I don't even know why Square throwing CD under the bus is newsworthy. They weren't happy with the game's revenue? No sh*t, we knew that a year ago. That's not news, it's just Square trying to avoid accountability and rubbing salt in the wound.

Anyway, the Spidey trailer looks....fine? Parker is properly quippy and the costume looks good (not great, but good). The movement and combat style seems right. But it's just a cinematic, what I really want to see is actual gameplay, and traversal more than anything else. I've no doubt Spidey will feel really good in combat, this game hasn't disappointed when it comes to that. But getting around the maps is something else entirely, and if Spidey only has Widow style grapple lines....that's not gonna cut it.

Honestly, I think Spidey is gonna end up a failure for this game, or at least he's not gonna change its fate one way or another. His PS exclusivity only serves to piss off two-thirds of the player base while putting this version of the character in direct competition with Insomniac's, and there's no way Avengers Spidey looks good in comparison. The exclusivity also means there's limited value in doing a full expansion story, so we end up with this halfassed measure of a Spidey-centric Event, and people already complain about not having enough variety or things to do in game.

This kind of Event-not-story character launch would be fine for lesser guys like Winter Soldier or Falcon, but for a name as big as Spider-Man, and it only being for PS players? I play on PS and even I'm kinda annoyed by it all.

I'm far more interested in the changes to the gear system than I am Spidey, honestly.

The complaints about monetization were overblown though. Nothing in game requires real money, and those XP boosters weren't a big deal. You can level a character pretty damn fast in the first place and it's not like the game has such a high skill requirement you're gonna out-level your ability to play correctly. I'm glad the boosters were taken out, and CD did break their promise to not include that sorta stuff, but people were acting like you had to drop real cash or you couldn't do anything and that was never the case.