Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 251
  1. #166
    Mighty Member jpmst17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    But why are people getting riled up? As far as I know, there isn’t like a petition or organized rally to get the name changed. It’s literally just someone’s opinion on the name. There is no way it’ll actually be changed, but that shouldn’t mean a discussion on why that name may affect some people a certain way can’t happen. It’s a contradiction of rhetoric that claims that being too PC results in censorship when the only thing really getting censored is that same opinion that gets people mad.
    people are getting riled up, because thats what people do. realistically, the name won't change, but there are readers, myself included, who have an attachment to the name. changing it for PC reasons, or bringing up the conversation makes people feel defensive. It's been around since the 60's, it's not offensive, and it's a world wide brand name. we can talk about it, but the end result will always be the same

  2. #167
    Mighty Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I already predicted a few weeks ago in some thread here that we would see an end to the name “X-Men” with Hickman coming in. (Not because of Hickman mind you, I just think that the timing makes sense now).

    Now consider this tagline for uncanny X-men 22...
    “It all ends here. This is forever!”

    Could this tagline be referring to the name “X-men”?
    The movies (and even cartoons) rule these days, not the comics. If the name does get changed it will be because Marvel's film making branch has decided for a rebranding of the films, and the comics side of things has rushed to match it in the name of synergy. Marvel Comics are not going to risk their comics having a different name to the (no doubt highly successful) films coming out.

  3. #168
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    But why are people getting riled up? As far as I know, there isn’t like a petition or organized rally to get the name changed. It’s literally just someone’s opinion on the name. There is no way it’ll actually be changed, but that shouldn’t mean a discussion on why that name may affect some people a certain way can’t happen. It’s a contradiction of rhetoric that claims that being too PC results in censorship when the only thing really getting censored is that same opinion that gets people mad.
    Dark Phoenix lost the "X-Men" in its title. A brand even casual Marvel fans recognize. Could've been nothing, but in light of the exec's opinion, it could also be something. Like, testing the waters.
    Don't like? Don't read. Let your wallet talk.

    When will Logan call out Jean for putting his clone and his clone's underage clone in an X-Squad?

  4. #169
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Dark Phoenix lost the "X-Men" in its title. A brand even casual Marvel fans recognize. Could've been nothing, but in light of the exec's opinion, it could also be something. Like, testing the waters.
    Or Disney saw a Turkey and wanted the name speared the embarrassment.

  5. #170
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,446

    Default

    FoX-Men: Dark Turkey
    "Cable was right!"

  6. #171
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    people are getting riled up, because thats what people do. realistically, the name won't change, but there are readers, myself included, who have an attachment to the name. changing it for PC reasons, or bringing up the conversation makes people feel defensive. It's been around since the 60's, it's not offensive, and it's a world wide brand name. we can talk about it, but the end result will always be the same
    The riled up part was supposed to be a little more introspective. Like....why lash out and call everything out as being too PC. It’s just a discussion. And you really have an attachment to the ‘name’? The characters and concepts aren’t more interesting? The word ‘political correctness’ doesn’t make sense either, can’t it just be for inclusiveness sake? Genuine questions. If just bringing up a conversation about a theoretical name change makes people defensive, then I would assume they are the ones that are too sensitive.

    Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Dark Phoenix lost the "X-Men" in its title. A brand even casual Marvel fans recognize. Could've been nothing, but in light of the exec's opinion, it could also be something. Like, testing the waters.
    They also dropped off the “X-Men” portion of “The Wolverine” and “Logan”, I could be wrong but I feel like it was probably because they felt the name could still stand on its own. It’s not like there’s an official, connective universe in the FOX-verse so differentiating titles while giving them all “X-Men:” did seem unnecessary. They probably would’ve just dropped the word from the names of future titles, but the MCU always has the team name in the title.

  7. #172

    Default

    we could just kill off all of the x-women.
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  8. #173
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    we could just kill off all of the x-women.
    As much as I love some X-Women I'd be okay with this as long as their costumes had to be worn by the remaining X-Men....aka I wanna see Sunspot in Psylockes thong

  9. #174
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    40,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    They also dropped off the “X-Men” portion of “The Wolverine” and “Logan”, I could be wrong but I feel like it was probably because they felt the name could still stand on its own. It’s not like there’s an official, connective universe in the FOX-verse so differentiating titles while giving them all “X-Men:” did seem unnecessary. They probably would’ve just dropped the word from the names of future titles, but the MCU always has the team name in the title.
    I mean, solo movies usually don't have the team they're associated with attached to the title (exceptions for stuff like Captain America: The First Avenger).

    The fact that before that we had X-Men Origins: Wolverine also probably didn't help...

  10. #175
    Incredible Member kevinism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    As much as I love some X-Women I'd be okay with this as long as their costumes had to be worn by the remaining X-Men....aka I wanna see Sunspot in Psylockes thong
    I'm so into this

  11. #176
    Mighty Member jpmst17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The riled up part was supposed to be a little more introspective. Like....why lash out and call everything out as being too PC. It’s just a discussion. And you really have an attachment to the ‘name’? The characters and concepts aren’t more interesting? The word ‘political correctness’ doesn’t make sense either, can’t it just be for inclusiveness sake? Genuine questions. If just bringing up a conversation about a theoretical name change makes people defensive, then I would assume they are the ones that are too sensitive.



    They also dropped off the “X-Men” portion of “The Wolverine” and “Logan”, I could be wrong but I feel like it was probably because they felt the name could still stand on its own. It’s not like there’s an official, connective universe in the FOX-verse so differentiating titles while giving them all “X-Men:” did seem unnecessary. They probably would’ve just dropped the word from the names of future titles, but the MCU always has the team name in the title.
    Yes, I like the name X-Men. That is the title of the book and it has been for almost 60 years. Inclusivity is something I don't care for. It feels like you're forcing things for the sake of it. Why are we at a point where everyone needs to be included. It's ok for people to make movies with all POC cast. I'm fine with that. There doesn't need to be a token white person for it to be enjoyable to me. Inclusivity for the sake of it doesn't make things better.

  12. #177
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    But why are people getting riled up? As far as I know, there isn’t like a petition or organized rally to get the name changed. It’s literally just someone’s opinion on the name. There is no way it’ll actually be changed, but that shouldn’t mean a discussion on why that name may affect some people a certain way can’t happen. It’s a contradiction of rhetoric that claims that being too PC results in censorship when the only thing really getting censored is that same opinion that gets people mad.
    It's the internet; people want to be offended.

    Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Dark Phoenix lost the "X-Men" in its title. A brand even casual Marvel fans recognize. Could've been nothing, but in light of the exec's opinion, it could also be something. Like, testing the waters.
    As I recall, that was a creative decision to feed into the idea that the movie is Jean's story, not an X-Men team story. As pointed out above, it's not the first movie in the series to do this. Besides, plenty of the spinoff comics -- New Mutants, X-Force, X-23, etc. -- don't have "X-Men" as part of the tile, so its been a thing for a long time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  13. #178
    Queen of Disaster Magik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    One vote here for a new inclusive name for X-people. Absolutely. I hate it when a X-Woman is called "X-Man".
    Ugh, me too!

    Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    I personally don't think it is, but I understand why people can see it that way, I wouldn't like it if they changed the name but I wouldn't really cry about it if they named them something like X-Factor, a name already linked to them, it would bother me more if they invent an entire new name




    That's in Spanish from Spain right? because I'm from Argentina and here it's "Hombres X" (X-men), X-Patrol doesn't sound bad but, and perhaps it is because of the usage of "patrulla" in here, I link that too much to a military/police group, and they are meant to be more than that
    Spain is so special with translations lol. In Chile we use "Hombres X" too and that's the same with Latin America!

  14. #179
    Spectacular Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Yeah...and it's a pity. I missed when they did other things also.
    Yeah, numerous times when I’ve heard the X-Men described, I’ve heard descriptions like “It’s a comic about dealing with prejudice and all its forms.” Would people say that’s the most accurate way of summing up X-Men and all of its arcs, or would you say X-Men deals with more than simply that?
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.

  15. #180
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, solo movies usually don't have the team they're associated with attached to the title (exceptions for stuff like Captain America: The First Avenger).

    The fact that before that we had X-Men Origins: Wolverine also probably didn't help...
    Oh true. I guess the same didn’t happen for Deadpool, but you could make an argument that either way, it could’ve made sense. Maybe not a strong argument, but one nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    Yes, I like the name X-Men. That is the title of the book and it has been for almost 60 years. Inclusivity is something I don't care for. It feels like you're forcing things for the sake of it. Why are we at a point where everyone needs to be included. It's ok for people to make movies with all POC cast. I'm fine with that. There doesn't need to be a token white person for it to be enjoyable to me. Inclusivity for the sake of it doesn't make things better.
    You not caring for inclusivity doesn’t erase everyone else who does. Hope you realize that we would’ve already been at this stage had it not been for actual laws and “codes of conduct” that prevented people from getting the representation they deserve. And for example, making an all-black movie is the inclusivity, having a token white person or token man on an all-woman cast isn’t inclusivity.

    Last edited by Tycon; 06-14-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •