Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not trying to I think you might enjoy Clint's gameplay, he really does have some fun mechanics, but I don't think you'll enjoy his characterization. He's not straight up Hawkguy, but Fraction's run was clearly a big inspiration. Maybe you'd like their take on Clint, I don't know, but I think there's probably too much Fraction in it for you.
    His VA sounds kind of generic to me too, or like he's doing a Scott Porter impression.

I was kind of skeptical to begin with when they had Kate in there and introduced her first.

Ultimate Member

See, I don't think there's really a major problem with what's *in* the game. It's a little generic but it's still solid and fun (especially if you're a casual gamer like me, and you haven't played every Destiny or Far Cry or Assassins Creed). The problem is that there just isn't enough stuff in the game. Not enough missions, not enough villains, not enough maps, not enough factions to earn reputation with, and not enough variety among any of it. Each map is largely the same thing with a different dressing; you hunt down secondary objectives which are always either "kill this special thing, find this special thing, or rescue this special thing." And you finish the mission by fighting a boss (who often isn't an actual supervillain and is just some big random AIM mech)....then you do it all over again.

It's a lot of fun at first. But it doesn't take long for the monotony to set in. I think if you're a casual gamer who only plays a couple hours a week, it *might* be worthwhile, if you're a big Avengers fan. But it'd probably be wiser to wait for Wakanda to come out and see if the developers do anything to mix it up and make it less repetitive.
    So basically the game needs much more content in it than it has now.

I don't know if Wakanda can save it. As much as I want to play as BP, he really doesn't have the most interesting powers. I was interested in the crazier powers like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Vision, and even Quicksilver, while BP and even Captain Marvel seem a bit more like what we already have in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    His VA sounds kind of generic to me too, or like he's doing a Scott Porter impression.

I was kind of skeptical to begin with when they had Kate in there and introduced her first.
    Yeah, of all the heroes to bring in, Kate was a really weird choice for #1. I mean, either Hawkeye is a little weird, since that's not a big, attention grabbing IP like Captain Marvel or Black Panther, but Kate? There's story reasons for her showing up before Clint, but....yeah, it was weird. Of course, she was planned as the first new hero back when the dev team thought they'd be dropping one every month or two, so maybe they didn't consider it as big a deal. I mean, by this point in time we were supposed to have Kate, Clint, T'Challa, Spidey, and....War Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

I don't know if Wakanda can save it. As much as I want to play as BP, he really doesn't have the most interesting powers. I was interested in the crazier powers like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Vision, and even Quicksilver, while BP and even Captain Marvel seem a bit more like what we already have in the game.
    You might be surprised. I mean, you'd expect Clint and Kate to play almost identically right? They're both archers, both Hawkeyes, they both even use a sword in the game for a melee weapon. But their play styles seem as different as any other hero's. I was concerned about this too, with a lot of characters (Carol flies and shoots blasts, which is different from Tony flying and shooting rockets how?) but after seeing how the devs made both Kate and Clint stand out from the rest of the roster and each other, I'm far less worried about it.

And no, if I'm being realistic I doubt Wakanda will save the game. I expect, regarding new content, it'll essentially be a combination of Kate and Clint's new stuff; a story mission chain that'll take three to four hours instead of one or two, a new biome and new mission parameters, a new boss or two, and maybe a new status buff/debuff effect. Maybe a few other odds and ends. And that'll all be nice, but will it provide the variety this game needs to keep it from getting stale quickly? We're gonna need a lot more than one or two unique new maps, or a couple new supervillains, for the game to have much staying power.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, of all the heroes to bring in, Kate was a really weird choice for #1. I mean, either Hawkeye is a little weird, since that's not a big, attention grabbing IP like Captain Marvel or Black Panther, but Kate? There's story reasons for her showing up before Clint, but....yeah, it was weird. Of course, she was planned as the first new hero back when the dev team thought they'd be dropping one every month or two, so maybe they didn't consider it as big a deal. I mean, by this point in time we were supposed to have Kate, Clint, T'Challa, Spidey, and....War Machine?

You might be surprised. I mean, you'd expect Clint and Kate to play almost identically right? They're both archers, both Hawkeyes, they both even use a sword in the game for a melee weapon. But their play styles seem as different as any other hero's. I was concerned about this too, with a lot of characters (Carol flies and shoots blasts, which is different from Tony flying and shooting rockets how?) but after seeing how the devs made both Kate and Clint stand out from the rest of the roster and each other, I'm far less worried about it.

