Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sage was about 12 when Ororo was about 6 when Legion was conceived when Xavier was about 22. I think of Sebastian as being a little older than Charles.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Yeah, the Emma Frost mini series retconned this. It specifically portrayed Emma around the same age as the O5. Chris Claremont did admit that he intended Emma to be in her 30's, she would be younger than Charles and younger than some of the other HFC members but older than the X-Men. This got changed over the years and was completely retconned in all of the Emma Frost solos which portrayed her as the same age as Jean and Scott.

There is also the issue that shows that Emma was committed to any asylum by her parents when she started hearing voices (telepathy), removed by Magneto so he could strap her into Cerebro and use her as a weapon. The O5 were the same age as Emma in this flashback story.

This happens fairly often in comics, sometimes characters you think have a definite age difference are retconned to be closer in age. Hence the sliding time scale.
    I always mentally put Emma to be as old as Hank or a year or two older, but I realize that's just my internal voice and not canon.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    In fairness, just about every age mention, timeskip, or whatever timey-wimey nonsense is a retcon.
    this is true. I dont see Emma as older than the original team as for years now she has been shown as in the same age group as Scott and company.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Xavier is much younger than people think. In 1963's X-Men, he was just 10 years after the war, and he joined the military just after graduating from Oxford, and he graduated much earlier than usual since he was telepathically reading his teachers minds since he was a tween.

So, realistically, Charles was only in his latest 20's/earliest 30's when he formed the X-Men(and Iceman was the youngest at 16, so Scott/Jean/Warren are 17 or 18, and Hank is 18/19). In Morrison's run, he is aged at only 41 by Jean when he is dying.

I think Patrick Stewart playing him made everyone think he was a man in his 60's, but you have to consider he had David when he was a very young man(barely in his 20's), and David was introduced as a 16-18 year old in the mid 80's, so he's still youngish, without considering his clone body. That also gives us a lock on Ororo's age, as she was like 5-7 years old just weeks before David was conceived(when she picked Charle's pocket in Cairo, Charles goes to Israel just after that where he meets Gabrielle Haller and Magnus).
    excellent post. I just love the posts that include images to earlier stories.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I always mentally put Emma to be as old as Hank or a year or two older, but I realize that's just my internal voice and not canon.
    I always have to remind myself actively that Hank is not 40 years old.

hank is my precious blue baby boy
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Graymalkin is 216 years old.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Well, that's even more of a slippery slope. You have to realize, original run Magneto had no backstory with Xavier or WW2, he was just a power-hungry villain trying to make a mutant nation to take over the world from. That said, if you do factor in his later backstory, 1963 is not even a full 20 years after the Holocaust ended, so if Magnus had been a child in the camps, he would have only been in his 30's in the original stories, and only a little more than a decade has passed in continuity since then, so he'd be in his mid/late 40's by now, just a little older than Charles should be. That said, even by the mid 70's, they had already de-aged Magneto to a baby and back to prime time, before they even specified his Holocaust origins, so he already has an out for not looking as old as a Holocaust survivor should.
    Magneto was born in 1926 according to Magneto Testament.

Mighty Member

I've given up how Marvel handles the aging process in general with their bizarro sliding timeline. Looking at you, Cassie Lang, Kristoff Vernard, and Julie Power.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 06-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Magneto was born in 1926 according to Magneto Testament.
    Hard dates kinda don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I was really just working relativistically. You have to discard actual dates for a lot of characters such as Ororo, Jean, and Psylocke/Brian, so while Magnus is more specifically tied to an actual historic moment moreso than the other characters, especially coming from a book in 2009, I don't think that is so important.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Jubilee was referencing/quoting Little Richard, Sally Jessie Raphael, had a Walkman, listened to Blondie/Clash/the Cure when she was a new character. The Marvel Handbook for 1989 also listed her as 15 years old... but the three or four years later when Gen X debuted she was supposedly 13.5. Either way, I have a hard time believing that she would be a teen still. She said she was 16.5 in a Gen X issue (around issue #60 or so,) in the late 80s. That would mean she aged three years in ten real-world years. It’s been 20 years since then, so she should be at least 22-23 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Jubilee was referencing/quoting Little Richard, Sally Jessie Raphael, had a Walkman, listened to Blondie/Clash/the Cure when she was a new character. The Marvel Handbook for 1989 also listed her as 15 years old... but the three or four years later when Gen X debuted she was supposedly 13.5. Either way, I have a hard time believing that she would be a teen still. She said she was 16.5 in a Gen X issue (around issue #60 or so,) in the late 80s. That would mean she aged three years in ten real-world years. It’s been 20 years since then, so she should be at least 22-23 in my opinion.
    Jubilee wins for sliding timeline aging, no doubt. She was introduces as a teen in the 80's, and still is a teen well into the 2010's. Some current writers still treat her as a teen. For my inner continuity, she was 12.5 back in the Aussie era(ala Natalie Portman in Leon the Professional), when Kitty was just turning 15 in early Excalibur, turns 13 circa X-Men #1(there was a six month time gap between the end of the Muir Island Saga and #1), and the early 90's Blue/Gold era covers another few months before we get to the mid 90's Gen X launch. The whole of Gen X's 75 issues is less than two years(ignoring that they positioned her and Skin as 18 moving to LA after the Mass. Academy closed) so she's only 16ish circa the X-Corps/New X-Men era, which was only about 3 years ago to current, which puts her at 19, almost 20 now. I still think of Kitty as being barely 22(it's been less than 10 years since DPS, where she was 13.5, and despite Jean being explicitly 24 at the end of DPS, she now retroactively has to be much younger, barely 20).

It all gets confusing if you look at it too long.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 06-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.