Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's the interpretation of the people writing and editing the books that matters - they are what the writers say they are.
    Thank you for letting me know my interpretation of the material and characters I read does not matter

I will defer to the ever-rotating door of writers & editors...

I know in the Emma Frost mini series she was still around 15 or 16 when the O5 were on TV fighting Magneto. She was visiting her brother Christian in the hospital at the time and the O5 were on the TV. This was before Emma left home at age 16. So it makes sense she is pretty much around Jean, Scott, and Bobby's ages. Hank is a year or two older than Jean and Scott I believe.

Realistically the way they are written I would place Jean, Scott, and Emma in their mid 30's based on their portrayals. They act as pretty confident adults most of the time and it feels like they are around 30 or higher. But I know JDW did say they were all 28ish.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I know in the Emma Frost mini series she was still around 15 or 16 when the O5 were on TV fighting Magneto. She was visiting her brother Christian in the hospital at the time and the O5 were on the TV. This was before Emma left home at age 16. So it makes sense she is pretty much around Jean, Scott, and Bobby's ages. Hank is a year or two older than Jean and Scott I believe.

Realistically the way they are written I would place Jean, Scott, and Emma in their mid 30's based on their portrayals. They act as pretty confident adults most of the time and it feels like they are around 30 or higher. But I know JDW did say they were all 28ish.
    According to Emma's solo, she left at 17 as soon as she could possibly graduate. So her being around Hank's age would be very possible. But 28 makes no sense, but as usual it's one of those comic book things that makes zero sense.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I wouldn't put Kurt past 30. He was celebrating his 21st birthday in Uncanny X-Men Annual (1st series) #4, which was about the same time as Uncanny #139. He was one of the youngest of the ANAD X-Men (Colossus was about 18 at that time). I'D put Ororo at least a couple of years older, and Scott, Hank, Jean and Warren in their early to mid thirties.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    I wouldn't put Kurt past 30. He was celebrating his 21st birthday in Uncanny X-Men Annual (1st series) #4, which was about the same time as Uncanny #139. He was one of the youngest of the ANAD X-Men (Colossus was about 18 at that time). I'D put Ororo at least a couple of years older, and Scott, Hank, Jean and Warren in their early to mid thirties.
    You are wrong. Anyone putting any X-man apart from the older crowd of Logan, Charles, Sean, etc, in their 30's, is incorrect, since Marvel won't allow it.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Emma referred to the Xmen including Ororo as youngsters. She had to be at least 10 plus years older than them. any story that states she is the same age or younger than the O5/ororo is a retcon:

Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-11-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Emma referred to the Xmen including Ororo as youngsters. She had to be at least 10 plus years older than them. any story that states she is the same age or younger than the O5/ororo is a retcon:

In fairness, just about every age mention, timeskip, or whatever timey-wimey nonsense is a retcon.

Wolverine's age is pretty set now, at least, Origins was a thing. He was born in the late Victorian era, well after the Civil War, in western Canada(Alberta to be exact). He was born after 1886, so he should be no more than 133. Sabretooth is probably a little older. Mystique too. Sinister is around here too, maybe a little older than Logan.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 06-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Yes, you can easily make a retcon with Emma and say "She pretended to be older so that they would respect her more". Would we really be surprised if Emma pretended to be more or less old than she is?

Xavier is much younger than people think. In 1963's X-Men, he was just 10 years after the war, and he joined the military just after graduating from Oxford, and he graduated much earlier than usual since he was telepathically reading his teachers minds since he was a tween.

So, realistically, Charles was only in his latest 20's/earliest 30's when he formed the X-Men(and Iceman was the youngest at 16, so Scott/Jean/Warren are 17 or 18, and Hank is 18/19). In Morrison's run, he is aged at only 41 by Jean when he is dying.

I think Patrick Stewart playing him made everyone think he was a man in his 60's, but you have to consider he had David when he was a very young man(barely in his 20's), and David was introduced as a 16-18 year old in the mid 80's, so he's still youngish, without considering his clone body. That also gives us a lock on Ororo's age, as she was like 5-7 years old just weeks before David was conceived(when she picked Charle's pocket in Cairo, Charles goes to Israel just after that where he meets Gabrielle Haller and Magnus).

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Xavier is much younger than people think. In 1963's X-Men, he was just 10 years after the war, and he joined the military just after graduating from Oxford, and he graduated much earlier than usual since he was telepathically reading his teachers minds since he was a tween.

So, realistically, Charles was only in his latest 20's/earliest 30's when he formed the X-Men(and Iceman was the youngest at 16, so Scott/Jean/Warren are 17 or 18, and Hank is 18/19). In Morrison's run, he is aged at only 41 by Jean when he is dying.

I think Patrick Stewart playing him made everyone think he was a man in his 60's, but you have to consider he had David when he was a very young man(barely in his 20's), and David was introduced as a 16-18 year old in the mid 80's, so he's still youngish, without considering his clone body. That also gives us a lock on Ororo's age, as she was like 5-7 years old just weeks before David was conceived(when she picked Charle's pocket in Cairo, Charles goes to Israel just after that where he meets Gabrielle Haller and Magnus).
    I think the main reason why people assume that Xavier is older than he is is because of his friendship with Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I think the main reason why people assume that Xavier is older than he is is because of his friendship with Magneto.
    Plus his parental relationship with Scott adds into that.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Well, that's even more of a slippery slope. You have to realize, original run Magneto had no backstory with Xavier or WW2, he was just a power-hungry villain trying to make a mutant nation to take over the world from. That said, if you do factor in his later backstory, 1963 is not even a full 20 years after the Holocaust ended, so if Magnus had been a child in the camps, he would have only been in his 30's in the original stories, and only a little more than a decade has passed in continuity since then, so he'd be in his mid/late 40's by now, just a little older than Charles should be. That said, even by the mid 70's, they had already de-aged Magneto to a baby and back to prime time, before they even specified his Holocaust origins, so he already has an out for not looking as old as a Holocaust survivor should.

Plus Xavier was sort of friends with Sebastian Shaw when they were in Afghanistan, and Tessa is younger than both of them since she was a teenage freedom fighter in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    In fairness, just about every age mention, timeskip, or whatever timey-wimey nonsense is a retcon.
    Yeah, the Emma Frost mini series retconned this. It specifically portrayed Emma around the same age as the O5. Chris Claremont did admit that he intended Emma to be in her 30's, she would be younger than Charles and younger than some of the other HFC members but older than the X-Men. This got changed over the years and was completely retconned in all of the Emma Frost solos which portrayed her as the same age as Jean and Scott.

There is also the issue that shows that Emma was committed to any asylum by her parents when she started hearing voices (telepathy), removed by Magneto so he could strap her into Cerebro and use her as a weapon. The O5 were the same age as Emma in this flashback story.

This happens fairly often in comics, sometimes characters you think have a definite age difference are retconned to be closer in age. Hence the sliding time scale.