Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    If you're tired of having these conversations, then don't have these conversations.

Why do you have issue with Marvel on this? Marvel is not the one driving this conversation. The comment you're getting upset about was an off topic comment from 2 years ago taken out of context. Nothing has been said by anyone at Marvel since then. The only reason this topic being discussed is clickbait alt right sites trying to provoke outrage. Marvel isn't trying to get fans to fight for social media engagement, that's coming from sites like Cosmicbook News or Bounding Into Comics. Marvel isn't trying to make one group angry, that's coming from news sites like Fox News and The Daily Mail.
    I actually was going to stop commenting because I said what I needed to say but I needed to comment. I said before I wasn’t angry at the name change. I have issue that people don’t understand how Marvel and Disney markets. This isn’t about those youtubers who cause anger for clicks. I hate listening to them whine. And they are wrong most of the time. I’m reacting to the news in front of me. Marvel actively slow burns these kinds of changes. And people still don’t realize Marvel has “friendly” news people to get them to push narratives they want. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this suggestion. But we heard Victoria say it calmly but we also heard it in the Fox movies when Jennifer Lawrence said it. And to be fair it was true. The guys in the Fox First class universe were very underwritten in a lot of ways outside of Quicksilver or Wolverine.

I’m angry that literally no one had problems with the name but they felt actively compelled to make the name itself a divisive subject. My point is I don’t like being in a fandom that looks for the worse in why it’s named X-men instead of explaining the name further to be less hostile.

If you guys genuinely feel the X-men name hurts then ok change it. I just feel none of this is entertainment for me. It’s a chore to be doing convos like this while other fandoms get to actually have fun with each other. I like philosophical debates but I feel that’s all this fandom does now. I’m just bored is the only way to say it. I’m tired of being bored discussing Marvel when it brought me a lot of joy before

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I actually was going to stop commenting because I said what I needed to say but I needed to comment. I said before I wasn’t angry at the name change. I have issue that people don’t understand how Marvel and Disney markets. This isn’t about those youtubers who cause anger for clicks. I hate listening to them whine. And they are wrong most of the time. I’m reacting to the news in front of me. Marvel actively slow burns these kinds of changes. And people still don’t realize Marvel has “friendly” news people to get them to push narratives they want. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this suggestion. But we heard Victoria say it calmly but we also heard it in the Fox movies when Jennifer Lawrence said it. And to be fair it was true. The guys in the Fox First class universe were very underwritten in a lot of ways outside of Quicksilver or Wolverine.
    1. The news in front of you that you are reacting to is coming 100% from the clickbait outrage sites.
    2. Marvel isn't slow burning anything. This is a 2 year old off the cuff comment, unrelated to any actual Marvel movie, comic, game, etc. The only reason this comment is being talked about is because the BS clickbait sites are pulling up the 2 year old quote for outrage. You may claim to not care about them, but you manage to repeat their points pretty well.
    3. The dialogue from Dark Phoenix was not written by Victoria Alonso, anyone at Marvel Studios, Disney, or Marvel publishing. It was by someone at Fox. No person from the Fox movies, aside from Ryan Reynolds, is doing anything related to X-Men going forward. All of the many, many flaws of the Fox X-Men movies are due to Fox and the people who made them. None of those people are involved with Marvel or Disney going forward.

I’m angry that literally no one had problems with the name but they felt actively compelled to make the name itself a divisive subject. My point is I don’t like being in a fandom that looks for the worse in why it’s named X-men instead of explaining the name further to be less hostile.
    For someone who hates listening to those youtubers whine, you are getting upset over what they want you to get upset over. You don't like the fandom even discussing this? Then don't engage. But if you find one thread on the board colors your whole view of the X-Men fandom, your view probably wasn't very positive to begin with.

If you guys genuinely feel the X-men name hurts then ok change it. I just feel none of this is entertainment for me. It’s a chore to be doing convos like this while other fandoms get to actually have fun with each other. I like philosophical debates but I feel that’s all this fandom does now. I’m just bored is the only way to say it. I’m tired of being bored discussing Marvel when it brought me a lot of joy before
    If people want to talk about the name and whether it could be changed, where's the harm in simple discussion? Maybe some people find joy in the discussion. Maybe some people actually want to talk about how language evolves over time. Maybe some people think a franchise based on the themes of discrimination and alienation could use a discussion about inclusivity. I honestly don't have a problem with the discussion. Just because you don't like this one specific discussion doesn't mean that it should be forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, but X-Men isn't outdated. If someone thinks the "Men" in "X-Men" is male-centric or default then they've only been let down by the education system.
    Let's not do this **** anymore. People who think the name is outdated are completely valid and deserve better than this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Let's not do this **** anymore. People who think the name is outdated are completely valid and deserve better than this.
    100% agree

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'm tired of this political correctness. X-Men is fine. Jean Grey was a founding member. Its not like Stan Lee had a problem with women

