Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That sounds more like a movement or what they’d call their own country than a team name.
    I agree. I don't like the nationalism connotations. There have been points when the narrative angled that way (Utopia for example), but I don't think that is actually a positive direction for the franchise. In theory the X-Men have always been about integration, not segregation or supremacism, which a mutant nation at the very least suggests. It becomes more evocative of Israel, when ideally the X-Men should be transnational(and even transgalactic, given their relationship with the Shi'Ar and other alien cultures). So long as there are terms like 'man'kind, and hu'man'ity, I don't think X-'Men' is grossly problematic.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I just don't get this debate Disney and Marvel can be progressive but they're not progressive enough to throw away a Brand name worth millions potentially billions with the right film.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherZero View Post
    The reason "man" and "male" are the default and roots of the words women and female is because THIS IS A PATRIARCHAL SOCIETY. Men made the decision to make themselves the default.
    Please take a moment to educate yourself.
    https://imgur.com/f5tNViv

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Please take a moment to educate yourself.
    https://imgur.com/f5tNViv
    And yet:

It is not etymologically related to the word male, but in the late 14th century the spelling was altered in English to parallel the spelling of male.
    https://medium.com/interesting-histo...n-fd8f436a554c
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That sounds more like a movement or what they’d call their own country than a team name.
    I think the X-books might be moving more in that direction if the rumors about the X-Men going to The World/Mars/another dimension are true.

I'm quite fond of Nation X as well. It immediately sets up the notion that this isn't just a standard superhero team; it's a movement with MANY members.
    Plus, since X-Factor and Generation X were never really “X-Men,” they can now fall under Nation X.

You're telling me you already knew better and still felt the need to speak nonsense.

Luckily I no longer care for the insanity that is modern Marvel.
    Name them whatever is on your feminist agenda. But beware, don‘t forget that you might overlook a minority group.

Ask Ms Cain about the repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    I completely agree. This probably stems from that stupid mystique line in dark phoenix and that marvel exec saying she wants the name changed. either way, i really don't see a change coming
    I thought it was a clever lampshade myself.

IMHO, I can see the point that the name is kinda dated (in the way that "man" being another word for "human"/"humankind" has dated really badly), but I think the title is too engrained to easily change, I don't think there was any malice behind it, and I don't think it's offensive in the way that some older elements from decades-old comics are (like certain racial stereotypes).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

You're telling me you already knew better and still felt the need to speak nonsense.
    What exactly did I say that was nonsense? The original spelling of female was altered to more closely align with male. The word "man" was originally gender-neutral but was co-opted by a patriarchal society to mean adult male.

So please, who exactly is speaking nonsense?

What exactly did I say that was nonsense? The original spelling of female was altered to more closely align with male. The word "man" was originally gender-neutral but was co-opted by a patriarchal society to mean adult male.

So please, who exactly is speaking nonsense?
    That would still be you.

But I'm not going to argue with you. If you want to see conspiracy, persecution, sexism, or outrage then feel free.

I don't think there was any malice behind it, and I don't think it's offensive in the way that some older elements from decades-old comics are (like certain racial stereotypes).
    It's only offensive to people that want to be offended by something.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 06-10-2019 at 09:41 AM.

BANNED

That would still be you.
    Wait, you rudely tell me to educate myself while linking a source that is clearly biased, and when I respond with my own sources that back up my assertion, I'm the one speaking nonsense? Please, you could at least try to maintain civility. The insults only serve to make you look foolish, especially when you don't have a reasoned, supported retort.

I don’t think there’s a strong case to change it, and the case to leave it alone is basically “Eh?”.

BANNED

I love how pointing out the problematic dimensions of something automatically equates to be being offended by it, and it always comes from the same people with those same tired soundbytes. The angry dismissiveness with which simple observations are met betrays a level of insecurity you could almost pity if it weren't at the expense of others. The fear of losing privilege is so obviously real.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Luckily I no longer care for the insanity that is modern Marvel.
    Name them whatever is on your feminist agenda. But beware, don‘t forget that you might overlook a minority group.

Ask Ms Cain about the repercussions.
    I wasn't a fan of Mockingbird and Man-Eaters but the anti-fun crowd shouldn't have done that to her.
    "Cable was right!"

My ex-wife said that if the X-Men had a gender neutral name, she wouldn't have taken the dog. Please understand, this is a very emotional issue, and anyone who dares question the name of the franchise also recognizes it as the most trying issue of our times.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate