Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566
Results 976 to 989 of 989
  1. #976
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    Yeah, Spidey looks as good as I expected (good, but not Insomniac good). This game always does well with combat, each character feels "right" and is distinctive from the others and Parker looks like a lot of fun without being a rehash of somebody else.

    The traversal seems to web onto an invisible ceiling, which isn't great, but that's better than the limited grapple lines that characters like Widow and Clint use. It's not ideal by any means but it's "good enough." I do hope the devs attempt to overhaul movement and map layout at some point in 2022, it's been a weak point for the game since the start (a relatively minor weak point but still). A little more verticality and grapple points in maps and/or a little more fluidity in character movements would be most welcome.

    I agree that exclusive characters don't seem to be a good business model anymore, but I wonder if this would have gone smoother if each platform had gotten one. Would people be bitching as much as they are if Xbox players were getting Wolverine tomorrow? That could be CD's approach; give each console an exclusive character we'd all rather be playing in a Insomniac solo game.

    In any case, I do hope we see hero Events more often, to expand the roster without the need of a full DLC. Just don't do it with characters as big and popular as Spidey; save this sort of small scale launch for characters like Spectrum, Moon Girl, or Winter Soldier.

    And the costumes do look good. I haven't seen one yet where I go "That's the one I need!" but they all look solid. Hell, I think the design sensibility has improved a lot across the board since launch. I wonder if we'll get MCU skins for Spidey? I'd say its a foregone conclusion for anyone else, but I don't know if the details on the Disney-Sony films deal would allow it? Disney+ doesn't stream the MCU Spidey movies so I dunno if this game can do MCU skins.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-29-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  2. #977
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,684

    Default

    While i'm all for console exclusive games, cause the games are the all point of buying a specific console over an another one and that's what make that console special and worth buying, to have exclusive characters for a game released on different platforms do sound like a weird idea.

    Now, i sure can appreciate the trolling aspect of it and for all their whining people in the end still are going to buy products from any companies, even ones they hate (i hate EA and still bought battlefront 2 like a bitch) but it's cold.

  3. #978
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, Spidey looks as good as I expected (good, but not Insomniac good). This game always does well with combat, each character feels "right" and is distinctive from the others and Parker looks like a lot of fun without being a rehash of somebody else.

    The traversal seems to web onto an invisible ceiling, which isn't great, but that's better than the limited grapple lines that characters like Widow and Clint use. It's not ideal by any means but it's "good enough." I do hope the devs attempt to overhaul movement and map layout at some point in 2022, it's been a weak point for the game since the start (a relatively minor weak point but still). A little more verticality and grapple points in maps and/or a little more fluidity in character movements would be most welcome.

    I agree that exclusive characters don't seem to be a good business model anymore, but I wonder if this would have gone smoother if each platform had gotten one. Would people be bitching as much as they are if Xbox players were getting Wolverine tomorrow? That could be CD's approach; give each console an exclusive character we'd all rather be playing in a Insomniac solo game.

    In any case, I do hope we see hero Events more often, to expand the roster without the need of a full DLC. Just don't do it with characters as big and popular as Spidey; save this sort of small scale launch for characters like Spectrum, Moon Girl, or Winter Soldier.

    And the costumes do look good. I haven't seen one yet where I go "That's the one I need!" but they all look solid. Hell, I think the design sensibility has improved a lot across the board since launch. I wonder if we'll get MCU skins for Spidey? I'd say its a foregone conclusion for anyone else, but I don't know if the details on the Disney-Sony films deal would allow it? Disney+ doesn't stream the MCU Spidey movies so I dunno if this game can do MCU skins.
    Excellent shade there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    While i'm all for console exclusive games, cause the games are the all point of buying a specific console over an another one and that's what make that console special and worth buying, to have exclusive characters for a game released on different platforms do sound like a weird idea.

    Now, i sure can appreciate the trolling aspect of it and for all their whining people in the end still are going to buy products from any companies, even ones they hate (i hate EA and still bought battlefront 2 like a bitch) but it's cold.
    Yeah, though there's only so much hate-buying/hate-playing will accomplish for the companies in question. Eventually, the hate outweighs the urge to buy/play, I'd believe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  4. #979
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Excellent shade there.
    Thanks, I was kinda proud of that comment myself.

    Played Spidey a bit; got him to level 25 or so. And I was right in my previous post; he's fun and feels unique but he's not at a Insomniac level of amazing. But he's closer than I thought he'd be. He's crazy mobile and quick, his web status effect allows for the best battlefield control in the game I think, and with the right "healing" talents in the skilltree he even makes a fairly decent support hero. He's got some good skins we didn't see in pre-release teasers, but no MCU skins (yet?) and I'm still looking for that "this is it!" skin that I'll run forever.

