Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This summer has been certainly bad moviewise for me but I happened to be fighting some sickness even when somewhat (Dark Phoenix) or totally (Godzilla II) enjoying watching them. Went to watch on lower attendance days to boot. Disney movies are part of the landscape for me until at least the new Malleficent.

When in doubt I resort to horror to bail me out. I expect even less from Child's Play than Dark Phoenix (but open to be surprised) and I expect Annabelle Comes Home to do the business. But my personal hope is Sam Raimi and Alexandre Aja's Crawl to be good enough to become a sleeper.

The first movie Glenn Danzig has directed just debuted.

Contrary to whatever this thread is on about, there is no conceivable amount of "Con" that can hope to even get close to outweighing that "Pro".

So, yeah. Thread's based on a completely false(or maybe just blissfully unaware) premise.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The first movie Glenn Danzig has directed just debuted.

Contrary to whatever this thread is on about, there is no conceivable amount of "Con" that can hope to even get close to outweighing that "Pro".

So, yeah. Thread's based on a completely false(or maybe just blissfully unaware) premise.
    Who the hell is Glenn Danzig and what did she direct?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Who the hell is Glenn Danzig and what did she direct?
    This is exactly what I am talking about.

While I'm not trying to knock folks too hard, some of this thread does feel very "I have an eye patch over one eye and got socked in the other, but let me tell you about what I see."

While it's not exactly going to be a banner year from a "Gettin' Paid In Full..." standpoint, their is some pretty singular stuff happening.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-15-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This is exactly what I am talking about.

While I'm not trying to knock folks too hard, some of this thread does feel very "I have an eye patch over one eye and got socked in the other, but let me tell you about what I see."

While it's not exactly going to be a banner year from a "Gettin' Paid In Full..." standpoint, their is some pretty singular stuff happening.
    If you read my posts in this thread, I haven't exactly been all "let me tell you what I see", I've mostly just bemoaned that my favorite movie this year isn't doing well, and wondered why others aren't doing so hot either (seems like people only want to watch MCU and live action Disney films at the moment). And I was genuinely asking who this person is and what did she direct.

If you read my posts in this thread, I haven't exactly been all "let me tell you what I see", I've mostly just bemoaned that my favorite movie this year isn't doing well, and wondered why others aren't doing so hot either (seems like people only want to watch MCU and live action Disney films at the moment). And I was genuinely asking who this person is and what did she direct.
    If you've ever heard of a band called The Misfits(well, if you have and are older than thirty), you probably know who Glenn is even if you can't put a face with his name.

Anywho, he has been kicking around the idea that he would one day direct a horror film. Well, this was the year. It's loosely based around a horror-themed comics imprint that he used to run back in the day.

It's called Verotika, and it just debuted this week. While it doesn't seem to be what he might have intended, some folks takeaway was that it was along the lines of the film The Room.

When you add that to the fact that Nightmare Cinema is getting some sort of a theatrical run starting in about a week, it's a good summer for anthology horror if nothing else.

Here are the box office estimates for June 14-16 from Box Office Mojo. It's a shitty Summer, all right. The public has spoken.

Since the chart below only contains estimates, not every movie in release is included because studios don't always bother to report estimates for movies that are on their last legs. I would expect both Shazam and Captain Marvel to be in the Top 25 when actuals are released tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4521&p=.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Box Office Mojo
    It was another disappointing weekend for a pair of new sequels as both Sony's Men in Black International and WB's Shaft were both unable to reach even the slimmest of studio expectations heading into the weekend. The weekend is down significantly compared to last year when Incredibles 2 bowed with a record-shattering $182.6 million opening and next weekend will turn to Pixar once again, looking to Toy Story 4 to turn the tide.

Sony's release of Men in Black International debuted with a disappointing $28.5 million from 4,224 locations. By comparison, this is the lowest opening in the franchise by over $20 million as all three of the previous installments opened with over $51 million. The $110 million production joins a slew of recently released sequels to not only under-perform based on pre-weekend expectations, but severely under-performing based on previous films in the franchise. Entering the weekend the film received mostly negative reviews and opening day audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore, which is hardly a ringing endorsement. The film played to an opening weekend crowd that was 56% male with 53% of the overall audience coming in aged 25 or older.

Internationally, Men in Black brought in $73.7 million from 36 markets, giving the film a global debut over $102 million. The studio notes the film is tracking on par with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and 19% behind MIB 3 at current exchange rates for the same group of markets.

Disney's release of Fox's Dark Phoenix cratered in its second weekend, dropping a massive -72.6% for an estimated $9 million three-day and a domestic gross that now tops $51 million. This is the second largest second weekend drop for a film playing in over 3,500 theaters in its second weekend behind only 2015's Fifty Shades of Grey (-73.9%). Additionally, Dark Phoenix earned an estimated $24.2 million in its second weekend of release internationally, raising the overall overseas cume to $152.5 million for a global haul that now tops $204 million.

Finishing outside the top five we find WB's release of Shaft, which the studio was expecting to debut somewhere around $15 million, but it could only muster an estimated $8.3 million from 2,952 locations. That said, while critical response was mixed-to-negative, opening day audiences gave the film an "A" CinemaScore, though with an opening this low the film's fate is most likely sealed. Additionally, the film played to a crowd that was 54% female and 84% of the overall audience came in aged 25 years or older.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 06-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.

I mean the thought I get from this is two things.

1. People are starting to get REALLY sick of sequels and reboots to mediocre franchises. I use the term mediocre loosely, franchises that once were strong but had several meh sequels are here as well.

2. Studios need to stop throwing money at the screen, its starting to hurt. In a similar fashion to videogames we've reached a stage where something looking incredibly realistic or detailed isnt that interesting anymore. Effects and explosions can only cover terrible storytelling for so long. Movies are killing themselves by overspending then wasting even more on oversaturated marketing.

Fantastic Member

I've stated this in the past, but all these studios need to stop thinking the only viable release window is May to mid July. It's too crowded and there's only so much money people have to go around.

So far John Wick 3 is the only non Disney this summer that did well. I think Secret Life Of Pets 2 may had did better if it was released in mid August instead. Having come out just a couple weeks before Toy Story 4(a much more anticipated animated film) may not have been the best idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    I've stated this in the past, but all these studios need to stop thinking the only viable release window is May to mid July.
    They have stopped thinking that. It's been clear since at least Winter Soldier. It's the media that keep going on about the summer movie season.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean the thought I get from this is two things.

1. People are starting to get REALLY sick of sequels and reboots to mediocre franchises. I use the term mediocre loosely, franchises that once were strong but had several meh sequels are here as well.

2. Studios need to stop throwing money at the screen, its starting to hurt. In a similar fashion to videogames we've reached a stage where something looking incredibly realistic or detailed isnt that interesting anymore. Effects and explosions can only cover terrible storytelling for so long. Movies are killing themselves by overspending then wasting even more on oversaturated marketing.
    I don't know if that's really the take away here. I think Endgame really sucked a lot of oxygen from the room, and then Aladdin took what was left. Maybe the take away should be, don't compete with live action Marvel/Disney?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    I've stated this in the past, but all these studios need to stop thinking the only viable release window is May to mid July.
    In terms of sales...

In 2013, 6 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2014, 6 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2015, 7 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2016, 8 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2017, 7 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2018, 5 of the top 10 movies were released outside of that window
    In 2019, 4 movies already released outside of that window are almost certainly to be among the year's top 10

I don't know if that's really the take away here. I think Endgame really sucked a lot of oxygen from the room, and then Aladdin took what was left. Maybe the take away should be, don't compete with live action Marvel/Disney?
    By doing that you just killed the entire non Disney industry. Disney have a film out nearly every month this year. By not competing your giving movies MAYBE 3 weeks max runtime which means your expensive blockbusters will never make money back.

Astonishing Member

Well, most of this years big movies released before summer got going. I also think everyone got burned out with the highs of Endgame. I don't necessarily think a lot of the films getting released this summer are bad. But they haven't done much to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    By doing that you just killed the entire non Disney industry. Disney have a film out nearly every month this year. By not competing your giving movies MAYBE 3 weeks max runtime which means your expensive blockbusters will never make money back.
    But they don't have an MCU or live action remake every month, and even in those months you can schedule things so you've got a couple weeks between movies, and most importantly I was being a bit general on the MCU thing, you most especially just need to give breathing room to the Avengers movies.