Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    All I'm saying is the 'Men' part doesn't ensure success, which is what some people seem to think

You think X-Force couldn't be sold to the ga with the MCU behind it?
    Will be pale compared MCU "X-Men".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You think X-Force couldn't be sold to the ga with the MCU behind it?
    Of course it could, so could calling it Wolverine and his Uncanny Friends. The world is going to keep calling it X-Men though.

Astonishing Member

The name is now a full fledged brand, it cannot be changed no matter how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    The name is now a full fledged brand, it cannot be changed no matter how you look at it.
    Brands change names all the time and a lot of them to great success

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

They're not changing the brand... regardless of who says what.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If this was as common as you say ,the title X-Men would have been a different name several times already ..and I don't mean Extraordinary-Astonishing-Uncanny-Amazing those are not the words I'm referring to.

BANNED

Haven't seen too many name changes with X-Men though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    If this was as common as you say ,the title X-Men would have been a different name several times already ..and I don't mean Extraordinary-Astonishing-Uncanny-Amazing those are not the words I'm referring to.
    If Captain Marvel can become Shazam, than X-men can easily become X-Factor or X-Nation. I'm not saying it's necessary, but it's certainly not hard. Heck, famous brands have a much easier time changing their identity than middle of the road brands.

Astonishing Member

If Captain Marvel can become Shazam, than X-men can easily become X-Factor or X-Nation. I'm not saying it's necessary, but it's certainly not hard. Heck, famous brands have a much easier time changing their identity than middle of the road brands.
    In corporate parlance I think X-Factor or X-Nation are not THE brand , they are mere subsidiaries.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If they DID drop it, DC should snag up the X-Men name as retaliation for Marvel stealing "Captain Marvel" away from Billy Batson.
    That's not what happened.

Fawcett Comics were the original publisher of the Billy Batson Captain Marvel in 1939. DC sued Fawcett until they ceased publication in 1952 . Then a completely different comic company published a completely different character called Captain Marvel in 1966 because the trademark was no longer protected due Fawcett ending publication (y'know, cause DC sued them out of existence).

Marvel began publishing their version s of Captain Marvel in 1967. DC never even touched the Billy Batson character until 1972, 2 decades after they tried to bury the character in court.

Since Marvel was using the trademark they could publish a comic called Captain Marvel and DC couldn't.

The name change occurred because DC killed the original title, let it rot in the grave for 2 decades until the name was up for grabs.

I think the X-men IP is incredibly powerful and it’s a broadly recognized brand, so it would be hard for Marvel to move away from it.

Having said that… if they were bound and determined to do so, they absolutely could. I mean, this is a group of folks who made Black Panther a household name and just produced a Shang Chi film in the middle of a pandemic that broke box office records. Shang-f@#$ing-Chi! So you better believe that if they launched an X-men film with the title of ‘The Mutants’ and never once used the X-men name in the film it would still be freakin’ huge. Honestly, I don’t get bent around the axle about stuff like this. If they want to ditch the X-men name in favor of The Mutants that’s fine. Just make it awesome and do my mutants justice!

I can actually see them leaning into the Krakoan status quo too as a way to further differentiate from FOX’s X-men franchise. So perhaps you’d have ‘The Mutants: House of X’ as the first film, then ‘The Mutants: Dawn of X’ as the sequel, with perhaps ‘The Mutants: Reign of X’ as the third one. And so on and so forth. While it would no doubt positively inflame the purists, it would still be huge with audiences. Furthermore, it’s not like they have to throw the baby out with the bath water. They could do an X-men: Hidden Years show on Disney+ which might go back and fill in the gaps of the pre-Krakoan era, back when they operated out of the school in secret and did call themselves the X-men. They could even have a tongue-in-cheek reference from Jean or somebody how the name feels a bit… patriarchal. Which explains why they ditched it later on when they became a nation-state. This would fit alongside the rumored Wolverine anthology series, filling in his MCU history throughout the decades, quite nicely. And then of course they could do an X-Force spinoff, either as Dis+ series or more likely films which follow the whole mutant CIA concept.

Could be a lot of fun actually, depending on how they end up folding mutants into the MCU (multiverse merger? House of M reveal that explains they were always there until Wanda wiped them out? Etc.). Whatever they do, I think they’re going to have to establish that mutants have been there for some time. I don’t think you can use The Snap as the catalyst for mutations popping up because then older characters like Magneto, Xavier, Wolverine, etc., have no MCU history whatsoever. They just essentially became mutants in the present day like all the rest. That’s too radical a departure IMO and erases all their history. I suppose they could do that, and take more an Ultimate Universe approach to things (e.g., Logan was just a normal human operative for Department H until he became a mutant after The Snap, and then Weapon X took him and bonded the adamantium to him sometime in the past five years). But like I said, that would be a radical departure. Then again, so is the whole Krakoa thing. So who knows?

Honestly, I can’t wait to find out how they’re going to introduce mutants to the MCU and am keeping an open mind because thus far Feige has delivered. At least IMO.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 09-26-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    X is the universal sign for variable. In this case, it would mean prefix. It can't be outdated when it's already an inclusive term.
    I think you win. This is a great observation lol.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think the X-men IP is incredibly powerful and it’s a broadly recognized brand, so it would be hard for Marvel to move away from it.

Having said that… if they were bound and determined to do so, they absolutely could. I mean, this is a group of folks who made Black Panther a household name and just produced a Shang Chi film in the middle of a pandemic that broke box office records. Shang-f@#$ing-Chi! So you better believe that if they launched an X-men film with the title of ‘The Mutants’ and never once used the X-men name in the film it would still be freakin’ huge. Honestly, I don’t get bent around the axle about stuff like this. If they want to ditch the X-men name in favor of The Mutants that’s fine. Just make it awesome and do my mutants justice!
    Really well put. This is 100% how I feel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post

I can actually see them leaning into the Krakoan status quo too as a way to further differentiate from FOX’s X-men franchise. So perhaps you’d have ‘The Mutants: House of X’ as the first film, then ‘The Mutants: Dawn of X’ as the sequel, with perhaps ‘The Mutants: Reign of X’ as the third one. And so on and so forth. While it would no doubt positively inflame the purists, it would still be huge with audiences. Furthermore, it’s not like they have to throw the baby out with the bath water. They could do an X-men: Hidden Years show on Disney+ which might go back and fill in the gaps of the pre-Krakoan era, back when they operated out of the school in secret and did call themselves the X-men. They could even have a tongue-in-cheek reference from Jean or somebody how the name feels a bit… patriarchal. Which explains why they ditched it later on when they became a nation-state. This would fit alongside the rumored Wolverine anthology series, filling in his MCU history throughout the decades, quite nicely. And then of course they could do an X-Force spinoff, either as Dis+ series or more likely films which follow the whole mutant CIA concept.

Could be a lot of fun actually, depending on how they end up folding mutants into the MCU (multiverse merger? House of M reveal that explains they were always there until Wanda wiped them out? Etc.). Whatever they do, I think they’re going to have to establish that mutants have been there for some time. I don’t think you can use The Snap as the catalyst for mutations popping up because then older characters like Magneto, Xavier, Wolverine, etc., have no MCU history whatsoever. They just essentially became mutants in the present day like all the rest. That’s too radical a departure IMO and erases all their history. I suppose they could do that, and take more an Ultimate Universe approach to things (e.g., Logan was just a normal human operative for Department H until he became a mutant after The Snap, and then Weapon X took him and bonded the adamantium to him sometime in the past five years). But like I said, that would be a radical departure. Then again, so is the whole Krakoa thing. So who knows?

Honestly, I can’t wait to find out how they’re going to introduce mutants to the MCU and am keeping an open mind because thus far Feige has delivered. At least IMO.
    Yeah, they could actually be creative with these titles. The MCU has sold all these characters to the general audience. If Shang-Chi can be big, so can 'X-Factor', or 'Dawn of X'. I don't really get the unease with dropping 'Men' from the title

The main thing is making good movies and shows with these characters

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Except Captain Marvel only became Shazam because they were forced to, and never reached remotely the popularity it had in it's heyday.