Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Phantasm Returns: King to use the Phantasm in Batman/Catwoman

On One Hand PHANTASM HYPE, on the other hand I’ve been mixed on King’s Run
    0455C140-3C18-4593-B419-319C22E2DD22.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Mannnnnnnnnnnn this is so incredible! And if they're keeping the same identity of who it actually is, then that makes it an even perfect fit! It would honestly be really easy for them to make Mask Of The Phantasm canon to the DCU if they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Mannnnnnnnnnnn this is so incredible! And if they're keeping the same identity of who it actually is, then that makes it an even perfect fit! It would honestly be really easy for them to make Mask Of The Phantasm canon to the DCU if they wanted.
    They already implied its her. “SHE AWAITS YOU”
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

Mighty Member

I'm too pumped to temper my excitement with reservations about King's run. Phantasm! By Clay Mann! And you can bet Tomasi will use her at some point, too!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member

Honestly I could see them pretty much ripping her entire backstory from the movie without too much trouble, just change the Joker before being the Joker killing her dad to some random mobster or something and I can't think of much that would contradict the main DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Honestly I could see them pretty much ripping her entire backstory from the movie without too much trouble, just change the Joker before being the Joker killing her dad to some random mobster or something and I can't think of much that would contradict the main DCU.
    Even Joker can stay- We have 3 anyway
    Pull List:

It also really works considering Mask Of The Phantasm's thematic through line is pretty much the same as King's, with both exploring the "Can Batman be happy?" question. They connect together so smoothly.

MotP itself is also so self-contained, both in the flashbacks and present day, that it is really easy to splice it into the current DCU (even with its own continuity problems) and it would make sense. And like the poster mentioned, Joker is always all over the place (and there's three of them) that him being involved in this isn't that much of a stretch.

Astonishing Member

Interesting especially since Reaper (the source of inspiration for Phantasm) made a comeback in Detective Comics.

Astonishing Member

Mixed feelings. Great the characters back. Two buts: providing its the same person as the film and I haven't liked Tom King's run either.

Extraordinary Member

I’m hopeful, generally optimistic, but yeah, I’m also wary about King making this overwrought with pontificating when I think his strength (for me) is in just having characters act like people, not like thesis statements.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Is this the first time Phantasm has been properly integrated into the main DCU? I think so.

I'm glad to see her and I think she would make an interesting contrast to the Bat/Cat relationship, even though I don't really have much faith in King to write Andrea well.

I always thought the Reaper was kinda the DCU's version of Phantasm. Maybe this will be Rachel, The Reaper's daughter. (who had also dated Bruce, so that's fitting for Phantasm lore and for a "Cat/Bat" title. Nothing like an ex to bring the pain...) Although I have no idea how much of "Batman:Year Two" is canon since Reaper was apparently rebooted.

...the return? Was Phantasm ever introduced in comic book continuity? I thought she was exclusive to the DCAU?

Now THAT is a cool idea!!!!!!!

Great find Denirac!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Trying to drum up hype for King's maxi series, and it looks to be working... though I think I will still trade wait this.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.