Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 06-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Good to hear from Mr. Hickman himself that Jean will be very prominent.

BANNED

lol at Nadler saying what makes X-Men great is character growth/changing dynamics and Seeley saying you shouldn't indulge in will they/won't they couples. Do they read their own ****?

BANNED

Jean8.jpg
    Jean7.jpg

Tim Seeley: Here’s the sad truth you learn when working in ongoing serialized fiction: No one REALLY wants the will-they-wont-they couples together. The moment the creator does it, they’re subject to the ideas and expectations of every reader, and that means every single reader will be disappointed. It’s the old Sam and Diane Conundrum from Cheers. The moment you do it, you lose the story engine that comes from the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    What in the world is going on with Jean's right hand in that last picture?!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    lol at Nadler saying what makes X-Men great is character growth/changing dynamics and Seeley saying you shouldn't indulge in will they/won't they couples. Do they read their own ****?
    Well, they are at least diverse at that.

Jonathan Hickman, a man of few words.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Nadler and Thompson continue to impress me at how awful their interpretations of the X-characters are. Who let these two control these characters for so long? Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Jean8.jpg
    Jean7.jpg

Tim Seeley: Here’s the sad truth you learn when working in ongoing serialized fiction: No one REALLY wants the will-they-wont-they couples together. The moment the creator does it, they’re subject to the ideas and expectations of every reader, and that means every single reader will be disappointed. It’s the old Sam and Diane Conundrum from Cheers. The moment you do it, you lose the story engine that comes from the tension.
    I completely agree with this sentiment.

I find the whole will-they-or-won't-they approach to romance in comics, and every other medium for that matter, to be damaging to both characters involved because it turns them into constant whiners. It was a big part of what made Wolverine so unlikable during the original X-Men movie trilogy. He would go to being Wolverine one minute. Then, he would be this annoying whiner about a woman he barely knew.

It's why I hope there are no major love triangles involving Jean for the near future. That never works out well for anyone involved. Hickman's words about her becoming more prominent in his upcoming run hold a great deal of promise.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I loved how Leah said Rachel is one of her favorite characters, I hope that means Leah will get to have Rachel on whatever book she gets in the fall. Plus I like that there is some hint that they might explore the Summers/Grey family as a whole which bodes well for all four characters; Scott, Jean, Cable, and Rachel.

As for Jean herself, wow, I loved that they were pretty clear that several of the writers do not want Jean sidelined by Charles, they want her to remain as the most powerful telepath. I love that, I feel it is time for Jean to show how much of a master she truly is. Now that she has all of her Jeen memories, she also has all of the extensive training that Emma gave Jeen, particularly in overcoming blocks that were holding her powers back. I remember one of the most memorable conversations between Jeen and Emma was when Emma very much implied that Jeen always had this incredible level of power and the only thing holding her back was always Charles. I remember her saying to Jeen how ironic it was that Jeen was becoming the most powerful telepath in the world now that she in the future and away from Charles.

When they fought against the Jean from the future, Emma, Rachel, and the Cuckoos all ended up falling unconscious, but Jeen was able to meet her older self will to will and her older self ended up giving in.

I guess.

I was hoping maybe Hickman would give us a bit more info.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I guess.

I was hoping maybe Hickman would give us a bit more info.
    Seriously. I was hoping for more from him. It's okay to see the other writers' interpretations and thoughts, but really, if they don't match up with Hickman's, then it's just their thoughts and not reflective of what's gonna happen at all.

I need to read this one a couple more times before I decide what I think about everything.

BANNED

Annalise Bissa: I really prefer comics-Jean, but I guess if I have to pick another version, it would be the one from the movies. Gotta be a fan of the scene where she explodes out of a lake.

Seanan: Grant Morrison’s storyline for her in New X-Men. I adore her relationship with the Phoenix as he explores it there, and I like seeing her move beyond her childhood romance with Scott and begin figuring out who she wants to be as an adult. In the same vein, the story Tom Taylor told with her in X-Men Red was, for me, the best of what Jean Grey can be: weaponized empathy and kindness, and a willingness to burn herself alive for the sake of making the world a measurably better place. My greatest fear for her future is that she’ll be slapped back into a relationship with Scott because it’s an easy character note to play, and keeps her from growing into someone new.