Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2019: Worst summer movie season ever???

It's been obvious that Disney is the 800-pound movie studio gorilla that will only get bigger once they start producing movies under the Fox banner rather than just distributing their leftovers as they're doing now.

However, that doesn't mean that the other movie studios need to roll over and play dead. Yet, it seems that that's exactly what's happening this summer.

For example, after Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which was released on May 31, Warner Bros. does not have any other movie on the docket until August 14!

They are releasing some lower budgeted stuff on their New Line label like Shaft and Anabelle, but Warner proper is completely sitting out the months of June and July -- ordinarily some of the biggest months of the year. That's completely insane and just goes to show how slim the pickings are in Hollywood in terms of non-Disney blockbusters. Warners is the #2 movie studio behind Disney, and I'm really shocked that they've abandoned the summer completely.

Here's the Summer schedule for 2019:

JUNE 14: Men in Black Internaional (Sony), Shaft (New Line)

JUNE 21: Toy Story 4 (Disney), Child's Play (United Artists), Anna (Lionsgate)

JUNE 28: Annabelle Comes Home (June 26, New Line), Yesterday (Universal)

JULY 3: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony, Marvel Studios)

JULY 12: Crawl (Paramount), Stuber (Fox)

JULY 19: Lion King (Disney)

JULY 26: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood from Quentin Tarantino (Sony), The Boy 2 (STX)

AUGUST 2: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Universal)

AUGUST 9: Dora and the Lost City of Gold (Paramount), The Kitchen (New Line), Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Lionsgate), The Art of Racing in the Rain (Fox)

AUGUST 16: The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Aug 14, Sony), Blinded By the Light (Aug 14, Warner Bros), 47 Meters Down: Uncaged (Entertainment Studios), Good Boys (Universal), The Informer (Aviron), Where'd You Go, Bernadette (United Artists)

AUGUST 23: Angel has Fallen (Lionsgate), My Spy (STX), Overcomer (Sony), Ready or Not (Fox Searchlight)

AUGUST 30: PLAYMOBIL: The Movie (STX)

Jee-sus! What a shitty Summer!

I even had to add the wide releases of smaller distributors just to pad out the schedule. There's really not a ton of stuff there. Just a bunch of sequels, brand extensions, remakes, and lots of horror flicks. I don't see any fresh IP that has blockbuster potential.

I hope when Disney does start producing movies under the Fox banner, we get some new ideas at the cinema because even Disney's stuff, which is assured to bring great box office, is just a bunch of retreads.

I know people seem to be excited for some reason that Disney owns everything now, but the result is that the other studios are hiding in their shells and aren't taking any risks or are just sitting out the season altogether.

Anyone here actually excited for this Summer? I don't think I'm going to see any of these at the theater, and only a few when they arrive on Blu-Ray.

What does your Summer Movie viewing schedule look like?

I think my summer movie viewing is already over. A few years ago I might have gone to see something like Anna, or even Hobbs & Shaw... But it gets released so quick now on digital it's tough to get the urge to see these at the theater.

Genuinely looking forward to Spider-Man Far From Home, Toy Story 4, Lion King, & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

My Schlock love is interested in Hobbs and Shaw & Angel has Fallen.

Slightly interested in Men in Black International as a fan of the franchise but will probably wait till on streaming.

I'm liking the summer, and looking forward to a bunch of movies still to come. Xmen is the only thing so far that's in my wheel house that I passed on. And even that ima see as long as it doesnt drop from my theater by the end of the month.

Ultimate Member

It's not a shitty summer to me.

Just that some movies haven't really delivered quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Genuinely looking forward to Spider-Man Far From Home, Toy Story 4, Lion King, & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
    Pretty much the same as me except I'd add Child's Play to my list. Never thought I'd want to hear anyone but Brad Dourif voice Chucky, but if anyone is gonna do it then I'm happy it's Mark Hamill.

I'll check out MiB International at some point too, but like you I'll probably wait 'til I can stream it.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

I'm only interested by Toy Story.

But well, your shitty summer is the dream summer of someone else i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    Pretty much the same as me except I'd add Child's Play to my list. Never thought I'd want to hear anyone but Brad Dourif voice Chucky, but if anyone is gonna do it then I'm happy it's Mark Hamill.

