Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It’s literally just another case of people just looking for something to be offended by. Of all the things that are wrong with this world, this is not remotely one of them.
    I completely agree. This probably stems from that stupid mystique line in dark phoenix and that marvel exec saying she wants the name changed. either way, i really don't see a change coming

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I thought this was a forum where fans come to freely discuss and enjoy about anything without major consequences, but OK... :/
    Yes it is.What bothers you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I never said I was offended, but again, OK... :/
    I don’t recall mentioning you directly. I just said people.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Yes it is.What bothers you?
    Well, there's some posters calling 'incredibly stupid' to those of us who are peacefully considering the OP, or accusing us of 'looking to be offended' or 'wanting to cause controversy' and 'push our agenda'.

But it's OK, really, it doesn't matter

I don’t recall mentioning you directly. I just said people.
    I know

People, we are mature enough to have a discussion without recurring to insults, are we?

It’s literally just another case of people just looking for something to be offended by. Of all the things that are wrong with this world, this is not remotely one of them.
    Which people?

Sounded like the producer just made an off the cuff remark in this interview. Did not watch the video so can't tell if she was offended or just made a joke.

No need to worry about Disney changing the X-Men name at least, it's far too ingrained by now.

Why do so many people hear “I’m offended” when they could just as easily hear “I’m confused”?

If people are wondering about the name X-Men, it’s an opportunity to teach. What’s more X-Men than THAT?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Man, just leave Stan's work alone.

What's this "outdated" nonsense?
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    In Spanish it is called "Patrulla-X", that is to say "X-Patrol", which is gender neutral and I think that it represents better the function of the X-Men than its authentic name.

The problem is, of course, the resemblance to Doom Patrol.
    And we certainly wouldn't want that now. Would we? 😏

Doom Patrol debut March 1963 at DC Comics.

X-Men debut September 1963 at Marvel Comics.

#sarcasm

X-Men is the name. Unique and distinct from X-Force and X-Factor.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-10-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    For me, "men" is just a neutral noun that often includes men and women. It's a convention.
    It's not just convention it's the root of the usage, man = person, (thought to be derivative from Proto-Indo-European usage of men-, meaning "to think"); it's why it's used in mankind and other such things. Note that man is the root of the word wo-man, (basically means wife man.)
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BTW, I find it really unlikely that they will change the name, if they were just selling a product they could use the advertisement model that Keurig found by accident, making right-wingers mad, they start an outrage campaign, then start some # campaign, perhaps even make it interesting by burning their own stuff, and without noticing they gift the company they wanted to hurt millions and millions in free advertising, Nike and Gillete exploited it and it went amazing for them, IIRC Nike even was the only company that had gains in the market at the end of the year.
    But with a movie, and being Disney, they really work hard to avoid any political campaign, it's too unpredictable in that market, like how a really good movie like Solo was affected by a disappointing one, SW XVIII that had a weird campaign against because some people can't get over a woman being the main character

I wish things could change and people not attribute it to an agenda or conspiracy against your childhood. Gay agenda! Black agenda! SJW agenda! C’mon, now...

Anyway I can go either way but I like the sound of X-Corps or X-Force a lot more than X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    And we certainly wouldn't want that now. Would we? ��

Doom Patrol debut March 1963 at DC Comics.

X-Men debut September 1963 at Marvel Comics.

#sarcasm

X-Men is the name. Unique and distinct from X-Force and X-Factor.
    I think that's the point of the branching names anyway, to diversify the line a bit more over the years. Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, X-Men Gold, X-men Blue, X-Men Red, X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Force, Exiles, New Mutants, Generation X, Academy X

They even did an X-Men team that was all women, Storm's team with a majority female line up and that worked fine, it went on for around 2 years and pretty much wrapped the entire storyline before their team was folded back into the mainline teams again.

I wouldn't mind an all female team for the fall, the X-Men have a lot of characters it's easy to build different combination of teams even for short runs. I feel like the X-Men are pretty good for diversity overall. There are some areas of improvement, probably more active African American characters, and I wouldn't mind seeing a few more prominent female LGBT characters. They made Bobby gay and even worked it in pretty ok over all. I think they could easily make Rachel bisexual and Illyana gay without any issues and that would give them some more female LGBT representation.

But I think the X-Men title is fine, there are enough corresponding titles that have had prominence for a long time that most people see the whole franchise as the x-books, x-franchise, etc.. Heck X-Factor has been around since the early 90's, and X-Force appeared in the 90's too, and both of them are really well established team types with rotating rosters.

It's not like Women haven't had a chance to shine as leaders. Storm was one of the best 90's leaders when she was written best, Jean was perfect on X-Men Red. Kitty was a bit off, but I almost wonder if that was intentional, like maybe showing Kitty wasn't quite ready to be a leader and didn't know how to delegate well, whereas leaders like Storm and Jean are much better at delegating out on their teams instead of trying to do everything themselves.

I know Emma wasn't a leader on her own, but she was a pretty good co-leader, and I liked how they always portrayed Emma as careful when it came to criticising other leaders in front of people. Emma always waited till her, Scott, and Logan were alone or in private to have arguments with them instead of arguing in front of their teammates.

BANNED

Hi, former X-board regular and longtime observer here.

THIS franchise is about progress and choosing a new name that is gender-neutral is one of the most progressive things they could do at this point, along with engaging in more diverse hiring practices, featuring more actual minority characters, and recognizing and working to mitigate implicit bias wherever it exists.

Personally, I'd love to see X-Corps become the default name of the organization. It's reminiscent of Peace Corps and AmeriCorps, organizations whose real world missions are often reflected in the X-line.
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 06-10-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Hypocrisy is a bad look

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherZero View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see X-Corps become the default name of the organization. It's reminiscent of Peace Corps and AmeriCorps, organizations whose real world missions are often reflected in the X-line.
    Abandoning the school theme and going bigger with the name X-corps, acting as both superheroes and a mutants rights organization, that would be cool. It could also serve as the movie name, you aren't only establishing that it's an X-men movie but also showing that the setting is different, separating them also from Fox's X-men, I could see that working really well actually.
    (I would also love it if they brought back the X-corps in the comics, even if the rumors that they are going to Mars are real it seems they have a portal to Earth at least, they could have it as it's representative organization on Earth)