Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    That is that Simon Cowell show, right?
    Fine X-force. Do you think the people that knew who "The Dark Knight" was in 2007 don't know who "X-force" is nowadays?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Fine X-force. Do you think the people that knew who "The Dark Knight" was in 2007 don't know who "X-force" is nowadays?
    I'm not exactly taking a position on how well known some of these references are, or were. I just think there are some things to take into consideration, for example calling the sequel The Dark Knight was not replacing the character's name Batman. In fact, the names are synonymous. Whereas the topic here seems to be set around replacing X-Men, although to what extent I am not sure, and something like X-Force is workable for a movie based on the militaristic hit squad type of team but it is not just another name for the X-Men team.

So, I don't know, I'm just trying to look at how scenarios play out and wonder if any big effort to get people to not call them X-Men is worth it or would even work.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Agreed! They don’t need the men in the title. It would not surprise me if Reign of X, House of X, and Dawn of X were not conceived of as potential movie titles. X of Swords too.

Marvel has remade the mutants into something resembling Star Wars in the Krakoa era, particularly with planet Arrako. And I think this is to inspire movies radically different from Fox X-Men.
    Granted I feel like that would only work if they intend to build off something akin to the Fox X-Men within the MCU for them to adapt the Hickman stories like Hickman built off the X-Men's history, although I still don't think they'll jump straight into the Krakoa stuff.

Mighty Member

I’ll be honest I spent the last 2 days watching reactions to the cast of the Mario movie because their reaction to the cast was so heartwarming and cute and it made me feel so good watching it. I can’t remember the last time I felt that genuine joy then I come back to Marvel and I have to sit through conversations about the name X-men not being inclusive enough. This is not a fun conversation. This doesn’t bring me any happiness. I can’t say I’m bothered too much about if they change it other than my own nostalgia. But it just reminds me that Marvel is the no fun fandom. We get bogged down by conversations like this because it creates controversy and goes viral

It’s not fun to interact with these conversations because you know every single person who wants to talk on these topics has a lot of anger in them and even if convos remain civil everyone is just waiting for someone to say something really bad so they can jump down their throats.

I want to find people who laugh. Not people who find the word “man” in a title so triggering it needs to be removed

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I doubt that the people defending the name change have any anger at all. Nobody in this thread said that X-men was a missoginist and offensive name. We aren't triggered.

X-men is a cool name because of the idea of "Ex human" for an unloved kin of people.

But we just think there are other names in the family with the same kind of appeal and meaning, and that could be less dubious. We are having a conversation, and of course some people will instantly take it as an attack on all that they value, but it isnt. It's a conversation.

Heck, Marvel probably won't change the name, but if they did, would "X-Nation" really be such a horrible new identity for the team? It could perfectly symbolize this idea of them now coming together.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Heck, Marvel probably won't change the name, but if they did, would "X-Nation" really be such a horrible new identity for the team? It could perfectly symbolize this idea of them now coming together.
    In my opinion, yes. Because a team is not a nation. I'd prefer X-Force for the name of team if it has to be changed.

But I like X-Men and I don't think it excludes non-male characters, because I don't believe every word need to be read literally. After all, that excludes meaning and context and I like languages to be rich and expressive.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I doubt that the people defending the name change have any anger at all. Nobody in this thread said that X-men was a missoginist and offensive name. We aren't triggered.

X-men is a cool name because of the idea of "Ex human" for an unloved kin of people.

But we just think there are other names in the family with the same kind of appeal and meaning, and that could be less dubious. We are having a conversation, and of course some people will instantly take it as an attack on all that they value, but it isnt. It's a conversation.

"X-Nation" sounds like some sort of WWE tag team.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    "X-Nation" sounds like some sort of WWE tag team.
    I don't get the reference. What does it have to do with wrestling?

Astonishing Member

X-nation would only work if they were doing Krakoa. Because it sounds like country. And using krakoa would change the brand more than changing the name would. Instead of super hero’s who fight villains and prejudice, it’s foreign country of super people who have been mentally manipulating everyone else for years.
    Pretty sure most the people who saw Dark Knight, knew it was a sequel to Batman Begins. And Batman was shown in the trailer and called ‘Batman’.

X-force, is ironically an even more masculine name than x-men because it emphasizing the violence aspect (hence why it’s going to be a Deadpool movie. Deadpool’s ‘brand’ is comedy and hyper violence.)

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Pretty sure most the people who saw Dark Knight, knew it was a sequel to Batman Begins. And Batman was shown in the trailer and called ‘Batman’.
    Yes, as soon as they saw the trailer and the posters they knew it was a Batman movie.

And as soon as people saw the poster and trailer for X-force/ X-Factor/ X-Nation they would know that it's the mutant team led by Professor X and featuring Wolverine, Storm and Colossus.

X-force, is ironically an even more masculine name than x-men because it emphasizing the violence aspect (hence why it’s going to be a Deadpool movie. Deadpool’s ‘brand’ is comedy and hyper violence.)
    Lol what? Claiming that violence is masculine is absurd. Violence has nothing to do with gender. But I don't want them to be called X-Force anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, as soon as they saw the trailer and the posters they knew it was a Batman movie.

And as soon as people saw the poster and trailer for X-force/ X-Factor/ X-Nation they would know that it's the mutant team led by Professor X and featuring Wolverine, Storm and Colossus.
    You mean they will know it is an X-Men movie, with a weird name.

I don't get the reference. What does it have to do with wrestling?
    Eh, Nation of Domination, League of Nations, DX, I see it.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Mighty Member

This is Victoria Alonso she is the one who said the name was outdated a few years ago. She’s a lesbian woman and wants to be more lgbtq focused. She also said she wants Marvel to have a female focused approach going forward. While I don’t fully mind that. I’ve never been into solely male properties my main thing is the fandom and Marvel constantly forces me into these conversations. I’m tired of my fandom constantly being about

I said I don’t personally care about the name itself being changed. I hate that this is what the fandom conversations always revolves around. I don’t talk to people about Marvel and say about amazing writing. I apparently come to Marvel to write political OP Ed’s like my politica science classes.

They are absolutely changing the name. Marvel leaks this stuff as a way to prep people. Marvel does not change anything without years of prep work. Like Miles becoming the main Spider-Man will eventually happen but not for a couple more years. You see them slowly testing the waters with LGBTQ stuff like the first gay kiss in Eternals but it’s still been years preparing people.

Marvel is a long term planning company. Everything you hear they are going to change happens so slowly you won’t realize they are changing it. Like this change in the X-men name I don’t believe is about female heroes. It’s removing gender language as one part of making over Marvel more in LGBTQ image. Which I guess is fine but I think my biggest is just I am stuck in constant fights it seems like because fights keep Disney in the forefront of conversations and keeps their box office higher.

I don’t need to be a Marvel puppet. I want a fandom where the writers and the editors and producers and developers want me to come into the fandom for fun purposes. There is nothing fun about being in the Marvel fandom at the moment. Every move by Disney is designed with corporate activism in mind. I have to deal with some heavy stuff on a day to day basis and I want my fandom to be a place where I can shut off my brain and have fun. Seeing people get so serious and so angered by a name and forcing me into this conversation rather than fun speculation of characters and plots is why I don’t really want to be a marvel fan right now. Especially because I know saying this isn’t going to feel fun for anyone else. But this is the convos I ultimately end up having.

The worst part is I know most people don’t care if the name changes. It’s Victoria Alonso being the one controlling this narrative. Kevin Feige has stopped caring since end Game. He’s an exec now and Victoria Alonso has been the main driver of the next phase of Marvel. No doubt being groomed to fully take over for Kevin Feige

Yeah she seems really angry. This is the clip everyone is talking about by the way. It's from 2019

Nobody defending the name change is getting worked up about it. You are the ones that are furious with us having this conversation. And okay, do as you may, but do understand that we aren't attacking anyone or even demanding anything okay? And as far as Marvel is concerned, that 23 seconds clip is the only mention there has ever been of changing the name of the team. There's no reason for a fight when you aren't being attacked.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-27-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Eh, Nation of Domination, League of Nations, DX, I see it.
    Ok I guess. I still don't see the issue there. Wrestling and Superheroes use the same type of monikers. Always have. The word "nation" doesn't have anything extreme or ridiculous about it. I still think X-nation sounds good and has been used previously in the mutant universe, although that team didn't have any memorable members
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.