Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 LastLast

I don't even know why Square throwing CD under the bus is newsworthy. They weren't happy with the game's revenue? No sh*t, we knew that a year ago. That's not news, it's just Square trying to avoid accountability and rubbing salt in the wound.

Anyway, the Spidey trailer looks....fine? Parker is properly quippy and the costume looks good (not great, but good). The movement and combat style seems right. But it's just a cinematic, what I really want to see is actual gameplay, and traversal more than anything else. I've no doubt Spidey will feel really good in combat, this game hasn't disappointed when it comes to that. But getting around the maps is something else entirely, and if Spidey only has Widow style grapple lines....that's not gonna cut it.

Honestly, I think Spidey is gonna end up a failure for this game, or at least he's not gonna change its fate one way or another. His PS exclusivity only serves to piss off two-thirds of the player base while putting this version of the character in direct competition with Insomniac's, and there's no way Avengers Spidey looks good in comparison. The exclusivity also means there's limited value in doing a full expansion story, so we end up with this halfassed measure of a Spidey-centric Event, and people already complain about not having enough variety or things to do in game.

This kind of Event-not-story character launch would be fine for lesser guys like Winter Soldier or Falcon, but for a name as big as Spider-Man, and it only being for PS players? I play on PS and even I'm kinda annoyed by it all.

I'm far more interested in the changes to the gear system than I am Spidey, honestly.

The complaints about monetization were overblown though. Nothing in game requires real money, and those XP boosters weren't a big deal. You can level a character pretty damn fast in the first place and it's not like the game has such a high skill requirement you're gonna out-level your ability to play correctly. I'm glad the boosters were taken out, and CD did break their promise to not include that sorta stuff, but people were acting like you had to drop real cash or you couldn't do anything and that was never the case.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't even know why Square throwing CD under the bus is newsworthy. They weren't happy with the game's revenue? No sh*t, we knew that a year ago. That's not news, it's just Square trying to avoid accountability and rubbing salt in the wound.
    It's newsworthy because Square is taking the failure the wrong way. They didn't get the wrong team, they chose the wrong model for the game.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I can only say this in regards to the whole situation outside of Spider-Man --- Corporate's gonna corporate. It's all about keeping the brand strong, and whatever fails to keep the brand strong . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't know if it was the wrong model, outside of the weird monetization. People use the whole it was a multiplayer game as an excuse. But multiplayer games have been around for decades, even ones online without problems. And them never creating cloud saves despite making a multiplayer online game shows that some of it is that it's the wrong people making the game too. Because that's bare minimum.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

According to a dev, this game's Spider-man is college aged and begin being Spider-man after A-day

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/new...-release-date/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to a dev, this game's Spider-man is college aged and begin being Spider-man after A-day

Thank goodness he's not in high school .

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thank goodness he's not in high school .
    Yes. Yes, indeed. We might be getting something closer to the 80s/90s animated Peter Parkers that were college students with a few years of "fighting crime, spinning webs" under their belts.

After A-Day? That's interesting.

So for someone who hasn't touched the game in a long time and haven't played the previous DLCs would it not be a good idea to go into the Spider-Man one or previous ones with low level characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    After A-Day? That's interesting.

So for someone who hasn't touched the game in a long time and haven't played the previous DLCs would it not be a good idea to go into the Spider-Man one or previous ones with low level characters?
    Well, I'd recommend playing the main campaign through, just for the sake of keeping the storyline intact. Play the main campaign, then the Kate stuff, then Clint, then Wakanda.

If you have a PS, the Spidey stuff is, I think, a limited-time event so, yknow, do that when it launches.

As for low level characters, if I recall correctly there's a minimum level requirement for a bunch of stuff but once you hit that, you shouldn't have any problems.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

IGN was given gameplay footage by Crystal Dynamics and it comes with some bad news at the end of the video...

spoilers:
    The Spider-Man DLC doesn't include a new storyline. There's a cutscene that shows how Peter meets the Avengers and the rest of his story is told through audio files you unlock by completing missions (like attack an enemy in a specific way).
    end of spoilers

Over a year later is this game worth picking up now, especially with BF sales bringing it down to $15?

For $15 it's a steal. The main campaign is worth that at a minimum.

Spidey looks good. Traversal seems better than I feared. Combat looks as good as expected.

~ Black Panther.

IGN was really harsh on the Spidey preview but the youtubers who cover this game regularly seem more impressed, and I get the vibe that IGN was going to take a dump on Spidey no matter what the quality was actually like; there's a bad narrative around this game now that they seem to want to stick with. Must make good click bait.

Anyone expecting a full story mode and unique missions, or new enemies or whatever, was never gonna get what they want. This is exclusive to a single console, the devs were never going to drop a ton of effort into it due to that limitation. It's a crap situation since Spidey is such a popular, big name character but it is what it is, and this was never going to equal the glory of Insomniac's single player, dedicated Spidey games. But I bet if this weren't Spidey, if it were War Machine or Winter Soldier (and available to everyone), people would be applauding this kind of smaller scale release; less time and effort than a full DLC and we get a new character to try out. I suggested this sort of thing ages ago here and I suspect that CD will use this kind of launch again. Everyone is bitching about Spidey not being available for all consoles and how he deserves better than a small Event but I suspect it'll be successful anyway, people might bitch about how Spidey is being treated but they'll still log on when the 30th hits.

I'm hoping the changes coming up this week turn out well. The system tweaks look alright, though I worry how the stat changes on gear will affect my characters. I haven't played the game in a few months, but I'm glad they're giving me a reason to in a couple days.

~ Black Panther.

Started playing some days ago and so far i quite like it.

Yes, the gameplay could be a bit better but it's not too bad really. And man, there is a lot to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    IGN was really harsh on the Spidey preview but the youtubers who cover this game regularly seem more impressed, and I get the vibe that IGN was going to take a dump on Spidey no matter what the quality was actually like; there's a bad narrative around this game now that they seem to want to stick with. Must make good click bait.

Anyone expecting a full story mode and unique missions, or new enemies or whatever, was never gonna get what they want. This is exclusive to a single console, the devs were never going to drop a ton of effort into it due to that limitation. It's a crap situation since Spidey is such a popular, big name character but it is what it is, and this was never going to equal the glory of Insomniac's single player, dedicated Spidey games. But I bet if this weren't Spidey, if it were War Machine or Winter Soldier (and available to everyone), people would be applauding this kind of smaller scale release; less time and effort than a full DLC and we get a new character to try out. I suggested this sort of thing ages ago here and I suspect that CD will use this kind of launch again. Everyone is bitching about Spidey not being available for all consoles and how he deserves better than a small Event but I suspect it'll be successful anyway, people might bitch about how Spidey is being treated but they'll still log on when the 30th hits.

I'm hoping the changes coming up this week turn out well. The system tweaks look alright, though I worry how the stat changes on gear will affect my characters. I haven't played the game in a few months, but I'm glad they're giving me a reason to in a couple days.
    Pretty much. Granted, it's a disappointment in the first place to everyone who doesn't have PlayStation 4/5 that they can't play as Spider-Man alongside the Avengers, but that just goes to show that console-exclusive content might not be that good an idea, period, at least not if it affects the plot in any meaningful way, which is likely why Spider-Man doesn't have story-related content, since that would just make it worse for those who can't play as him because they don't have PlayStation. That said, I'm mostly in it to check out his costume(s), and I like what I've seen thus far.