Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

X-Bros....

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Oh true. I guess the same didn’t happen for Deadpool, but you could make an argument that either way, it could’ve made sense. Maybe not a strong argument, but one nonetheless.

You not caring for inclusivity doesn’t erase everyone else who does. Hope you realize that we would’ve already been at this stage had it not been for actual laws and “codes of conduct” that prevented people from getting the representation they deserve. And for example, making an all-black movie is the inclusivity, having a token white person or token man on an all-woman cast isn’t inclusivity.

clearly i'm not the only one who doesn't care for forced inclusivity. when it flows naturally i have no problem with it, but changing an established name to x-people because some babies who don't read comics say x-men is offensive feels pretty forced

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    One thing that I’m wondering is, from just what degree of understanding the X-Men did this opinion come from? There’s a fine line between a statement made from someone who knows of the history, what they represent and has a passion for them vs someone relatively casual on the subject.
    I remember it came up in an AMA with Victoria Alonso with Marvel Studios where she expressed the thought the name might be outdated but I think the issue is also way above her paygrade.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/45468-marv...-outdated.html

Let's politely discuss & don't make it "rectangle thread" of the day.
    Nope imo nothing needs to change X-Men is a team name not a slight against women. It was cringe when they had the female team state that on panel. It's an iconic name.
    X-Men Forever

Astonishing Member

Oh true. I guess the same didn’t happen for Deadpool, but you could make an argument that either way, it could’ve made sense. Maybe not a strong argument, but one nonetheless.

You not caring for inclusivity doesn’t erase everyone else who does. Hope you realize that we would’ve already been at this stage had it not been for actual laws and “codes of conduct” that prevented people from getting the representation they deserve. And for example, making an all-black movie is the inclusivity, having a token white person or token man on an all-woman cast isn’t inclusivity.

But that’s not even what’s going on here. :? The name and the book has always included women, even from the sixties (though there were less of them.) The books the cartoons and the movies have all included women and no one was the slightest bit confused because of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    clearly i'm not the only one who doesn't care for forced inclusivity. when it flows naturally i have no problem with it, but changing an established name to x-people because some babies who don't read comics say x-men is offensive feels pretty forced
    Why do you assume they don't read comics? And your take on what's "forced" and actual inclusivity isn't really objective on any sort of level. Inclusion is for those communities that are wanting representation, so if they see it was good rep, then it isn't forced.

No I think X-Men is perfectly fine.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I liked it when they had the all female X-Men team, and not only did it not feel like a contrived set-up, because there’s so many bloody top-tier women, but it was still just called X-Men and not differentiated in any way.
    ugh I loooooved that run/lineup

LOL this sh!t is hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    X-Bros....
    PERFECT!!

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    But that’s not even what’s going on here. :? The name and the book has always included women, even from the sixties (though there were less of them.) The books the cartoons and the movies have all included women and no one was the slightest bit confused because of the name.
    No one’s saying anything like that. Everyone is quite aware that there’s a lot of women on the X-Men. My comment is on another point that was made on “forced inclusivity.”
    Last edited by Tycon; 06-16-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    One thing that I’m wondering is, from just what degree of understanding the X-Men did this opinion come from? There’s a fine line between a statement made from someone who knows of the history, what they represent and has a passion for them vs someone relatively casual on the subject.
    Fair question. I don't know the answer to that, to be honest. I just don't see what the point of raking the person over the coals for having an unpopular opinion is.

Why do you assume they don't read comics? And your take on what's "forced" and actual inclusivity isn't really objective on any sort of level. Inclusion is for those communities that are wanting representation, so if they see it was good rep, then it isn't forced.
    There's no such thing as forced inclusiveness (or diversity, for that matter); it just sounds better then what is really being said if you take this line of thinking to its logical conclusion.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

usually, when sjw's or whoever complain, they generally don't read comics or watch the movie they are complaining about. people today complain just to complain and be seen and heard. If they knew anything about the x-men and the team, i'm not sure how there would be a problem with the name since it represents both men and women. is mankind problematic too? Also, it doesn't take a genius to see when something is forced. when marvel got rid of thor, captain america, iron man, and all those other characters so they could promote less interesting characters, that was forced. I like Falcon, the jane foster thor stuff was fine, but it really wasn't the characters many wanted to read about. This was a big debacle and ended with someone at marvel admitting to forced inclusivity and then back tracking.

Extraordinary Member

How was Jane's run a failure? Thor was still one of the best selling comics under her. Do you have proof that any of these comics actually failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    How was Jane's run a failure? Thor was still one of the best selling comics under her. Do you have proof that any of these comics actually failed?
    I didn't say it was a failure. I said it was forced, which it was. The marvel editor admitted this

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

He didn't say Jane's run was a failure. My only problem with that run was Aaron took way too long to resolve the Unworthy story.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    I didn't say it was a failure. I said it was forced, which it was. The marvel editor admitted this
    I think we can agree that it was forced, but it wasn't a bad thing to try and we got some great stuff out of it.