I'll check out MiB International at some point too, but like you I'll probably wait 'til I can stream it.
    Oh yeah forgot about Child's Play that for me falls under my love of schlock list and love of Aubrey Plaza
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-11-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Astonishing Member

2017's summer had a lot of stinkers in there as well. So many franchise killers like Transformers The Last Knight, The Mummy, King Arthur, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Cars 4, Pirates, etc.

I think 2020 will even be worse for box office grosses. There won't be an Avengers in the summer, no Toy Story, no Spider-Man, no Lion King. Grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    It's been obvious that Disney is the 800-pound movie studio gorilla that will only get bigger once they start producing movies under the Fox banner rather than just distributing their leftovers as they're doing now.

However, that doesn't mean that the other movie studios need to roll over and play dead. Yet, it seems that that's exactly what's happening this summer.

For example, after Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which was released on May 31, Warner Bros. does not have any other movie on the docket until August 14!
    To be fair, it seems WB is getting creamed with KoTM domestically. Which is a sad shame, easily this most fun I've had in the theater this year and also easily my movie of the year. It really deserves to do better than it's doing. Like, a lot, lot better than it's doing.

Here's the Summer schedule for 2019:

JUNE 14: Men in Black Internaional (Sony)

JUNE 21: Toy Story 4 (Disney), Child's Play (United Artists)

JULY 3: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony, Marvel Studios)

JULY 19: Lion King (Disney)

Jee-sus! What a shitty Summer!
    Admittedly I don't care for the Disney remakes, but a ton of people do! And we're getting a Spider-Man movie, a MiB movie, a Toy Story movie, a Jurassic World short film in front of Hobbs & Shaw, and we had one of the most freaking awesome Godzilla movies ever (despite what a bunch of critics say on RT, check the audience scores man!)! That's a shitty summer to you? What does a good summer look like then?

I even had to add the wide releases of smaller distributors just to pad out the schedule. There's really not a ton of stuff there. Just a bunch of sequels, brand extensions, remakes, and lots of horror flicks. I don't see any fresh IP that has blockbuster potential.

I hope when Disney does start producing movies under the Fox banner, we get some new ideas at the cinema because even Disney's stuff, which is assured to bring great box office, is just a bunch of retreads.
    Meh, fresh IPs and "new ideas" largely bore me or fail to get my interest, unless there's something really special about them. And usually since they're such wildcards it's safer to save my money on proven properties I know I'll be entertained by and catch everything else when it comes out on TV. Just because everything's a "retread" (prequels, sequels, remakes, reboots, spin offs etc.) doesn't make them bad. I'll take a Jurassic Park sequel or Star Wars prequel or a Batman spinoff any day of the week over some unknown "original" idea I can catch during a free HBO preview weekend via my satellite provider.

And what's wrong with horror flicks?

I know people seem to be excited for some reason that Disney owns everything now,
    I think that's mostly just because you're on a comic book forum and comic fans are excited that now almost all Marvel properties can be part of the MCU finally. They couldn't care less about whatever else the Mouse owns, but MCU Fantastic Four!

Anyone here actually excited for this Summer?

What does your Summer Movie viewing schedule look like?
    I was excited for Godzilla (and lord was it great! But you know, I can't say I'm excited for something I've now seen. But wow was that a fun time for me). BrightBurn was a pretty neat horror film. I'm definitely catching Spider-Man (okay so I'm an MCU-sheep like the rest of the GA, so what). Child's Play actually looks surprisingly good, like a return to form after a few, well...let's not talk about Bride or Seed of Chucky. Crawl seems like a pretty good creature feature right now. Might check out word of mouth though. Despite not watching the Fast and Furious movies, I'll probably just check out Hobbs and Shaw for that JW short (need my dino action after all). And I might not watch it in theaters, but the Dora movie definitely looks like a probable Blu-ray pick up for me. So yeah, not a bad summer line up for me.

Besides, summer is too crowded. I blame that partially on why a good Godzilla movie is flopping. Heck, even other movies seem to be flopping right now too that're usually safe bets (I think people viewed Endgame in theaters so much they're all just theatered out for a while sadly, that movie really sucked all the air out of the room). We don't need every big movie to be a summer blockbuster, spreading them out over the year is just better I believe.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 06-11-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    To be fair, it seems WB is getting creamed with KoTM domestically. Which is a sad shame, easily this most fun I've had in the theater this year and also easily my movie of the year. It really deserves to do better than it's doing. Like, a lot, lot better than it's doing.
    I would agree with you except for Endgame. Then KoTM would be second for me. My wife and I left the theaters fully entertained. Best Godzilla movie in decades.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor