Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    99

    Default 90s mullet Superman

    what did you guys think of his design and stories?

  2. #2
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,102

    Default

    Some really solid stories from that era, but the mullet was a no-go even back then.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,944

    Default

    I didn't mind it when it was drawn right. It just wasn't drawn right often. But the stories from that time are great. Lots of good stuff after Reign.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,725

    Default

    I loved Reign of the Superman, but IMO, the Superman comics went right down the pan straight after that. I made it as far as Trial of Superman or Death of Clark Kent (whichever was second) and then gave up on them.

    I didn't mind the hair at the time, but I look back now and cringe.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    I've grown to appreciate Mullet Superman, lol.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Mullet Superman was really my first Superman. I started reading around Death/Reign/Return and that was the run that got me hooked. In fact, to this day Adventures of Superman 505 is my favorite Superman cover and Tom Grummett's take is like the default version of Superman in my head.



    I even had Tom Grummett do a commission of mullet Superman a few years ago at a con.

    IMG_1622.jpg

  7. #7
    Incredible Member kingaliencracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    886

    Default

    My take is when he first showed up with the long hair was "oh, he has long hair. Well that'll be gone by the end of Reign". And then he was back in his original costume with the long hair I was like "well he'll definitely cut it after he goes home to Lois". Then she said she liked the hair and then Clark was found also with long hair. I guess my reaction was more "why?" than anything else. It just seemed really cheesy to me and didn't really make sense with the Clark/Superman dynamic.

  8. #8
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,010

    Default

    It more so fit Clark, who was both more commonly aloof and diligent in portrayal. But it did work well as an extension of the idea of Superman's forelock: his 'S' curly hair would get disheveled to convey action, an important thing with static pictures. In a lot of rescue missions it seems like he would end up with his hair a mess or straight down from being soaked.

    Personally I really prefer shorter hair and when I go through back issues, sometimes I think my perception would be improved if he looked regular. But 93-96 had plenty of really good comics. And there's something kinda funny about watching a guy with sweet, bouncy Fabio locks beat up the Hulk or something like that.

    Bog was always my favorite, and Frenz drew it well. Of course when Kane and Garcia Lopez came back it was pretty much impossible for them to draw a bad Superman. I like how Dwyer and Grummett would pull the ponytail so straight back that his hair looked short from the front.



    There are some great contrasts between Clark and Superman that many artists were able to pull. Main artists. Appearances in other books tended to play up the short sides too much.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Mullet Superman was really my first Superman. I started reading around Death/Reign/Return and that was the run that got me hooked. In fact, to this day Adventures of Superman 505 is my favorite Superman cover and Tom Grummett's take is like the default version of Superman in my head.



    I even had Tom Grummett do a commission of mullet Superman a few years ago at a con.

    IMG_1622.jpg
    It wasn'treally a mullet, just long hair. Grummet drew it best.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Dammit! I stand corrected. I've been in absolute denial. It was a mullet! @#@Y$&&%^@&!*!((!!!!

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    Freaking amazing, I loved it lol. But I also think the Electric Blue look is extremely cool looking so I know my opinions of that era aren’t popular!

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,944

    Default

    Grummett's take isn't a mullet, in my opinion. It's shorter in the front than the back, but still not short in of itself and not substantially so on the sides. That doesn't qualify as a mullet to me. It has to genuinely be short-short in the front and sides then long in the back. And sometimes it was drawn like that. But I don't think Grummett, Jurgens, or Bogs off the top of my head drew it that way.

    But that's me, a product of the late 80s and early 90s. I think the term has taken on a life of its own in later eras to the point that anything outside of uniform length on all sides of a man's long hairdo is called a mullet. I just don't like that definition, lol.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  13. #13
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    59

    Default


  14. #14
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Grummett's take isn't a mullet, in my opinion. It's shorter in the front than the back, but still not short in of itself and not substantially so on the sides. That doesn't qualify as a mullet to me. It has to genuinely be short-short in the front and sides then long in the back. And sometimes it was drawn like that. But I don't think Grummett, Jurgens, or Bogs off the top of my head drew it that way.

    But that's me, a product of the late 80s and early 90s. I think the term has taken on a life of its own in later eras to the point that anything outside of uniform length on all sides of a man's long hairdo is called a mullet. I just don't like that definition, lol.

    Exactly. There's a big difference between Kevin Sorbo's hair in "Hercules" (which I thought was much like Superman's hair back then, at least by Jurgens/Grummet/Bog) and, say, Billie Ray Cyrus's hair from the same time, or Joe Dirt. The closest comparison that is called a mullet would likely be John Stamos / Uncle Jessie from "Full House," but I think even that is pushing the boundaries of the definition.

    A few artists absolutely did draw it as a mullet - but for many, it wasn't just longer in the back, it was longer all over.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

  15. #15
    Incredible Member kingaliencracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Exactly. There's a big difference between Kevin Sorbo's hair in "Hercules" (which I thought was much like Superman's hair back then, at least by Jurgens/Grummet/Bog) and, say, Billie Ray Cyrus's hair from the same time, or Joe Dirt. The closest comparison that is called a mullet would likely be John Stamos / Uncle Jessie from "Full House," but I think even that is pushing the boundaries of the definition.

    A few artists absolutely did draw it as a mullet - but for many, it wasn't just longer in the back, it was longer all over.
    I would venture to guess the artists who drew it as a mullet did so to try and hide the fact that Superman's hair was long but unintentionally made it a worse situation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •