Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Just leave the name as it is. There's nothing inherently offensive about the name and it is absolutely established. There's way more important battles to be fought than what the X-Men are called.
    Exactatiously!
    With mutants being introduced into the MCU specifically, I would say: Getting the right director; Getting the best writers/story; Getting the right cast/actors ...are phenomenally greater and more important issues to address than how offensive and exclusive the title "X-Men" might be.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-11-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/45468-marv...-outdated.html

Let's politely discuss & don't make it "rectangle thread" of the day.
    Well this is one person's opinion and it's unclear what she's trying to solve for. The term itself doesn't meet the criteria for being outdated in the sense that it still accurately defines the property with a term in general use. It's not an archaic term that confuses readers or fans as to the meaning. I think this is pretty clearly a question of the term being PC or not and I'd have preferred that she frame the discussion that way rather than trying to suggest it's "outdated" which suggests a grammar problem more than a problem of sexual identity as it relates to the characters.

Let's also not forget that this isn't a term like mailman or fireman that real people have to deal with being labelled as on a regular basis. This isn't about a label being applied to an actual person, which IMO is a much more reasonable rationale for changing terminology. I don't personally believe that fictional characters are deserving of the rights of actual people, hence I don't see the need to support changing the franchise name because it may inaccurately portray it's members. It's super hero comics. These characters are going to get mind-wiped, body-snatched, broken physically and mentally, maimed or even killed. If find it ridiculous that we're okay with that, but really worried about the inclusiveness of the team title?

As others have said, it's a brand name like Mr. Clean, not inherently designed to be either inclusive or exclusive. It's just a household term designed to invoke the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you want a title that sounds as pretentious as hell, sure.
    "Captain Ultra" is humble?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

In my mind, "X-Men" is gender-neutral. That's how it's been used in the books, shows, movies and marketing, and I don't think it's outdated by any means.

Pragmatically, there's no reason why Disney would or should ever consider changing the name. There's too much money in it, especially since they just got the film rights back, and trying to change the name would effectively curb stomp the fans' goodwill.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Emma says X-person. "I could use my telepathy to control my cells....is that even possible? Of course it is in an X-person everything is"
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 06-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Emma says X-person. "I could use my telepathy to control my cells....is that even possible? Of course it is in an X-person everything is"
    Whoever wrote that was clearly out to lunch. Emma’d be the last person to care about this sort of thing. She’s all about results, not rhetoric.
    Last edited by Ulfhammer; 06-11-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Incredible Member

I think it is clearly an outdated term. Let's face it, if these books were being started today there is no way any of them would be called X-Men. Obviously though the world was a much different place in the '60s and so it is what it is. My view is that it shouldn't be changed for the sake of it, or to look Politically Correct, it probably shouldn't be changed at all. There is a massive history here, and a global brand, so there is just too much to lose.

I think most readers understand this and aren't particularly concerned about it, the vast majority will know that there are women members too. Marvel still haven't got to grips with proper representation of women (or of sexual orientation, or disability, or religion, or ethnicity), my view is that addressing those issues has to be far more important than just the title here (although I suppose it could be giving a particular impression to potential new young readers).

Are there people who are actually offended by the title? I really don't think so. But I do think it is a point worth raising, and certainly something well worth discussion on forums like this. Points raised here are all valid, and I do think comics in general still needs to do something about inclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I think it is clearly an outdated term. Let's face it, if these books were being started today there is no way any of them would be called X-Men. Obviously though the world was a much different place in the '60s and so it is what it is. My view is that it shouldn't be changed for the sake of it, or to look Politically Correct, it probably shouldn't be changed at all. There is a massive history here, and a global brand, so there is just too much to lose.
    It is not outdated enough to matter so speak. Most people understand X-men means male and female the word is unisex just in the same way huMAN and MANkind are unisex refers to male and feMALE. It is not that outdated.That is why it is not going to change they are bunch of things that have to change before X-men does.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is not outdated enough to matter so speak. Most people understand X-men means male and female the word is unisex just in the same way huMAN and MANkind are unisex refers to male and feMALE. It is not that outdated.That is why it is not going to change they are bunch of things that have to change before X-men does.
    you nailed it

I was thinking there was a typo. I had to re-read the question 5x. That sort of came out of nowhere. How could one of the biggest, most recognizable names be outdated? Am I missing something? Sure, the brand has been left alone in limbo for nearly a decade due to movie rights debacle but with that resolved, it would be easy to turn that around.

If you are asking if the concept is outdated, yes a little. It used to be a title where the geeks who were bullied could relate to, something like a bigger spider-man. That isn't the case anymore. Somehow geeks and gamers took over the world. Besides, when X-men was at its peak, it was more of a family drama than endless extinction drama, which gets really really really really stale. The better question is why did they think the only topic X-men can deal with is extinction when the biggest story (dark phoenix) is about uncontrolled powers.

We need the soap opera x-men back. The sooner marvel realizes that, the less people will ask foolish questions like this.

So is "X-Myn" going to get any traction-- possibly in some fan fiction at least.

I can see "X-Women" being a movie focused on female characters, or a Disney-plus show.

The X-Men could easily be brought into the MCU under the umbrella “House Of X.” We don’t know how Marvel plans to use the term “X-Men” until we read Hickman’s stuff. I could see them never actually using the name “X-Men.” People WILL be offended.
    I personally don’t find the term offensive but, again, it will cause offense.

could always go back to Guido Carosella's "brilliant" idea of calling them Geecees.

Gentle reminder not to question other peoples intelligence, just because they have a different opinion to you.

I thank you all.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    The X-Men could easily be brought into the MCU under the umbrella “House Of X.” We don’t know how Marvel plans to use the term “X-Men” until we read Hickman’s stuff. I could see them never actually using the name “X-Men.” People WILL be offended.
    I personally don’t find the term offensive but, again, it will cause offense.
    Of course there will always be someone who is offended. Take anything in existence and you'll find someone offended by it. Doesn't necessarily mean that thing needs to change or cease to exist. And certainly not in a free society.