View Poll Results: Who was a better Magneto?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ian McKellen

30 63.83%
  • Michael Fassbender

17 36.17%
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Battle of performances: Magneto

The Fox movies were unfair to some characters but the master of magnetism was somewhat well served.
    We had two great actors giving strong performances as Magneto but which of them did it better???

Which of these portrayals you enjoyed the most, Ian McKellen or Michael Fassbender?
    Please if you want explain your answer.

magneto.jpg
    fassbender.jpg
    mckellen2.jpg

Also if you want another battle of performance reply with your suggestion about who should be next
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 06-11-2019 at 04:24 PM.

I'm a tad biased. I adore Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart. A couple years ago they went to San Diego Comic-Con as they usually do, and went to one of the courtyards at the convention center, rolled out a blanket, and read poetry to anyone who wanted to listen. They had close to 300 people sitting and listening, and you could hear a pin drop in a location that normally has a louder noise than a 747. Did you know: the vibration from noise coming from SDCC every year registers as a 3.0 earthquake on geological tests at nearby San Diego State university?

So my answer is clear here. I thought they both gave it a proper mix of gravitas and ham, even when things went way off the rails in X-3.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I'm a tad biased. I adore Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart. A couple years ago they went to San Diego Comic-Con as they usually do, and went to one of the courtyards at the convention center, rolled out a blanket, and read poetry to anyone who wanted to listen. They had close to 300 people sitting and listening, and you could hear a pin drop in a location that normally has a louder noise than a 747. Did you know: the vibration from noise coming from SDCC every year registers as a 3.0 earthquake on geological tests at nearby San Diego State university?

So my answer is clear here. I thought they both gave it a proper mix of gravitas and ham, even when things went way off the rails in X-3.
    Yes, I heard about the noise that all of those people make. There are also so many people trying to get in, all having bought tickets of course, but some years, there are days where people wait in lines for nearly the entire day before getting in for the last one or two hours.

I would say Sir Ian did the better acting.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I believe they did a great job with the part they were given, but I think Fassbender´s magneto was closer to his comic counterpart specially with the addition of Quicksilver and Nina as his children, Genosha in the last movie, the nazi hunting in First Class and his addition to Days of Future Past but this is related more to the writting in those movies than the acting imo as a Magneto fan I enjoyed to see them both do a comic magneto performance in Days of Future Past.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 06-11-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

McKellen. Fassbender was good too, but McKellen's version basically had the maximum possible level of swag.

McKellen is goddamn daddy. Fass is hot uncle. Magneto is daddy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    McKellen is goddamn daddy. Fass is hot uncle. Magneto is daddy.
    This is exactly what I came to say, already perfectly expressed.

FEFEC5A6-E66B-4B14-A169-8F3A49825E73.jpg

Sir Ian brought class and authenticity. But only Fassbender matched the intensity that i associate with the character. also, I think back to the best Magneto stories. and I can't imagine Ian McKellan narrating those stories. Fassbender could believably be the character in Bunn's 'Infamous.' he could pull off the 90s version as well; raging at Moira MacTaggert. McKellan's Magneto seemed like he wouldn't have raised his voice in that way.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.

McKellen for me. Tough choice but his performance in DoFP sealed it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I think McKellan projected gravitas better and had more layered performances. Fassbender was a good replacement, though.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Both were great but lll take Ian for the win
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

No contest. Ian delivered the ideology fervently. So poetically you couldnt help but be stirred by it. I would follow that Magneto unquestionably, he seems to think he is genuinely doing good.

I didn't vote. Sure, Ian McKellen is a impressing Magneto quite intimidating. But Michael Fassbender shows a Magneto more conflicted, dare I say more human.
    It isn't just about the performances, it's also due to the script.
    I vote for a merging of the two: they represent Magneto at different phases of his life.

Ian is a better Erik.
    Fassbender is a better Magneto.
    He is more convincing using the powers.