Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    See? This is what i don't understand. People keep talking about editors. So what's the deal? DC people don't care at all, so they allow this underwhelming WW to continue? Batman and Superman are never writen with the passivity of WW for most of this decade. It's the writers or the eitor, or both?.
    A lot of characters like Wonder Woman suffer from this problem. You will almost always find an author that wants to write for Batman or Superman because they are so famous, but less so for a characters like Wonder Woman or Aquaman. I always find it telling that major authors (Bendis) or rising stars (King) always seem to jump on one of those properties at the first chance they can.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    A lot of characters like Wonder Woman suffer from this problem. You will almost always find an author that wants to write for Batman or Superman because they are so famous, but less so for a characters like Wonder Woman or Aquaman. I always find it telling that major authors (Bendis) or rising stars (King) always seem to jump on one of those properties at the first chance they can.
    And what problem would that be? Why is it that nobody at DC seems to care about WW being portrayed as weak and passive all the time about the things that happen around her. Fame can't be the problem because Wonder Woman is super famous.

And what problem would that be? Why is it that nobody at DC seems to care about WW being portrayed as weak and passive all the time about the things that happen around her. Fame can't be the problem because Wonder Woman is super famous.
    Wonder Woman is famous yes, but she occupies a sort of middle space with Batman and Superman above her, characters like Green Lantern and Aquaman at her side and everyone else below her.

If we take a look at an author like Tom King for instance, he mostly worked on minor titles like Omega Men, Grayson and Vision initially. These titles catapulted him into a comic book stardom and he was almost immediately placed on a Batman book. Now Batman books occupy most of Tom King's catalogue, along with major event books. I'm not saying Tom King should work his way up the comic book ladder, but, I think its telling that he went from writing very obscure titles to the most popular superhero very quickly. I believe King's pattern mimics Grant Morrison's career too, who went from writing creator owned work and lower tiered characters (Doom Patrol, Animal Man) then he went on to write JLA, X-Men, All-Star Superman, and Batman. Only now is Morrison tackling characters like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, almost 25 years later after his career took off.

I don't think its a coincidence that Batman can have 3 authors write extensive Batman epics (Morrison, Snyder, King) back to back and Wonder Woman has troubles maintaining an author for over a year. I mean, even a major Wonder Woman author like Greg Rucka wrote Batman before coming to Wonder Woman, and his work on that character is arguably more famous and influential than his Wonder Woman stuff.

You do need great editors of course, but you need great authors too and it doesn't help that all the best authors seem to skip over the character. It often feels that DC has to go out and find authors to write for Wonder Woman rather than writers coming to DC with great Wonder Woman storylines (i.e. the entire Jason arc).
    Last edited by Pinsir; 06-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.

BANNED

Wonder Woman is famous yes, but she occupies a sort of middle space with Batman and Superman above her, characters like Green Lantern and Aquaman at her side and everyone else below her.

If we take a look at an author like Tom King for instance, he mostly worked on minor titles like Omega Men, Grayson and Vision initially. These titles catapulted him into a comic book stardom and he was almost immediately placed on a Batman book. Now Batman books occupy most of Tom King's catalogue, along with major event books. I'm not saying Tom King should work his way up the comic book ladder, but, I think its telling that he went from writing very obscure titles to the most popular superhero very quickly. I believe King's pattern mimics Grant Morrison's career too, who went from writing creator owned work and lower tiered characters (Doom Patrol, Animal Man) then he went on to write JLA, X-Men, All-Star Superman, and Batman. Only now is Morrison tackling characters like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, almost 25 years later after his career took off.

I don't think its a coincidence that Batman can have 3 authors write extensive Batman epics (Morrison, Snyder, King) back to back and Wonder Woman has troubles maintaining an author for over a year. I mean, even a major Wonder Woman author like Greg Rucka wrote Batman before coming to Wonder Woman, and his work on that character is arguably more famous and influential than his Wonder Woman stuff.

You do need great editors of course, but you need great authors too and it doesn't help that all the best authors seem to skip over the character. It often feels that DC has to go out and find authors to write for Wonder Woman rather than writers coming to DC with great Wonder Woman storylines (i.e. the entire Jason arc).
    WW has had many A list names. But some of them just damaged her character like azz. gww is not doing her any favors either. One writer after another(whaever they are big names or not) They keep writing her as a super human greek warrior woman, not a powerhouse. Keep writing her as extremely passive. And her personality feels lifeless as a result.

Extraordinary Member

“...but that doesn’t mean that those (Diana) is travelling with will survive.”

Sigh. We can only hope.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    This theme is getting ridiculous, imo.

Diana takes on something big. Diana gets knocked silly. Someone saves Diana.

Oy.
    Yeah, that’s just pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

The writers' pet characters in Wonder Woman constantly getting spotlight over her is just so beyond tired at this point.
    So it’s not just me seeing it? It seemed that way to me months ago, but the pattern is now glaring.

Thank god for Justice League Dark is all I can say.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-11-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Even G. Willow Wilson is only writing Wonder Woman reportedly because she “owed a project” to an editor according to BleedingCool, and she’s phoning it in. Her total lack of interest in the character is palpable…

Snyder’s said he wants a crack at Wonder Woman but clearly he’s in no rush to do it which I'm rather thankful for as he just wants to put his stamp on her

Basically no one’s putting their hand up to write Wonder Woman it seems like

Extraordinary Member

I would say that pretty true but hardly graven in stone,

I mean gawd - AQUAMAN. For decades he was barely more than a joke. If ever there was proof that a character can shed the chains of mediocrity and rise up the ladder it’s the king of the sea.

Basically all you need is a talented writer committed to the task of making the character compelling and her world captivating.

Sadly not what we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Even G. Willow Wilson is only writing Wonder Woman reportedly because she “owed a project” to an editor according to BleedingCool, and she’s phoning it in. Her total lack of interest in the character is palpable…
    Source?

Meanwhile I wonder how some posters here would react to Marston's original tales, where she is captured and tied up nearly every single episode…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

This is literally all that is said, and it is at best a second hand of a second hand account:

I have been told that G Willow Wilson has told people that she still owes her DC editors a project.
    Meanwhile, every interview with Wilson that I've read, and all the tweets she has done about Wonder Woman, implies that she sees it as an honour to write her. She is certainly bringing her A game when it comes to research, no matter what some posters here might think of her writing.

For myself, I think Wilson's run is shaping up to be the best and hopefully the most influential—in a wholly positive way too!—run ever on Wonder Woman. She can bring the mythological knowledge and depth from Pérez, Rucka's understanding of her character, Simone's levity and encyclopedic knowledge about Wonder Woman's publishing history, together with some of the best writing skills not only in comics but in science fiction and in actual bloody mainstream literature.

Diana in her run might not solve every problem in the book by punching it, but she is unquestionable the chief agent of the story, in that she drives the larger narrative. Which is something that we haven't seen in her own title since the start of JMS's run, maybe even longer. (Note: Tynion also centers her in a similar way in JLD, so it's not totally unknown for the last decade.)

Try to look beyond the story you think you want and read the story you get, and try to understand the values that underpin it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Snyder’s said he wants a crack at Wonder Woman but clearly he’s in no rush to do it which I'm rather thankful for as he just wants to put his stamp on her

Basically no one’s putting their hand up to write Wonder Woman it seems like
    I don't blame them, it's a thankless job. Even with a great writer like Greg Rucka there's a high percentage of us who don't like his work. Who wants to fight DC and fans? This thread is evidence of how quick we are to jump to conclusions and pounce on anything we disagree with in the preview, before we've even read the whole issue. Some Wonder Woman followers are notoriously hard to please. Not that I'm chastising anyone, I'm also guilty of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Source?

Meanwhile I wonder how some posters here would react to Marston's original tales, where she is captured and tied up nearly every single episodeÂ…
    I'm not much of a fan of those stories either.

WW has had many A list names. But some of them just damaged her character like azz. gww is not doing her any favors either. One writer after another(whaever they are big names or not) They keep writing her as a super human greek warrior woman, not a powerhouse. Keep writing her as extremely passive. And her personality feels lifeless as a result.
    I wouldn't call Azzarello an A lister, he's really only famous for his Wonder Woman stuff. GWW definitely is not an A lister, even if Ms. Marvel debuted with a lot of fanfare, it was never considered a great book and it ended in a wimper as well. By A list I mean comic creators like Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker. Yes, we did get John Byrne and George Perez, but both of those runs came very late in their respective careers, about the same time it took Morrison too finally write Wonder Woman.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying only A listers should exclusively write Wonder Woman as it would have been great if someone like Tom King first cut his teeth with Wonder Woman first. Ironically, if Wonder Woman were a lower tiered character we would probably have a lot more great Wonder Woman stories. There is just more space to work in with lower tier characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Source?

Meanwhile I wonder how some posters here would react to Marston's original tales, where she is captured and tied up nearly every single episode…
    You mean the ones where she is the main character and can tow the sun?

Marston put in place some very specific weaknessses typical of superheroes of the time. A blow to the base of the skull could knock out an Amazon, and having her hands bound by a man negated her powers.

The difference here is that Wonder Woman isn’t handicapped by targeted weaknesses there to give the audience a sense of danger. She’s just not strong enough.

Try to look beyond the story you think you want and read the story you get, and try to understand the values that underpin it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    No.

I’m sorry, but I get sick and tired of people on these boards telling other people the reason they aren’t enjoying a book is they aren’t reading it right. I like to be surprised in stories as much as anyone, but im not going to stand on my head and squint through one eye in the hope that a story I’m not really enjoying will magically transform.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-11-2019 at 02:11 PM.