And no, if I'm being realistic I doubt Wakanda will save the game. I expect, regarding new content, it'll essentially be a combination of Kate and Clint's new stuff; a story mission chain that'll take three to four hours instead of one or two, a new biome and new mission parameters, a new boss or two, and maybe a new status buff/debuff effect. Maybe a few other odds and ends. And that'll all be nice, but will it provide the variety this game needs to keep it from getting stale quickly? We're gonna need a lot more than one or two unique new maps, or a couple new supervillains, for the game to have much staying power.
    You're right. They can make them different.

Honestly it's a bit disappointing how the Avengers are the biggest franchise in the movie world yet can't get a decent enough game

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Honestly it's a bit disappointing how the Avengers are the biggest franchise in the movie world yet can't get a decent enough game
    Crystal Dynamics could have had a good game here if it didn't go the loot route.

BP has access to weapons, gadgets and tech that alone should make him interesting, depending on what they lean into. He isnt simply a short range melee fighter

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Crystal Dynamics could have had a good game here if it didn't go the loot route.
    Which direction do you think they should go?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    BP has access to weapons, gadgets and tech that alone should make him interesting, depending on what they lean into. He isnt simply a short range melee fighter
    Ascended explained to me how he could be boosted so I think he can still be cool. I was just looking for more actual superpowers rather than BP's "gymnastics".

It really is. I had such high hopes for this game.

I mean, superheroes are still a hard pull for video games; there's a lot in the genre that doesn't easily translate to the gaming format, but with the advancements in gaming technology and a handful of good examples to build on (PS4 Spidey, Arkham, etc) you'd think a good superhero video game would be less rare than it is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

While others weren't, I was pretty happy for 4 years. Gazillion giveth, Gazillion taketh away.......

Ultimate Member

It really is. I had such high hopes for this game.

I mean, superheroes are still a hard pull for video games; there's a lot in the genre that doesn't easily translate to the gaming format, but with the advancements in gaming technology and a handful of good examples to build on (PS4 Spidey, Arkham, etc) you'd think a good superhero video game would be less rare than it is.
    I mean, Spider-Man got it done. It shouldn't be impossible for the Avengers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    While others weren't, I was pretty happy for 4 years. Gazillion giveth, Gazillion taketh away.......
    You referring to Marvel Heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I miss the hell out of that game. It was great

iMan 42s

Came here to see how Avengers was doing, left with the crushing disappointment remembering Marvel Heroes is no more. Gazillion deserved better than how the company went towards the end of Marvel heroes.

Was just thinking about that as well with how much fun it was running Winter Soldier, how easy it was to level, how every couple of levels you got a cool ability, and at this point I think I'm just describing a better game. The cows man, that cow level was great. Hell I remember for awhile you could make Hulk buster Iron man taller than the Hulk at max size which pissed them off but damnit I had a Kaiju in an Iron man suit.

I miss Marvel Heroes.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Ultimate Member

Is there any hope for this game?

Is there any hope for this game?
    ......Yes.......? Technically, yes, there's hope. We live in a world where it occasionally rains fish; anything is possible.

But it feels like a faint hope.

I think there *is* a good game in here somewhere, and with the right people making the right moves, that hidden quality game could be pulled into the light. It'll never make "best games ever!" lists or anything, and the foundational format of the game is gonna be generic no matter how shiny you make it, but I do think it wouldn't be the toughest thing in the world to get this game into a healthy, enjoyable place. We've seen bigger comebacks, after all.

But just because it's not impossible does not mean it's probable.

I think *IF* Wakanda brings in a bunch of new options, variety across the board, loads of additional all-levels content, and provides a damn compelling storyline (as well as a super-fun to play T'Challa) then the game still has a *chance* of getting on solid ground. If Crystal Dynamics can make the Black Panther a stand-out playing experience and bring in enough stuff to keep players engaged for more than ten minutes....then they've bought themselves some time, and if they can then keep that momentum and expansion going it's "possible" the game could recover.

But that's asking for a lot, and all of those things would have to not only resonate positively within the community, but be appealing enough to bring new players in. And even if all of that somehow happens? You've only succeeded in keeping the game alive in the short-term, until the next DLC releases (which can't be months and months later), when you'll have to do it all over again, and just as perfectly. And then again after that. There was a lot of hype behind this game before it came out, and the backlash of it's poor launch was pretty severe. Gamers aren't the most forgiving group of people around, it's gonna take a lot of effort to earn their goodwill again.

~ Black Panther.