there that handle these issues way better than the X-Men. They're sort of an victim of their own success in that way.

That doesn't mean those issues should be ignored, but not used just for shock.

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

*sigh* Really people? I mean how far is this rabbit hole going to go? Well, I already know the answer but anyways...

No, X-men is not outdated, nor does it subjugate the women who fight alongside the men under the title.

They can create a new name if they choose but "X-men" is going to always be where it started and the title people looked for when they went to their local comic book store to read about outcast who choose to fight for everyone despite hate and prejudice.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
    *sigh* Really people? I mean how far is this rabbit hole going to go? Well, I already know the answer but anyways...

No, X-men is not outdated, nor does it subjugate the women who fight alongside the men under the title.

They can create a new name if they choose but "X-men" is going to always be where it started and the title people looked for when they went to their local comic book store to read about outcast who choose to fight for everyone despite hate and prejudice.
    X-Men also has quite a few more female leaders than most otber teams. They can easily out number the male characters.

The issue is that it's lretty eady for a writer-normally male-to come along and make the female characters look way dumber than they should be. I think we all know who I mean.

I liked it when they had the all female X-Men team, and not only did it not feel like a contrived set-up, because there’s so many bloody top-tier women, but it was still just called X-Men and not differentiated in any way.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I wish things could change and people not attribute it to an agenda or conspiracy against your childhood. Gay agenda! Black agenda! SJW agenda! C’mon, now...

Anyway I can go either way but I like the sound of X-Corps or X-Force a lot more than X-Men.
    But it is an agenda, because X-Men is gender neutral.

What’s next?

Batmen or Supermen? Bat people. Bat group. Super people

Men in Black? People in Black.

Doctor Who and the Cyberpeople?

Robin Hood and his Merry People?

The Metal People?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post

...!

When you go further back, you would find that the word "man" has a root which means "Earthly" rather than "Heavenly." Etymology is so fun when you find out that words you know used to have really weird definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    But it is an agenda, because X-Men is gender neutral.
    Language changes. Standards change. No agenda in that. Besides, all this got started because one person just ventured an opinion; it's a lot of back and forth over something that's actually quite inoffensive when you get down to it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Language changes. Standards change. No agenda in that. Besides, all this got started because one person just ventured an opinion; it's a lot of back and forth over something that's actually quite inoffensive when you get down to it.
    One thing that I’m wondering is, from just what degree of understanding the X-Men did this opinion come from? There’s a fine line between a statement made from someone who knows of the history, what they represent and has a passion for them vs someone relatively casual on the subject.