Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

By the end of GWW's run, Diana will say that she wishes to stay with the Amazons in whatever exiled place they are and give her blessing (and stuffs) to become the new Wonder Woman.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    This is literally all that is said, and it is at best a second hand of a second hand account:

Meanwhile, every interview with Wilson that I've read, and all the tweets she has done about Wonder Woman, implies that she sees it as an honour to write her. She is certainly bringing her A game when it comes to research, no matter what some posters here might think of her writing.

For myself, I think Wilson's run is shaping up to be the best and hopefully the most influential—in a wholly positive way too!—run ever on Wonder Woman. She can bring the mythological knowledge and depth from Pérez, Rucka's understanding of her character, Simone's levity and encyclopedic knowledge about Wonder Woman's publishing history, together with some of the best writing skills not only in comics but in science fiction and in actual bloody mainstream literature.

Diana in her run might not solve every problem in the book by punching it, but she is unquestionable the chief agent of the story, in that she drives the larger narrative. Which is something that we haven't seen in her own title since the start of JMS's run, maybe even longer. (Note: Tynion also centers her in a similar way in JLD, so it's not totally unknown for the last decade.)

Try to look beyond the story you think you want and read the story you get, and try to understand the values that underpin it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    The point is she didn’t pitch a story, this isn’t something she’d been wanting to do, apparently no one’s queuing up for a chance to write a Wonder Woman story, the passion’s not there and the material reflects that

For me her run is excruciatingly boring and not because the message is lost on me, on the contrary, it's nothing I haven't heard a million times before plus she’s really on-the-nose about it, it’s quite unpleasant imo. Also her Wonder Woman is dull as ditchwater so I certainly don’t agree that Wilson’s got a good handle on her. I don’t agree that she’s the one driving the story either, in fact it rather feels like WW goes where the story takes her, and the story goes where there might be a moral/political point to be made
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 06-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't blame them, it's a thankless job. Even with a great writer like Greg Rucka there's a high percentage of us who don't like his work. Who wants to fight DC and fans? This thread is evidence of how quick we are to jump to conclusions and pounce on anything we disagree with in the preview, before we've even read the whole issue. Some Wonder Woman followers are notoriously hard to please. Not that I'm chastising anyone, I'm also guilty of this.
    Well I would happily jump on this “thankless job” given half a chance

This is a thread to discuss the preview of issue 72.

This is NOT a discussion about whether or not Rucka in Sacrifice or Johns or Snyder did or would write Diana as a powerhouse.

I'm getting pretty tired of every thread getting derailed into a history of feats rant.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't blame them, it's a thankless job. Even with a great writer like Greg Rucka there's a high percentage of us who don't like his work. Who wants to fight DC and fans? This thread is evidence of how quick we are to jump to conclusions and pounce on anything we disagree with in the preview, before we've even read the whole issue. Some Wonder Woman followers are notoriously hard to please. Not that I'm chastising anyone, I'm also guilty of this.
    Fwiw, I wasn't jumping to any conclusions. The scene is plainly written and, unfortunately, has been repeated several times in the run so far.

I like GWW and her style of writing, but I am getting rather tired of seeing Diana punch things, fail, and then have Aphrodite or Maggie or Atlantiades step in to solve the problem/save the day (see Diana vs Ares, Diana vs stone giants, Diana vs townspeople and now Diana vs giant minotaur). I was very disappointed to see issue 72 opening with a repeat of the same scenario.

Like previous runs, this book just doesn't feel like Diana's story - this feels like Maggie's and Friends and the Sword of Wonder. I keep hoping Diana will take charge of the story instead of following Aphrodite/Maggie around.

Honest question - has Diana (a) beaten a foe or (b) solved a major problem during GWWs run so far?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Fwiw, I wasn't jumping to any conclusions. The scene is plainly written and, unfortunately, has been repeated several times in the run so far.

I like GWW and her style of writing, but I am getting rather tired of seeing Diana punch things, fail, and then have Aphrodite or Maggie or Atlantiades step in to solve the problem/save the day (see Diana vs Ares, Diana vs stone giants, Diana vs townspeople and now Diana vs giant minotaur). I was very disappointed to see issue 72 opening with a repeat of the same scenario.

Like previous runs, this book just doesn't feel like Diana's story - this feels like Maggie's and Friends and the Sword of Wonder. I keep hoping Diana will take charge of the story instead of following Aphrodite/Maggie around.

Honest question - has Diana (a) beaten a foe or (b) solved a major problem during GWWs run so far?
    Yes.

With hugs. (Eye roll)
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

When does GWW get off this book?