Default J. Jonah Jameson Appreciation

It appears we do not have a J. Jonah Jameson appreciation thread. That is surprising, considering he's one of the best Marvel characters.

I'll start with JK Simmons post-Academy Award, reprising his most famous role to imagine Jonah's reaction to the end of Avengers: Infinity War.

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/...0hFRUzhQIg1DsM
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

It is weird that it's taken so long.

I recently did number crunching and after Mary Jane, Jameson is the most recurring supporting character in Spider-Man. 961 around 2015, and well over a thousand by now. It's also interesting that until the marriage, Jonah made 300 appearances and he often appeared in multiple non-spider-man titles.

Jameson to me is the embodiment of Peter's guilty conscience and Chip Zdarsky's My Dinner with Jonah emphasizes that wonderfully where he says that Jameson was in the audience during Peter's days as a TV performer in AF#15.

Jameson reminds Peter that there was once a time that Peter was every bit the arrogant, selfish, glory hound showboat that Jameson often accuses Spider-Man of being. As unfair as he is to Spider-Man, he upholds Spider-Man to the same absurd impossible standards that Peter does himself.

And he at times is heroic. I love ASM#91-92 where he tells Sam Bullitt to go stuff himself.

Nice to (finally) see an appreciation thread for the greatest Spider-Man character of them all other than Peter Parker himself. Give me Ol' Flattop or give me death!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

"I don't want appreciation, i want pictures of Spider-Man!!!"
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Jameson is the best support character in comics. period. End of sentence.

He can do everything. he can be the close friend, he can be the villian, he can be serious, comic relief, anything.

Need a reason for Spider-man to go to New Mexico? Jameson sent him there on assignment. Need Peter to be in a finacial bind? Jameson isn't paying him enough. Need him to be well off, Jameson pays him a LOT for a picture he liked.

Pretty much anything you need, Jameson is there for.

Far From Spoilers.

spoilers:
    I am very glad they brought back Simmons. He just overshadowed anyone who could have had the role. Even in Amazing Spider-Man 2, they had Jonah as a text message and it was basically Simmons' Jonah. However, it does appear to be a different take on the character as more of an online outsider.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Far From Spoilers.

spoilers:
    I am very glad they brought back Simmons. He just overshadowed anyone who could have had the role. Even in Amazing Spider-Man 2, they had Jonah as a text message and it was basically Simmons' Jonah. However, it does appear to be a different take on the character as more of an online outsider.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Reminds me of Insomniac's Spider-Man from the PS4 game. It also seems Marvel realized nobody would ever top Simmons in the role and just brought him back.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

I personally think that

spoilers:
    Jameson can be recast. I mean Simmons was an unknown character actor when Sam Raimi cast him and made him into a later-period movie star. He's perfect casting yeah but it definitely didn't seem that way on Day 1, since I doubt many fans would have known or heard of him before Raimi cast him.

And I don't know if Simmons was well-served with the material. He was amazing in Spider-Man 1, but Raimi didn't give him a lot to do in the sequels and he was mostly comedy relief. The stuff about his son marrying MJ and so on, ultimately didn't factor in his relationship with Peter and so on. The Jameson that Simmons got to play in the Raimi movies is mostly a comedy relief character. I am sure that Simmons can enact the deeper shades of Jameson -- The Jameson of ASM#10, the Jameson of the Daydreamers, the Jameson of Bendis' Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, the Pulse, Born Again, the Spider-Slayers, My Dinner with Jonah. To me if MCU are going to go with comedy relief again in the next film, then they are just wasting Mr. Simmons' time.

My personal feeling is that for the MCU, Jameson could have been recast. My pick would be Tom Hanks. The Tom Hanks of A League of Her Own, the first half of Toy Story 1, Coen Bros' Ladykillers, and also from The Post.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    spoilers:
    Reminds me of Insomniac's Spider-Man from the PS4 game. It also seems Marvel realized nobody would ever top Simmons in the role and just brought him back.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean, they've been doing stuff like that with Jonah for a while now. I think he was a public broadcaster on the 90's cartoon as well.

I think someone could have pulled off Jonah in their own right as well as JK did, but he's definitely 100% everyone's ideal for the role.
    end of spoilers