Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Well anyone can say something silly. Creative people can say something silly. Hugely talented artistic visionaries can say something silly.

Have you ever read the initial story conference between George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan for Raider of the Lost Ark? Take a few minutes

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scrip...erence1978.pdf

There are so many silly, stupid, or even downright bad ideas that were thrown out there. But part of the creative process is going over different ideas, even silly ones, to figure out the best version possible.

Alonso made a comment that you may feel is silly. But nothing in this thread actually spells out the comment made.

Please take into account:
    1. The comment was made 2 years ago.
    2. Her comments were part of the press junket for Captain Marvel, the actual quote was less than 60 seconds in response to a vague question.
    3. The comments have nothing to do with any concrete plans for the X-Men either in print or movie adaptions.
    4. The comments were off the cuff general statements, not a dogma she was spouting.

The only reason this is being talked about is Alonso is being promoted in Marvel Studios and the BS alt right clickbait sites are trying to create an outrage.

If you think what she said 2 years ago was silly, that's your opinion. People can reasonably agree or disagree.

If you are using this quote to criticize Marvel/Marvel Studios/Disney while ignoring her actual career and contributions, then you are intellectually dishonest and borderline irrational.
    The internet loves to obsess about silly things people say, often from way longer than two years ago. Have you meet the internet before?

BANNED

Technically, yes, but whether it changes or not, no big deal honestly.

The best X-characters are females though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Technically, yes, but whether it changes or not, no big deal honestly.

The best X-characters are females though.
    Comics of movies, because most people have seen movies and the guys are much better IMO.
    Depends in comics but I agree for the most part

They will probably go by another name. It’s easy to see why some people think the name isn’t inclusive.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I think there are both great male and female characters. And I prefer not to think of anyone as better. Let alone my own tastes not as good.

My problem with “X-men” is that, for me, it makes reference to other characters, written by other authors, with personalities that are very different…

I consider it is “misleading advertising”…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    They will probably go by another name. It’s easy to see why some people think the name isn’t inclusive.
    Hmmm... they can choose between pleasing some SJWs online or use one of the most famous brands in the world, one they spent billions to recover. I wonder what they will do...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/45468-marv...-outdated.html

Let's politely discuss & don't make it "rectangle thread" of the day.
    No. It's simply the greatest superhero team name ever been in history. Don't touch it, thanks.

BANNED

As simple as that, all other MUTANTS in the 616 Earth are NOT "X-MEN".

To me, "X-MEN" always meant:

Male and female agents of Xavier = the men of Xavier.

Weird political and social propaganda can't ruin it.

No. X-Men.

MEN and woMEN.

If nothing else, this thread demonstrates how easily people fall for all the “you couldn’t make a film like Joker now because of woke cancel culture“ propaganda bullshit. Still, all the anti-EU stuff the Daily Heil ran for decades worked, so why stop now?

Mighty Member

I don’t think the question should be “is the term X-men outdated” but rather “should we just have X-men movies?”

Look, the discussion could go on forever and all it’ll do is bring out the worst in People. You’ll get the anti SJW lot complain about “MUH MEN” and the anti anti SJW lot say they are wrong when really the brand is too well known to change.
    Really, the answer is that Marketing dictates what happens at the end of the day. And the only people who care about it or here on the thread talking about it. You may get a Twitter thread that pops up, but really, you say to someone who just goes to the cinema “Do you think the term X-men isn’t inclusive enough?” They’ll probably just shrug or say “Probably”.

Do I think it’s not inclusive enough? Eh. It was kind of a joke when I was first reading X-men, and it’s not something that’s really changed. I think People look way too much into things. It shouldn’t be “is this name inclusive enough?” But rather “is the end product inclusive enough?”
    Personally, I’ll have a comic just called “X” and be done with it, but I can understand why that doesn’t sound meaty enough.

Edit. I also think arguing back on this case does more harm than good. It’s mostly brought up by the sad, angry suspects that will pick up on any small thing that they find. Arguing against it as this point is giving the, more fuel. Like this wasn’t a discussion a year ago, no one cared, bring it up into the public and you make a scene, now you’re playing into their game.
    Last edited by FFJamie94; 09-25-2021 at 06:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

But would the brand seriously be damaged if 'Men' wasn't in the title?

The Swedes solved this problem back in 1984.

120010.jpg

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But would the brand seriously be damaged if 'Men' wasn't in the title?
    It's the name of the team. Would the Fantastic Four brand be damaged if the movie called was called Incredible Nine? Yeah, because it isn't F4 and there's no brand recognition, meaning it would be less popular.