Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I understand that. I just think when creating a game based on a comic with different levels of heroes, at some point they should accept some heroes will do things better than others. But I realize it can't always be easy
    It is weird, but it's a necessary evil. Heroes like Cap and Widow have to be able to reach the same points on the map, defeat the same enemies, and keep up with the guys like Thor, Tony, and Banner. So while you do see differences in each hero and what kind of playstyle they gravitate towards and what they're naturally built for, they also have to be capable of performing at roughly the same level too.

So you're not gonna be ripping buildings apart as Hulk, while struggling to defeat a single robot as Clint. If that were the case nobody would play the low power guys. But I think, within this built-in equalization, everyone still feels like they should.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It is weird, but it's a necessary evil. Heroes like Cap and Widow have to be able to reach the same points on the map, defeat the same enemies, and keep up with the guys like Thor, Tony, and Banner. So while you do see differences in each hero and what kind of playstyle they gravitate towards and what they're naturally built for, they also have to be capable of performing at roughly the same level too.

So you're not gonna be ripping buildings apart as Hulk, while struggling to defeat a single robot as Clint. If that were the case nobody would play the low power guys. But I think, within this built-in equalization, everyone still feels like they should.
    The solution to that could be to give more variety in missions. Not every mission may or should need massive attack power. It could be a stealth mission, or a street-level mission where using extreme power is actually detrimental.

The solution to that could be to give more variety in missions. Not every mission may or should need massive attack power. It could be a stealth mission, or a street-level mission where using extreme power is actually detrimental.
    If this had been a solo game I feel like we might've gotten something like that, with levels designed specifically for a particular hero. But as it is, you gotta be able to team up with other people, playing who knows which hero.

I never do co-op in this game; I just grab a bunch of AI companions and run solo. So I'd be totally cool with specific, solo levels designed for a particular character. Indeed, I think we need some stuff like this; the part of the main campaign where Iron Man flies into space was pretty cool, and I'd be down with a level where, I dunno, Cap rides a motorcycle through a enemy camp or something. Something like that could give us the accurate power scale you're looking for, but as long as missions are designed for multi-player and the entire hero roster is open for each mission it's not gonna happen. And since solo play isn't this game's focus at all, I doubt we'll ever see this.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

If this had been a solo game I feel like we might've gotten something like that, with levels designed specifically for a particular hero. But as it is, you gotta be able to team up with other people, playing who knows which hero.

I never do co-op in this game; I just grab a bunch of AI companions and run solo. So I'd be totally cool with specific, solo levels designed for a particular character. Indeed, I think we need some stuff like this; the part of the main campaign where Iron Man flies into space was pretty cool, and I'd be down with a level where, I dunno, Cap rides a motorcycle through a enemy camp or something. Something like that could give us the accurate power scale you're looking for, but as long as missions are designed for multi-player and the entire hero roster is open for each mission it's not gonna happen. And since solo play isn't this game's focus at all, I doubt we'll ever see this.
    interesting ideas. I think an ideal Avengers game would have both solo and co-op missions. Or, teams in certain missions would only use characters of similar power levels, such as Captain America, Winter Soldier, Black Panther or US Agent (theoretically)

They do have iconic missions for heroes in the game. Specifically to them.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They do have iconic missions for heroes in the game. Specifically to them.
    Yeah, but they're generally just like any other level, with the same kind of objectives, map layout, bad guys and whatever. And although those levels will auto-select the relevant character you can still pick someone else to run through them with.

What I'm talking about are levels you couldn't play with anyone else, and that lean heavily into the specific character's strengths. Give Tony a flying mission where he, I dunno, fights a bunch of AIM jets in a big dog fight before going after Fin Fang Foom or something (no land at all in sight, no option to play Thor or anyone else). Give Cap a level where he's on his motorcycle and you have to break through walls (at 120 mph) with his shield. Stuff like that; completely different map layouts, objectives, etc., rather than just a regular map with regular things where the in-story mission just focuses on one particular hero.

Don't get me wrong, I like that we have these missions for Widow and Cap and Hulk and Thor (none for Tony, it seems?) but this goes back to the "maps and missions don't have enough variety" discussion, and I figure a few missions built specifically for a individual hero, and build totally unique objectives, map layouts, etc., around that, would be a good way to shake things up a bit.

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, but they're generally just like any other level, with the same kind of objectives, map layout, bad guys and whatever. And although those levels will auto-select the relevant character you can still pick someone else to run through them with.

What I'm talking about are levels you couldn't play with anyone else, and that lean heavily into the specific character's strengths. Give Tony a flying mission where he, I dunno, fights a bunch of AIM jets in a big dog fight before going after Fin Fang Foom or something (no land at all in sight, no option to play Thor or anyone else). Give Cap a level where he's on his motorcycle and you have to break through walls (at 120 mph) with his shield. Stuff like that; completely different map layouts, objectives, etc., rather than just a regular map with regular things where the in-story mission just focuses on one particular hero.

Don't get me wrong, I like that we have these missions for Widow and Cap and Hulk and Thor (none for Tony, it seems?) but this goes back to the "maps and missions don't have enough variety" discussion, and I figure a few missions built specifically for a individual hero, and build totally unique objectives, map layouts, etc., around that, would be a good way to shake things up a bit.
    Tony's is just random objective check lists for some reason. I don't think the lack of different game environment has to do with single or multiplayer. They just banked on the AIM stuff too much. And we won't get a change in that until later this year with the Wakanda stuff. Covid having a little bit of an impact in that.

Tony's is just random objective check lists for some reason. I don't think the lack of different game environment has to do with single or multiplayer. They just banked on the AIM stuff too much. And we won't get a change in that until later this year with the Wakanda stuff. Covid having a little bit of an impact in that.
    Yeah you'd think Tony would have a "rebuild my company/fortune" subplot or something, right? Maybe that's something the devs plan to release later. I don't think they wrapped up Thor's Loki/cult story either, so maybe there's a upcoming wave of subplot missions.

And I think there's a lot of possible reasons we don't have more diverse environments. Too little budget, or time, or imagination, or technical limitations, or legal barriers, or skill, or who knows what. I'm not a programmer, I didn't work on this game, I'm just talking out of my ass. But I figure the fact that every hero had to be able to access each map and reach it's objectives had a hand in it too. In a game who's main purpose is to go multi-player with a diverse available roster, everyone's gotta be able to do everything, and that's a limitation. In a solo game that wouldn't be as much of an issue, the mission would only be open to qualifying characters. This game could do that, and maybe it should, but the idea goes against the open roster format. Hell, a future update will let us use the same character on a team multiple times so maybe they're headed in this direction anyway, and we'll get more specialized missions in the future.

I'm just saying, the moment in the campaign when Tony flies into outer space was cool as hell, as good as a MCU film, and it's a damn shame we don't have more content like that in post-campaign missions.

~ Black Panther.

Yeah you'd think Tony would have a "rebuild my company/fortune" subplot or something, right? Maybe that's something the devs plan to release later. I don't think they wrapped up Thor's Loki/cult story either, so maybe there's a upcoming wave of subplot missions.

And I think there's a lot of possible reasons we don't have more diverse environments. Too little budget, or time, or imagination, or technical limitations, or legal barriers, or skill, or who knows what. I'm not a programmer, I didn't work on this game, I'm just talking out of my ass. But I figure the fact that every hero had to be able to access each map and reach it's objectives had a hand in it too. In a game who's main purpose is to go multi-player with a diverse available roster, everyone's gotta be able to do everything, and that's a limitation. In a solo game that wouldn't be as much of an issue, the mission would only be open to qualifying characters. This game could do that, and maybe it should, but the idea goes against the open roster format. Hell, a future update will let us use the same character on a team multiple times so maybe they're headed in this direction anyway, and we'll get more specialized missions in the future.

I'm just saying, the moment in the campaign when Tony flies into outer space was cool as hell, as good as a MCU film, and it's a damn shame we don't have more content like that in post-campaign missions.
    It's hard to believe budget was a part when they had all those big company cross-promotions and CD is a branch of Square. Every character reaching and accessing things wasn't something they even addressed until after launch. So that was after the environments were already made. You could literally not get into some treasure rooms in single player until they fixed it.

I hope we can use more of the same character outside of tachyon rifts.

Maybe they'll create more of those type of story missions later. It seems like the Wakanda stuff is coming with a lot of different things.

I think the biggest issue with the game is not single player or multiplayer (there are plenty of multiplayer games out there better made). It's that they released it a year too early.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 04-11-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Maybe they should have missions where you play as a scientist/engineer, like Tony, Bruce or Hank, and use your powers and intelligence to design new tech. It can be a minigame where you use your thinking skills, and then use it to acquire new upgrades

It's hard to believe budget was a part when they had all those big company cross-promotions and CD is a branch of Square. Every character reaching and accessing things wasn't something they even addressed until after launch. So that was after the environments were already made. You could literally not get into some treasure rooms in single player until they fixed it.
    No I doubt budget was a problem, but I don't *know* that, I'm just assuming. Just like I'm assuming a lot about how this game was made and why the problems it has happened.

