Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    X-nation would only work if they were doing Krakoa. Because it sounds like country. And using krakoa would change the brand more than changing the name would. Instead of super hero’s who fight villains and prejudice, it’s foreign country of super people who have been mentally manipulating everyone else for years.

Pretty sure most the people who saw Dark Knight, knew it was a sequel to Batman Begins. And Batman was shown in the trailer and called ‘Batman’.
    tX-force, is ironically an even more masculine name than x-men because it emphasizing the violence aspect (hence why it’s going to be a Deadpool movie. Deadpool’s ‘brand’ is comedy and hyper violence.)
    Women can commit violence as easily as men. Men are just socialized to be more violent because patriarchy excuses it. But 'masculine' and 'feminine' are just constructs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah she seems really angry. This is the clip everyone is talking about by the way. It's from 2019

Nobody defending the name change is getting worked up about it. You are the ones that are furious with us having this conversation. And okay, do as you may, but do understand that we aren't attacking anyone or even demanding anything okay? And as far as Marvel is concerned, that 23 seconds clip is the only mention there has ever been of changing the name of the team. There's no reason for a fight when you aren't being attacked.
    Exactly. People are getting triggered over something that's either not happening or probably not a problem.

Mighty Member

Yeah she seems really angry. This is the clip everyone is talking about by the way. It's from 2019

Nobody defending the name change is getting worked up about it. You are the ones that are furious with us having this conversation. And okay, do as you may, but do understand that we aren't attacking anyone or even demanding anything okay? And as far as Marvel is concerned, that 23 seconds clip is the only mention there has ever been of changing the name of the team. There's no reason for a fight when you aren't being attacked.
    It’s not the name change. My issue as I said is I’m tired of having these kinds of conversations instead of fun ones. I’m not angry. I said it wasn’t about the name change itself. It’s a last nail in the coffin type thing. I haven’t been happy with Marvel for a long time now and it’s because the conversations around Marvel haven’t been fun.

Also I never blamed you or the fans. At least not intentially. I have issue with the people at Marvel. Again they are happy that fans fight like this because it boosts social media engagement. They like seeing one group angry while another defends Disney.

Like I don’t think I ever heard a female fan angry about the name. The only people who might have complained were the LGBTQ community. Again not because it wasn’t inclusive for women but because of gendered language

Ok I guess. I still don't see the issue there. Wrestling and Superheroes use the same type of monikers. Always have. The word "nation" doesn't have anything extreme or ridiculous about it. I still think X-nation sounds good and has been used previously in the mutant universe, although that team didn't have any memorable members
    Oh, I was just making a silly observation. I disagree with you but you've been engaging very well with the topic, I appreciate that. My biggest issue with X-Nation in particular is that it practically begs for starting with Krakoa and I don't want that even a little bit. I'd sooner take X-Force or X-Factor, but optimally the name wouldn't be changed at all for the movie about X-Men.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Women can commit violence as easily as men. Men are just socialized to be more violent because patriarchy excuses it. But 'masculine' and 'feminine' are just constructs anyway.
    …which is one of the big reasons that men are associated with violence more than women. And they are also, on average, taller with more muscle mass, so it’s easier for them (as a 5 ft 3 woman, I’m not ‘easily’ doing any violence especially with any men who are almost guaranteed to be 6 inches taller, with like twice my upper body strength, lol)

And this whole discussion is about constructs and perception. The x-men name has always included women, from the comics to the cartoons, games and movies. The general audience already knows that (none of the kids watching the cartoons are confused when they see girls there, lol.) the only reason to change it would be because someone doesn’t like the idea (it’s outdated) that the word ‘men’ can be used to include women. Which is another ‘construct’, that is should or it shouldn’t be that way.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 09-27-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    …which is one of the big reasons that men are associated with violence more than women. And they are also, on average, taller with more muscle mass, so it’s easier for them (as a 5 ft 3 woman, I’m not ‘easily’ doing any violence especially with any men who are almost guaranteed to be 6 inches taller, with like twice my upper body strength, lol)

And this whole discussion is about constructs and perception. The x-men name has always included women, from the comics to the cartoons, games and movies. The general audience already knows that (none of the kids watching the cartoons are confused when they see girls there, lol.) the only reason to change it would be because someone doesn’t like the idea (it’s outdated) that the word ‘men’ can be used to include women. Which is another ‘construct’, that is should or it shouldn’t be that way.
    Yes, the X-Men has always included different people. That's never been the question here. I mean, if you recognize these things are constructs, you can see why some people think these things are outdated. Personally, I don't care if it's changed or not, but you can understand why acting like male is the default doesn't appeal to everyone, right?

The new name shall be…

The Uncannyons

Accept no substitutes!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Yes, the X-Men has always included different people. That's never been the question here. I mean, if you recognize these things are constructs, you can see why some people think these things are outdated. Personally, I don't care if it's changed or not, but you can understand why acting like male is the default doesn't appeal to everyone, right?
    Yeah, but X-Men isn't outdated. If someone thinks the "Men" in "X-Men" is male-centric or default then they've only been let down by the education system.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I'm not saying they have to change the name, I'm saying they can and that if they do it will still be a success. And I assume that if they changed the movie title then the team would also be called X-Factor or X-Nation. Or maybe not, who knows
    The name could change, there's no denying that. Marvel ultimately makes the choices. That being said, I do think the movie would still be successful, but I don't think the new name will be successful. I feel like the overwhelming majority will refer to everything as the X-Men for simplicity. X-Men is imbedded into quite a bit of merchandise, books, and games. I feel like an attempt to "push" a new name would require an odd but forceful transition. One that might not carry on past the MCU. That might cause confusion. It seems like an odd choice to make, in my opinion.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I doubt that the people defending the name change have any anger at all. Nobody in this thread said that X-men was a missoginist and offensive name. We aren't triggered.

X-men is a cool name because of the idea of "Ex human" for an unloved kin of people.

But we just think there are other names in the family with the same kind of appeal and meaning, and that could be less dubious. We are having a conversation, and of course some people will instantly take it as an attack on all that they value, but it isnt. It's a conversation.

Heck, Marvel probably won't change the name, but if they did, would "X-Nation" really be such a horrible new identity for the team? It could perfectly symbolize this idea of them now coming together.
    To be fair, the conversation is happening with the X-Men for a reason. I'm not sure anyone is discussing new names for the Fantastic Four. At least, not to this extent.

That being said, it's a fair conversation to have. There really isn't a reason for anything to escalate, especially when Marvel makes the decisions.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 09-27-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, but X-Men isn't outdated. If someone thinks the "Men" in "X-Men" is male-centric or default then they've only been let down by the education system.
    QFT!
    I don't knw why there is so much debate in the brand name.
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-28-2021 at 02:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

No ...seriously

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    It’s not the name change. My issue as I said is I’m tired of having these kinds of conversations instead of fun ones. I’m not angry. I said it wasn’t about the name change itself. It’s a last nail in the coffin type thing. I haven’t been happy with Marvel for a long time now and it’s because the conversations around Marvel haven’t been fun.

Also I never blamed you or the fans. At least not intentially. I have issue with the people at Marvel. Again they are happy that fans fight like this because it boosts social media engagement. They like seeing one group angry while another defends Disney.

Like I don’t think I ever heard a female fan angry about the name. The only people who might have complained were the LGBTQ community. Again not because it wasn’t inclusive for women but because of gendered language
    If you're tired of having these conversations, then don't have these conversations.

Why do you have issue with Marvel on this? Marvel is not the one driving this conversation. The comment you're getting upset about was an off topic comment from 2 years ago taken out of context. Nothing has been said by anyone at Marvel since then. The only reason this topic being discussed is clickbait alt right sites trying to provoke outrage. Marvel isn't trying to get fans to fight for social media engagement, that's coming from sites like Cosmicbook News or Bounding Into Comics. Marvel isn't trying to make one group angry, that's coming from news sites like Fox News and The Daily Mail.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't think so. 'Men' is the default because the male-centric society assumes it is. Not recognizing that is a fault of the education system

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    If you're tired of having these conversations, then don't have these conversations.

Why do you have issue with Marvel on this? Marvel is not the one driving this conversation. The comment you're getting upset about was an off topic comment from 2 years ago taken out of context. Nothing has been said by anyone at Marvel since then. The only reason this topic being discussed is clickbait alt right sites trying to provoke outrage. Marvel isn't trying to get fans to fight for social media engagement, that's coming from sites like Cosmicbook News or Bounding Into Comics. Marvel isn't trying to make one group angry, that's coming from news sites like Fox News and The Daily Mail.
    It's basically a way for anti-SJWs to generate attention and traffic for their websites.

Progre nonsense and extreme and radical feminism.

how stupid this is.
    leave the name that has always had.

By being politically correct they are ruining time and time again classics like series movies etc ... with their nonsense of changing ethnicity that makes most of us sorry si the true.

This kind of thing really has me to the point of collapse.
    God

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

I don't think so. 'Men' is the default because the male-centric society assumes it is. Not recognizing that is a fault of the education system

It's basically a way for anti-SJWs to generate attention and traffic for their websites.
    I agree with both these posts.

And for all those people here that think the things you love are under attack, I just hope you understand that having a conversation isn't an attack on anyone. And you should also realize that the world is full of people that agree on somethings and disagree on others. Not everything is woke culture, and woke culture doesn't mean that everyone agrees on everything.