Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I hate that some of the writers feel that just because Jean has a relationship with Scott...that she isn’t allowed to grow. Makes me think there are a lot of single people writing the X-MEN. Seanan McGuire Can go jump in a lake. Glad he’s writing some crap with night crawler so I don’t have to bother with it.
    Doesn’t he have Megan cheat or whatever the term is in another universe?
    Marvel writers have tons weird quirks. Cuckold fetishes, hatred for redheads, fear of commitment, etc. No wonder they’re jealous of Scott and Jean. Quite certain Thompson has a few of these. That’s the problem with JDW letting writers have too much free reign, it all becomes FanFiction.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    That’s just how Marvel handles marriages that aren’t Reed and Sue. No one else can be happily married, no sir. Scott and Jean should count themselves lucky they didn’t have to sell their marriage to the fucking devil—all they had to do was die a couple of times. Marvel went easy on’em.
    The whole deal with the devil is something I still have difficulty coming to terms with. The lengths they will go to at times...
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I hate that some of the writers feel that just because Jean has a relationship with Scott...that she isn’t allowed to grow. Makes me think there are a lot of single people writing the X-MEN. Seanan McGuire Can go jump in a lake. Glad he’s writing some crap with night crawler so I don’t have to bother with it.
    Doesn’t he have Megan cheat or whatever the term is in another universe?
    Seanan is a she. (According to her website FAQ, Seanan is an archaic form of Janet.) And, yes, she is single but that in and of itself isn't meaningful.

Honestly, I think it's less that many of them are single and more that 1) they're all Gen-Xers or Millennials and 2) they all come out of the arty, hipster, far-lefty counter-culture. Stable suburbanites with kids and mortgages they ain't. Given their age bracket, they've grown up with divorce, rather than lifelong marriage, as the cultural norm, leaving them cynical about the idea of marriage. Given the subculture they live in, they see marriage and monogamy as, at best, old-fashioned and boring and, at worst, as archaic, obsolete, and repressive. Monogamy is for squares. Marriage is a form of patriarchal oppression. Adultery isn't wrong, but liberating. Polyamory without commitments is the right way to be. Etc., etc., etc.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Seanan is a she. (According to her website FAQ, Seanan is an archaic form of Janet.) And, yes, she is single but that in and of itself isn't meaningful.

Honestly, I think it's less that many of them are single and more that 1) they're all Gen-Xers or Millennials and 2) they all come out of the arty, hipster, far-lefty counter-culture. Stable suburbanites with kids and mortgages they ain't. Given their age bracket, they've grown up with divorce, rather than lifelong marriage, as the cultural norm, leaving them cynical about the idea of marriage. Given the subculture they live in, they see marriage and monogamy as, at best, old-fashioned and boring and, at worst, as archaic, obsolete, and repressive. Monogamy is for squares. Marriage is a form of patriarchal oppression. Adultery isn't wrong, but liberating. Polyamory without commitments is the right way to be. Etc., etc., etc.
    Interesting, and quite upsetting at the same time.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Simonson, Nicieza and Lodbell were the main responsable for the development of their relationship.
    I don't remember them being written as "cosmic" or " transcendent" anything under Simonson; they were so messed up they nearly killed each other.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Who wrote that? Claremont? He was the one hell-bent on making Jean have an affair with Logan in the first place, then dump Scott.
    Which was only after he'd gone to the trouble of creating Madelyne and pairing Scott off with her as a meta way of bringing Jean back and giving them a happy ending only for Byrne and Layton to blow it all apart with Jean's resurrection and the launch of X-Factor.

Claremont didn't sour on Jott because of Jott. He soured on Jott because of what Layton did to Scott and Madelyne.

And what I, and a lot of people, find it interesting in Scott and Emana is exactly that there is nothing cosmic about them, and I don't care about "OTPs" at all.
    Noted. You're entitled to your tastes. But, not all of us share them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    The whole deal with the devil is something I still have difficulty coming to terms with. The lengths they will go to at times...
    Scott and Jean’ll sell their marriage to Mr. Sinister. More believable

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I was trying to understand who might have drawn the third pic as it doesn't look like either Larraz or Silva - I assume it comes from after HOX/POX?

Lmao, I wonder if there’s any truth to this. That’d be interesting. How would someone even go about studying this shift? The House of Ideas is in for a wild ride. I’m scared. I hate change, someone hold me. I grew up foreign, I can’t handle these western young kid ideals! HELP!

Comic Book Writer: I don't like this ship

Forum Poster: COMIC BOOK WRITERS LOVE ADULTERY
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I love how writers go "Marriage is boring. Instead of putting any effort into writing marriage or trying to challenge that notion, I'm going to break the couple up either by fridging, divorce, or demonic intervention to keep a status quo and shove my fingers in my ears whenever people complain about how boring my stories are."

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I love how writers go "Marriage is boring. Instead of putting any effort into writing marriage or trying to challenge that notion, I'm going to break the couple up either by fridging, divorce, or demonic intervention to keep a status quo and shove my fingers in my ears whenever people complain about how boring my stories are."
    Uh, EXCUSE ME. AGE OF X-MAN JUST HAD NO MARKETING. NEVERMIND EWING’S HULK DIDN’T EITHER. My stories are not boring!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

FUBAR I love ya but stop watching Vox videos.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Simonson, Nicieza and Lodbell were the main responsable for the development of their relationship.
    Post-1986, yes, absolutely.

But, it was Claremont that really made Jott into the phenomenon it is. The transcendent aspect of it, the heightened fairy tale intensity of it comes from him, tracing back to the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas starting with Jean sacrificing herself by piloting the shuttle through the solar flare to save Scott. Claremont also really laid down the backstory with the flashbacks in Uncanny X-Men #138. After Jean's resurrection, Simonson, Lobdell, and Nicieza continued his original ideas and built on them.

The sad irony of Claremont being anti-Jott is that he's the one who made Jott into a romance for the ages in the first place.