    Spidey's "event" is pretty simple; you get a mission chain that has you do various objectives like "perform X takedowns with your intrinsic meter" and "defeat X powerful foes (adaptoids, etc) and get evidence from them." Sometimes you have to talk to a new NPC in the Ant-Hill. I haven't finished the chain yet (it's pretty long) but it rewards the skin we saw in the cinematic trailer (his defacto skin is nearly the same, just less detailed). For a character as popular as Spidey it's a raw deal, but this would be perfect for less popular characters (as I had hoped).

    The gear system update seems like a improvement, though I've mostly only played (low level) Spidey and haven't really had the chance to dig around the new system to much. The ability to upgrade stuff is nice; we won't have to grind for that perfect piece of gear again, just burn resources to improve it. And somewhere around level 15 or 20, Spidey got a gear reward that was randomly improved to item level 140, which jacked up my item level average and now all of his gear is around that level. So I guess we level the character and gear at the same time. I like this, it allows me to get into higher level missions without having to grind out 50 levels for Spidey first, and lets me get into his hero specific sets faster. Not sure how that works in a team setting, since I only play solo, but it works nicely for that.

    I'm also enjoying the changes to vendors; they function like the guy in Wakanda, with four specific gear items for whoever you're playing as well as the random choices for the whole roster. Payloads seem easier to get, status effects aren't as limited so you can get damn near any effect for any hero.

    Sucks that Parker is a PS exclusive and therefore didn't provide new content but I feel like, once again, this game has made a small step in the right direction. I still worry that it's not improving fast enough, and Square talking sh*t about the game isn't helping their PR (do they want their investment to bust?) but the game is better now than it was a week ago and what else can we ask for?
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-04-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  5. #980
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Thanks, I was kinda proud of that comment myself.

    Played Spidey a bit; got him to level 25 or so. And I was right in my previous post; he's fun and feels unique but he's not at a Insomniac level of amazing. But he's closer than I thought he'd be. He's crazy mobile and quick, his web status effect allows for the best battlefield control in the game I think, and with the right "healing" talents in the skilltree he even makes a fairly decent support hero. He's got some good skins we didn't see in pre-release teasers, but no MCU skins (yet?) and I'm still looking for that "this is it!" skin that I'll run forever.

    Spidey's "event" is pretty simple; you get a mission chain that has you do various objectives like "perform X takedowns with your intrinsic meter" and "defeat X powerful foes (adaptoids, etc) and get evidence from them." Sometimes you have to talk to a new NPC in the Ant-Hill. I haven't finished the chain yet (it's pretty long) but it rewards the skin we saw in the cinematic trailer (his defacto skin is nearly the same, just less detailed). For a character as popular as Spidey it's a raw deal, but this would be perfect for less popular characters (as I had hoped).

    The gear system update seems like a improvement, though I've mostly only played (low level) Spidey and haven't really had the chance to dig around the new system to much. The ability to upgrade stuff is nice; we won't have to grind for that perfect piece of gear again, just burn resources to improve it. And somewhere around level 15 or 20, Spidey got a gear reward that was randomly improved to item level 140, which jacked up my item level average and now all of his gear is around that level. So I guess we level the character and gear at the same time. I like this, it allows me to get into higher level missions without having to grind out 50 levels for Spidey first, and lets me get into his hero specific sets faster. Not sure how that works in a team setting, since I only play solo, but it works nicely for that.

    I'm also enjoying the changes to vendors; they function like the guy in Wakanda, with four specific gear items for whoever you're playing as well as the random choices for the whole roster. Payloads seem easier to get, status effects aren't as limited so you can get damn near any effect for any hero.

    Sucks that Parker is a PS exclusive and therefore didn't provide new content but I feel like, once again, this game has made a small step in the right direction. I still worry that it's not improving fast enough, and Square talking sh*t about the game isn't helping their PR (do they want their investment to bust?) but the game is better now than it was a week ago and what else can we ask for?
    We could ask for a lot more, but yeah, one thing at a time. And true, Crystal Dynamics might have screwed up a fair bit with Avengers overall, but it is rather bad form for Square-Enix to openly dump on one of its own corporate subdivisions. Then again, no such thing as loyalty in the corporate world, especially if one fails to perform according to standard. All that said, I am glad Spider-Man plays well for the most part.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #981
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    We could ask for a lot more, but yeah, one thing at a time.
    Pretty much. I don't think this game has given us a bad update; everything they add makes the game a little bit better. Oh, except for that couple weeks where you could buy XP boosters from the marketplace, anyway. But that didn't last, and everything else seems to have been met with mostly positive response; the only major complaints seeming to be "this is great....but we want more."

    I just worry that the updates aren't coming fast enough or giving big enough improvements. The Wakanda DLC was impressive, and there was a window there, when the T'Challa hype was ripe, for more content and update drops that could have energized the player base and really moved this game towards a much healthier place. But they squandered the moment. I get that they wanted to give Wakanda its time in the sun and didn't want to detract from it, but it felt like a missed opportunity. Couple weeks after T'Challa hit, and everyone was bored again. But even so, the game is infinitely better and much more diverse than it was a year ago. And yeah, what else can we reasonably ask for?

    And true, Crystal Dynamics might have screwed up a fair bit with Avengers overall, but it is rather bad form for Square-Enix to openly dump on one of its own corporate subdivisions. Then again, no such thing as loyalty in the corporate world, especially if one fails to perform according to standard. All that said, I am glad Spider-Man plays well for the most part.
    It'd be understandable if Square wasn't earning revenue from the game too. I would understand (and expect) other game studios to dump on Avengers....but Square doing it? They cost themselves money and helped out their competition and for what? Just to distance themselves from a game few people associate with them in the first place? Square's name shows up on the loading screen but it's Crystal Dynamics everybody blames for Avengers' problems. This wasn't gonna damage sales on the next Final Fantasy or anything, so I really question what the f*ck Square was thinking.

    Sorry, just seems like bad business to me and I take that crap personally. Any business 101 student would know better than to publicly badmouth a project they're connected to. Hell, a freshman would know better than to do it privately, given how easily this sorta thing slips into the public field.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  7. #982
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much. I don't think this game has given us a bad update; everything they add makes the game a little bit better. Oh, except for that couple weeks where you could buy XP boosters from the marketplace, anyway. But that didn't last, and everything else seems to have been met with mostly positive response; the only major complaints seeming to be "this is great....but we want more."

    I just worry that the updates aren't coming fast enough or giving big enough improvements. The Wakanda DLC was impressive, and there was a window there, when the T'Challa hype was ripe, for more content and update drops that could have energized the player base and really moved this game towards a much healthier place. But they squandered the moment. I get that they wanted to give Wakanda its time in the sun and didn't want to detract from it, but it felt like a missed opportunity. Couple weeks after T'Challa hit, and everyone was bored again. But even so, the game is infinitely better and much more diverse than it was a year ago. And yeah, what else can we reasonably ask for?



    It'd be understandable if Square wasn't earning revenue from the game too. I would understand (and expect) other game studios to dump on Avengers....but Square doing it? They cost themselves money and helped out their competition and for what? Just to distance themselves from a game few people associate with them in the first place? Square's name shows up on the loading screen but it's Crystal Dynamics everybody blames for Avengers' problems. This wasn't gonna damage sales on the next Final Fantasy or anything, so I really question what the f*ck Square was thinking.

    Sorry, just seems like bad business to me and I take that crap personally. Any business 101 student would know better than to publicly badmouth a project they're connected to. Hell, a freshman would know better than to do it privately, given how easily this sorta thing slips into the public field.
    Generally cosigned. And speaking of War for Wakanda and With Great Power, I did like Spider-Man's cutscene interactions with Black Panther.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  8. #983
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    So one of the devs or someone reiterated the other day that 2022 has more Avengers content coming. They haven't given up on the game, contrary to some rumors out there.

    Hopefully they release a roadmap soon, for all of 2022. I think people would feel better about the game's future if they could look at the full schedule and see who and what is coming. Word is She-Hulk is next. Can't say I'm too excited for that, I want somebody with a totally new and different powerset; Ant-Man/Wasp or Wanda/Strange, maybe someone with a permanent combat ally/pet like Falcon or even Moon Girl.....the characters all play differently and feel unique but I wanna see the game push the boundaries and do a hero who is utterly different, with a totally new approach.

    Oh, and Thor finally got a new MCU skin. From the first Avengers movie. Suit looks good, and they have the movie Mjolnir, but they used the "young Thor" face and hair (no beard) so it's a hard pass for me. But they finally fixed the problem on the Endgame Thor skin where the little disks on his chest didn't light up when he uses his intrinsic, and that makes me happy.

    Hey, a while back I came across a rumor that we'll be getting new, hero-specific champion skills at some point. Things like Thor using Stormbreaker for certain (new) attacks, or Cap using Mjolnir for certain (new) attacks. Anyone else see this? It'd be pretty cool if true but it reeks of fan fiction to me.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-10-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  9. #984
    *🅱️𝓤𝓢𝓢𝓘𝓝* The Gold Stream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    341

    Default

    i'd like to play as Theo, I think he's an original game character so that's unlikely but portals would be a fun mechanic

    kate bishop's teleporting was implemented pretty well

  10. #985
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    Theo would be fun to play, I think. But if we're getting another teleporter I'd rather have America Chavez.

    So according to youtuber Sadot, this is the deal. Miller, a major leaker, says that CD got pissed off about how every big thing they do with the game gets leaked way early (with She-Hulk's voice actress seemingly confirming Shulk's next up being the latest example). So they decided to release a new character before Shulk just to screw with expectations. Miller claims to know who it is and left some clues....but one or more of them might be a false trail.