With Disney owning Marvel and people like Kathleen Kennedy and that other lady that recently got promoted that doesn't like the name 'X-Men" I'm sure they'll get their name changed to "The X-People" or "People of the X"

I know I'll get heat for this but the market is still mostly male. Its these smaller groups complaining and complaining. Can't people like that just watch/read something else? Or here is a better idea...MAKE SOMETHING ORIGINAL YOURSELF!! I agree with Stan Lee when he was asked how he felt regarding Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and Spider-Man getting these identity changes. His reply was pretty much try making an original superhero instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm tired of this political correctness. X-Men is fine. Jean Grey was a founding member. Its not like Stan Lee had a problem with women

With Disney owning Marvel and people like Kathleen Kennedy and that other lady that recently got promoted that doesn't like the name 'X-Men" I'm sure they'll get their name changed to "The X-People" or "People of the X"

I know I'll get heat for this but the market is still mostly male. Its these smaller groups complaining and complaining. Can't people like that just watch/read something else? Or here is a better idea...MAKE SOMETHING ORIGINAL YOURSELF!! I agree with Stan Lee when he was asked how he felt regarding Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and Spider-Man getting these identity changes. His reply was pretty much try making an original superhero instead.
    Stan Lee was god awful at writing female characters. They were either 1. Love Interest or 2. Damsel in Distress or 3. Love Interest in Distress. Characters like Jean Grey, Sue Storm, and Janet Van Dyne only got character development after Stan stopped writing them.

The Lady in question is Victoria Alonso. She has over 2 decades experience in the movie industry and worked with people like Tim Burton and Ridley Scott. She's been with Marvel Studios since Iron Man and has been an executive producer since the Avengers.

But she made an off the cuff comment 2 years ago, so that's the only thing that matters to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

The Lady in question is Victoria Alonso. She has over 2 decades experience in the movie industry and worked with people like Tim Burton and Ridley Scott. She's been with Marvel Studios since Iron Man and has been an executive producer since the Avengers.

But she made an off the cuff comment 2 years ago, so that's the only thing that matters to some people.
    Irrelevant in my books. Just look at Kathleen Kennedy. She worked with Spielberg and even Lucas himself. Now look at the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy she was responsible for.

Sorry, just because you worked with talented artists doesn't make you one too.

The heat is warranted. That kind of thinking is archaic as hell. How do you think these MCU movies are getting to billions of dollars in the cinema? It's certainly not because of just a male market.

Your desire for exclusion is really off-putting.

Also, you can really look at Invisible Woman, Wasp, and Jean Grey and think Stan Lee really had no problem with women (or, at the very least, writing them)?

Astonishing Member

Irrelevant in my books. Just look at Kathleen Kennedy. She worked with Spielberg and even Lucas himself. Now look at the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy she was responsible for.

Sorry, just because you worked with talented artists doesn't make you one too.
    Thank you for demonstrating my point.

To some people, actual experience and accomplishments over 2 decades mean nothing. All they care about is an out of context quote from 2 years ago.

The heat is warranted. That kind of thinking is archaic as hell. How do you think these MCU movies are getting to billions of dollars in the cinema? It's certainly not because of just a male market.

Your desire for exclusion is really off-putting.

Also, you can really look at Invisible Woman, Wasp, and Jean Grey and think Stan Lee really had no problem with women (or, at the very least, writing them)?
    No, the heat isn't warranted. I expressed my opinion and I wasn't insulting anyone. These days, you really have to keep things to yourself. Certain groups are allowed to say things to others but if you flip the script around, then that group will be accused of gender/racisim/etc bias.

I'll drop it. I said my opinion. I was blessed because my childhood was growing up in the 80s. Stinks getting older sometimes, but glad I grew up when I did. Everybody gets offended these days.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The brand "X-Men" shouldn't be changed not only because it's not problematic but changing creators' work after they've passed feels rather scummy. Should've said something earlier when The Man and The Legend were still alive.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 09-28-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Brands change names all the time and a lot of them to great success
    True. Marathon (Snickers), Opal Fruits (Starburst), Oil of Ulay (Olay), Fox Family/ABC Family (Freeform), UKTV G2 (Dave), WikiCities/Wikia (Fandom)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    there are various team names. no need to zero in on one name only.

The films could be named after the storyline, as well. This of course, was tried with Dark Phoenix, to mixed results for the box office, though I doubt it was due to the name.
    Some countries did call that X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The brand "X-Men" shouldn't be changed not only because it's not problematic but changing creators' work after they've passed feels rather scummy. Should've said something earlier when The Man and The Legend were still alive.
    To be fair, the X-Men have already gone through countless changes while Lee and Kirby were alive. Changes are still going to happen after they died.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that their point of view wasn't valid, only that this particular argument is hard to make.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I've felt this way for a long time.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.