Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

The defining feature of Superman's hair is his spit curl, which is in the shape of an S. Apologies to George Reeves, but Superman has a spit curl, Clark Kent does not. So it's hard to draw Superman with a spit curl and long hair, without the hair in the front looking shorter than the hair in the back--that's why people think it's a mullet.

Personally I like this style of cut. Maybe the problem is the word mullet, since it seems to have taken on a negative sense. Perhaps camaro, hockey hair or a Canadian passport have a better connotation.

A lot of my favourite recording stars have had a camaro cut at one time or another--Neil Diamond, Paul McCartney, Suzi Quatro, David Cassidy. The Guess Who wore their Canadian passports proudly in the late '60s. Derek Sanderson had great hockey hair when he played for the Bruins in the '70s--I used to marvel at it, watching "Hockey Night in Canada" with my dad and brother.

The period in which Superman had the long hair maybe wasn't the best time for him as a character. Things got worse for him when he went electric. So I'm guessing some fans associate the Kentucky waterfall with a drop in quality.

And what about Nightwing? It seems like he never has had to pay for his nickelback the way Superman has.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I would venture to guess the artists who drew it as a mullet did so to try and hide the fact that Superman's hair was long but unintentionally made it a worse situation.
    It's funny you say that - I agree. Or that they didn't want to draw Superman differently, so they just took existing drawings and added hair to the back - hence the mullet look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The defining feature of Superman's hair is his spit curl, which is in the shape of an S. Apologies to George Reeves, but Superman has a spit curl, Clark Kent does not. So it's hard to draw Superman with a spit curl and long hair, without the hair in the front looking shorter than the hair in the back--that's why people think it's a mullet.
    A bit - but what artists like Jurgens did was make the spitcurl larger/longer. But it's also down to artist preference, too - if they don't like the long hair, it's easier to (as I just wrote above) to draw standard Superman and add hair - which I think Juice did, iirc.

Personally I like this style of cut. Maybe the problem is the word mullet, since it seems to have taken on a negative sense. Perhaps camaro, hockey hair or a Canadian passport have a better connotation.

A lot of my favourite recording stars have had a camaro cut at one time or another--Neil Diamond, Paul McCartney, Suzi Quatro, David Cassidy. The Guess Who wore their Canadian passports proudly in the late '60s. Derek Sanderson had great hockey hair when he played for the Bruins in the '70s--I used to marvel at it, watching "Hockey Night in Canada" with my dad and brother.

The period in which Superman had the long hair maybe wasn't the best time for him as a character. Things got worse for him when he went electric. So I'm guessing some fans associate the Kentucky waterfall with a drop in quality.

And what about Nightwing? It seems like he never has had to pay for his nickelback the way Superman has.
    For me, it's just that it's a mislabel. If it was supposed to be a mullet, then fine. But (at least by my preferred artists) it's not.

As for Nightwing, I think he escaped ridicule because Superman's higher profile. So that's another thing Superman saved him from. LOL
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm a fan of the long hair on him. And give me bearded Aquaman while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Freaking amazing, I loved it lol. But I also think the Electric Blue look is extremely cool looking so I know my opinions of that era aren’t popular!
    Ya know, I loove the look of Superman Blue, one of my favorite costumes for him. I didn't realize it was so hated until I started coming on comic forums haha. I've only ever seen it in the JLA run from the time, but I thought it was fun.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I liked everything about the electric blue era except the actual Blue powers. They seemed to have no idea how to give them a good hook. Also it just went too long for how they pulled off the split and vague merge
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES