Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Preview Issue 72

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This theme is getting ridiculous, imo.

Diana takes on something big. Diana gets knocked silly. Someone saves Diana.

Oy.

Does anyone find any of this interesting? I love Diana so much, but finding out I could care less what they are talking about with her in these current stories. They aren't interesting at all to me.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Oy.
    And they even said it. "way too much bad guy for us". While other characters are still treated as powerhouses. Diana is the super human xena now. Almost anything above peak human level is a challenge for her nowadays.

Sometimes i feel bad, because some people here like gww. But it is true that her WW feels weak. It is 100% true.

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Does anyone find any of this interesting? I love Diana so much, but finding out I could care less what they are talking about with her in these current stories. They aren't interesting at all to me.
    I'm not much into the action (but then I usually isn't), but I like Wilson's voices for the characters and the story they are participating in. Above all it feels like she cares for the characters in a very real way.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I had a lot of hope for GWW's run and while it's been far better than Robinson's run, that's hardly much to praise. It's ok to have the hero of the book occasionally aided by someone else, but the continuous passivity of Wonder Woman has gotten old. Superman and certainly Batman would never be allowed to be written in this manner. When Rebirth started, things were looking so good and now the best I can muster is damning with faint praise.
    Likewise, the art is so all over the place. One issue we get Xermanico who is amazing and the next we get Merino...who is usually better than what he has been turning in here. I've dropped the only other character I have followed no matter what, Nightwing. I would hate to end a 40+ year buying streak of Wonder Woman but if things dont change soon, I may just be doing that.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Oy.

You caught that too? I think I'm taking a break from this book until Cheetah arrives in #75. The writing seems repetitive and amateur. We have yet another writer who is focusing way too much on their own creations(Maggie & the Zoo Crew) and public domain characters and not doing enough to build up Diana's established supporting cast and rogues gallery. Where have we seen this before?
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 06-10-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Surprised to see so much apathy...I think the book has been improving in quality since the first arc.

I don't mind a good supporting cast, its one of the reasons why I like John Byrne's work with the character, though it did strike me now that we have another author inventing their own supporting cast than relying on what came before...I guess Steve Trevor really does suck?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Oy.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

The writers' pet characters in Wonder Woman constantly getting spotlight over her is just so beyond tired at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Surprised to see so much apathy...I think the book has been improving in quality since the first arc.

I don't mind a good supporting cast, its one of the reasons why I like John Byrne's work with the character, though it did strike me now that we have another author inventing their own supporting cast than relying on what came before...I guess Steve Trevor really does suck?
    I think it is the same as the first arc. Other characters taking the spotlight away from WW. And her always needing help from somebody else to end a fight.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

The writers' pet characters in Wonder Woman constantly getting spotlight over her is just so beyond tired at this point.

This is a bit of a shame. Looking at the pages, I can't help but think how easy it could have been to tweak it to show Diana in the best light whilst giving attention to Maggie:

GWW could still have had Diana tussle with the colossal minotaur once (or twice) and still fail to destroy it. Diana hypothesizes that maybe the sword is the key since it has lead the group thus far. Diana instructs Maggie to stand ready with the sword while she attacks to maneuver the construct into a vulnerable position for Maggie to strike.

And so...Diana is shown to be a capable warrior and intelligent leader. She may not be able to overpower the minotaur, but she conceives of the plan to do so.

And Maggie is shown to be brave, has an integral part of the plot but doesn't save/diminish Diana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    This is a bit of a shame. Looking at the pages, I can't help but think how easy it could have been to tweak it to show Diana in the best light whilst giving attention to Maggie:

GWW could still have had Diana tussle with the colossal minotaur once (or twice) and still fail to destroy it. Diana hypothesizes that maybe the sword is the key since it has lead the group thus far. Diana instructs Maggie to stand ready with the sword while she attacks to maneuver the construct into a vulnerable position for Maggie to strike.

And so...Diana is shown to be a capable warrior and intelligent leader. She may not be able to overpower the minotaur, but she conceives of the plan to do so.

And Maggie is shown to be brave, has an integral part of the plot but doesn't save/diminish Diana.
    For that to happen. We would need writers that actually care about showing Diana as a competent hero. How many writers have cared to show that in Rebirth? Not many.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    For that to happen. We would need writers that actually care about showing Diana as a competent hero. How many writers have cared to show that in Rebirth? Not many.
    I would say that it's not just the writer's job or fault. I think it also requires an editor that cares for and knows her/his responsibility.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I would say that it's not just the writer's job or fault. I think it also requires an editor that cares for and knows her/his responsibility.
    See? This is what i don't understand. People keep talking about editors. So what's the deal? DC people don't care at all, so they allow this underwhelming WW to continue? Batman and Superman are never writen with the passivity of WW for most of this decade. It's the writers or the eitor, or both?.

I love the 'Meghan Markle as Diana' cover. He usually muses Jennifer Connelly.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!