And there was the issue with some treasure rooms being locked, but the overall map and objectives still have to be achievable by everyone.

I hope we can use more of the same character outside of tachyon rifts.
    Wait that update is only for tachyon rifts? Oh that sucks, I thought it was across the board.

Maybe they'll create more of those type of story missions later. It seems like the Wakanda stuff is coming with a lot of different things.
    I hope so. I think that DLC is the game's make or break moment; if they don't knock it out of the park the game's chances of survival seem impossibly low.

I think the biggest issue with the game is not single player or multiplayer (there are plenty of multiplayer games out there better made). It's that they released it a year too early.
    Totally agreed. Without doubt the pandemic put a major hurt on the final steps of development and polish, and it probably would've needed more time even without that complication.

I take solace in the fact that this wasn't the only game that stumbled out of launch; Cyberpunk had a lot more hype and, I think, an even worse launch. I'm just happy Final Fantasy 7 Remake came out so well, that was the game I was most looking forward to in 2020.

~ Black Panther.

So I finally finished the big Clint-specific mission stuff and got the new major artifact; the....void touched mechanism, or whatever it's called.

Let me say that this mission chain sucks. You have to play through Clint's storyline, which is fine, that's good and a lot of fun. Then you have to do these random objectives, the worst one being 75 takedowns in the Wastelands. That took a while. Still not *that* bad, just repetitive.

Then....I don't even know, you gotta run two Maestro themed villain sectors. And I'm glad we have new villain sectors but waiting for both of them to cycle up....not great for a impatient man like me.

Then you gotta take down all the villain sector villains; Taskmaster, Abomination, the AIM tank and plane mechs.....and then Maestro *again.* So more waiting for missions to cycle up. Wasn't too damned thrilled at more delays.

But I finally got it all done and the artifact makes up for the effort.

It summons Hank Pym. Who kicks ass with you and your team. Probably means that the Ant-Man we get as a playable character won't be Hank (be kinda weird for Hank to have a artifact that summons himself) but it's pretty neat, and I like that you earn it running Clint's content; reminds me of that famous "ant arrow" cover and the remake from Cvil War; "let's go arrow guy!"

~ Black Panther.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

that superior iron man skin was just a recolor "based" off of superior iron man, not any diff textures or what not

Ultimate Member

It summons Hank Pym. Who kicks ass with you and your team. Probably means that the Ant-Man we get as a playable character won't be Hank (be kinda weird for Hank to have a artifact that summons himself) but it's pretty neat, and I like that you earn it running Clint's content; reminds me of that famous "ant arrow" cover and the remake from Cvil War; "let's go arrow guy!"
    Maybe Hank could summon Scott.

Maybe Hank could summon Scott.
    Still wouldn't work.

I could play Hank/Ant-Man (Hank-Man?) and that artifact would have its cosmetic changed to summon Scott instead of Hank. Okay. Extra coding for the devs to change the visual of this thing just for Hank (if they can even do that?), but okay.

But then you could play Clint in my group, use the same trinket, which would summon Hank. Who I'm currently playing.

The devs could re-code the thing to use Scott if Hank ends up being Ant-Man, but that seems like a big waste of resources considering it's just one artifact, and a hero we can't even play yet, and have no idea if or when we will.

Still think they're gonna use Scott for Ant-Man, if the game makes it that far. He's the MCU Ant-Man, the beloved, bumbling, hard luck hero who coined the term "America's ass" and Hank's the guy who hit his wife and built Ultron. I hate how those two things have totally defined Hank (not that he deserves a free pass for the Janet thing) but that's how it is. If we get an Ant-Man at all, it'll be Scott.

Anyway, has anyone played the new tachyon stuff? I haven't had the time. I'm disappointed that it's only for multiplayer, and only for specific missions. And is it only for a limited time? I think it is? Since I greatly prefer solo play, it's of no use to me (and I was looking forward to a Iron Man/War Machine team up by mixing skins). But it came out much sooner than I expected, which is cool. And I like that there's new objectives and animated name plates to go along with it.

I'm also feeling the team costumes on the marketplace. Haven't bought any, but I like the idea.

~ Black Panther.