    He claims

    The character will be an "echo" which, I guess, is basically an established character with a new skin/VA and maybe a few tweaks to the playstyle. Kate and Clint are too different to be actual echoes of each other, I guess.

    The character is around "USAgent" levels of popularity.

    It will *not* be a Spider.

    It *will* be female.

    They have "interesting" hair.

    So what established characters have echoes? I'm assuming this part is legit, if any of it is. A copy/paste hero would be easy and fast to do, and CD probably doesn't think they'd require a lot of new content with their release.

    For Cap echoes we have USAgent, Red Guardian, and Captain Carter. I'm writing off USAgent since we have skins that are already really close to that costume. I'm also writing off Bucky and Falcon as potential echoes since neither of them match Cap's in-game movelist very well (and Bucky's rumored for a late 2022 release anyway). If Kate and Clint are too different to be echoes of each other, then no way do Sam or Bucky fit the bill as echoes of Cap.

    For Tony we have Iron Heart. Depending on how much they tweak the echo, maybe War Machine. Word is he was in development but got set aside for the moment, so *maybe* they just replace Tony's ranged options with Widow's guns and call it good? But if this is a Tony echo, it's probably Riri.

    For Thor it's Jane and Beta Ray Bill. Guys like Thunderstrike are too unknown to fit.

    For Hulk it's really just Red Hulk, since She-Hulk is still on the table and supposedly coming this year. But since Jenn is on her way I assume this echo won't be a Hulk at all.

    For Widow we have Yelena. But with bigger tweaks it could be nearly any gun user; Winter Soldier (except for his rumored release), Deadpool (I can't imagine that) or even someone like Blade or Nick Fury.

    For T'Challa we have Shuri (unlikely since she's a NPC) or White Tiger. Depending on how modified the echo is though, it could be Daredevil, or practically any unarmed martial artist, and that's a big list.

    For Spidey, if the "no Spiders" thing is false, we have Gwen...and Miles, if the "USAgent-level popularity" thing is false.

    For Kamala I can't think of anyone but Reed Richards and it's almost certainly not him.

    And I can't think of any echoes for either of the Hawkeyes.

    I'd assume this character will hit in the first quarter if CD plans on releasing four heroes this year. And one would think they've considered MCU releases to see if they can overlap, though I don't think that's in the cards; the only thing hitting theaters or D+ in the first quarter (that we know of) is Eternals coming to streaming later this month, and Love&Thunder at the start of Q2 so the marketing would be in full swing for Q1. An Eternal could fit the criteria Miller gave us, but I don't know if any of them are similar enough to the game's roster to work as an echo?

    I figure it'll be Yelena, JaneThor or Captain Carter. All of them match, roughly, the parameters Miller provided. If the echo is literally just a reskin, then it'll be Yelena since Jane and Peggy would both require feminine adjustments to the OG body frame. Plus that would build off the Red Room events and subplots already in the game. Nat's new MCU skin even has the braid, which could be a test run for Yelena as well.

    There was also a datamine (unrelated, far as I know) claiming that two new biomes; New England and Moon Base, are deep in development. But my guess is that these biomes, if real, tie into the Captain Marvel release we're rumored to get late in the year. Even if those locations made sense for a potential echo, it doesn't fit the narrative of this being a new decision made as a reaction to leakers, nor does it make sense that CD would throw a new skin on a character and call it "new" but then build a whole new biome for them.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-04-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  11. #986
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,314

    Default

    I'm having a lot of fun with this game. My main character is Iron Man and I've created a build dedicated to constantly using Hulkbuster

  12. #987
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I'm having a lot of fun with this game. My main character is Iron Man and I've created a build dedicated to constantly using Hulkbuster
    Has it improved?

  13. #988
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Has it improved?
    Considerably. It's still fashionable to bitch about this game, and it certainly still suffers from a lack of variety on a few different levels, but the game has made consistent additions and improvements for over a year now. There's a lot of fun to be had before things start to really feel redundant. I saw it on sale at Target for twenty bucks and it's easily worth that.

    Anyway, haven't heard anything about the mystery echo hero in a few weeks but last I heard, it had been narrowed down to either JaneThor, Yelena, or Shuri. I think the only way this *won't* be Yelena is if the hero is released at the same time Love & Thunder comes out, in which case JaneThor would be a great way to ride that hype train and get some eyes on the game. But otherwise it almost has to be Yelena, I think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  14. #989
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    6,256

    Default

    I just got this game at Walmart for 15 bucks. I am enjoying it. of course I am only a little ways into it. Where Kamala has to escape the sewers. I think the voice acting is well done and I am loving the Ms marvel character so far.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •