Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Luckily I no longer care for the insanity that is modern gene-jokes.
    Name them whatever is on your mutie agenda. But beware, don‘t forget that you might overlook a Morlock group.

Ask Magneto about the repercussions.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    My ex-wife said that if the X-Men had a gender neutral name, she wouldn't have taken the dog. Please understand, this is a very emotional issue, and anyone who dares question the name of the franchise also recognizes it as the most trying issue of our times.
    Careful! Your ex might be accused of being a wretched misandrist for daring to take man's best friend away from man.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's about as dated as calling a superhero group "the Avengers" is outdated.
    That is to say...not in the least.

X-Men is the trademark and the name they are famous for.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I think it still fits and is fine the way it is.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What I dislike is when a woman prefers the word "actor" to "actress" for her profession.
    Stupid, isn't it? Women seem to prefer being called "actor" to "actress", these days, but there's a problem with X-"Men"? God, I hate 2019.

BANNED

If Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket Racoon, and Groot household names, I'm sure they can sell a "Nation X" or "X-Corps" without any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherZero View Post
    If Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket Racoon, and Groot household names, I'm sure they can sell a "Nation X" or "X-Corps" without any trouble.
    Except the majority didn't know who those characters were. X-men is a well known brand name. It's going to cause more harm than good for Marvel.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Except the majority didn't know who those characters were. X-men is a well known brand name. It's going to cause more harm than good for Marvel.
    Would it? Considering the reception to Dark Phoenix, I expect a name change would be a great way to signal that Marvel doesn't plan on producing a franchise that repeatedly plagiarizes itself as the Fox X-Men did. It's a quick way to say, "this time will be different."

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Would it? Considering the reception to Dark Phoenix, I expect a name change would be a great way to signal that Marvel doesn't plan on producing a franchise that repeatedly plagiarizes itself as the Fox X-Men did. It's a quick way to say, "this time will be different."
    The last 3 Spider-Man movies had been poorly received, and yet...

It would probably still be very confusing, especially when considering the Fantastic Four name would stay the same. I also don't see how changing the brand name would make people confident in Marvel actually following the source material if they are ignoring the source material's team name in the first place.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

"If it ain't broke..."
    Sadly, nobody adheres to that old adage anymore.

Astonishing Member

Except that X-men is an established brand name that goes WAY BEYOND Fox's X-men movies.

People seriously overestimate how much Fox's movies, particularly the recent ones, have on the popular notions of the franchise.

I'd argue that the 90's cartoon, and the two other animated series, also have a significant impact on the X-men brand even today.

And on the subject of Fox's X-men movies, some of them, most recently X-men Days of Future Past, have been beloved by audiences across the globe. Even if Dark Phoenix bombs as badly as people say it will (and sadly, the numbers do seem to be heading in that direction), the notion that it will prompt Disney to discard one of the greatest brand names in pop-cultural history is ABSURD.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    It would probably still be very confusing, especially when considering the Fantastic Four name would stay the same. I also don't see how changing the brand name would make people confident in Marvel actually following the source material if they are ignoring the source material's team name in the first place.
    Exactatiously.
    The Name wasn't the problem that needed fixing/changing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The last 3 Spider-Man movies had been poorly received, and yet...
    They made a different choice with Spider-Man, and I'm not sure how that negates my point. Your post would make sense if I'd said calling them the "X-Men" would be a mistake that leads to failure given Dark Phoenix's reception. That's not what I said, though, and it's not what I meant.