Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I mean, you have to think about the landscape at the time. This is coming out right around the same time as Star Wars. Space opera is a thing. The scale of a galactic empire and Phoenix saving the universe from an ancient powerful crystal magnifies everything. Then the pendulum swings the other way after years of development and she now presents a threat to life on the same scale. The space stuff is not just spectacle, it heightens the story to cosmic levels.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

because everything about 90s X-Men was the best

They only go to space in the last two issues, all they do is play a round of high-stakes Fortnite on the moon, and the birds were only there because Lord Claremont had them leftover from the last story and needed antagonists. DPS is only "muh cosmic" story due to later retcons. Even if you wanted the same plot structure, you could swap the broccoli for some other atrocity and you could swap the birds for something else like uh, notable X-Villain who would want to kill a potentially genocidal force, hmmm... drawing a bit of a blank here... can't think of anyone...

The story lives and dies off of its core cast's emotions and their responses to the situation. The most important thing you would need is time to actually grow attached to the characters before such a story happens, which a certain studio seemed to forget.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

See, that's the problem; thinking DPS is contained to only those handful of issues at the end, when in fact it is just the crescendo of the story that Claremont had been building since the X-Men had that Christmas in New York City in Uncanny 98(or even 97's Xavier's dream and Erik the Red's airport attack). I mean, even if you somehow think it's okay to skip Jean actually becoming Phoenix and the whole thing with D'Ken/the Shi'Ar/the M'Kraan, just afterwards, in Uncanny 110 when they played their first game of baseball, Warhawk is telepathically compelled by some mysterious figure to plant a device inside the mansion, the device which would let the Hellfire Club monitor all of the X-men's training in the Danger Room and grant Mastermind access to Jean's mind at a distance. The space stuff is not superfluous, nor dependent on later retcons.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I disagree entirely on swapping or disregarding the space opera or fantasy elements of the Phoenix.

It's half of what makes the event fun and epic, this is comic books, if I wanted grounded realism I'd be reading something else.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think it proved the Dark Phoenix Saga works best as a serial rather than a one-off. I hope the failure of 2 movies treating it as a done-in-one hammered home the point.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

My main issue with TAS (and X-cartoons in general) is that I find the animation awful X/

Put me down for “doesn’t need cosmic elements”.

What I WILL say is that yoga is right that we need to see more Phoenix before we see Dark Phoenix. The case needs to be made that Jean has mutated past Xavier’s limited definition of superhero. We need to see Jean as a caged bird (heh) and capable of godlike miracles.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The movies are just the demon from The Exorcist shaking up in Jean's body. Twice. ****'s stupid.

I don't get the need to remove the cosmic elements of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. The cosmic element adds to the fact that the X-Men are dealing with something beyond the realm of advanced biology and mutations. Also replacing the Imperial Guard for the final act will be a tough task since they were established as an actual threat to the X-Men and other Earth heroes (re: Fantastic Four).

Also I never considered WatXM's version an adaptation.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I think it proved the Dark Phoenix Saga works best as a serial rather than a one-off. I hope the failure of 2 movies treating it as a done-in-one hammered home the point.
    I'd rather have seen it gradually unfold on a TV show.

as far as a 2 hour movie, if "done right" in movie form, would ideally be a trilogy-- movie 1, jean gets the powers and seems stable. movie 2, she is gradually corrupted, and in the climax, does some spectacular cosmic damage. Movie 3, the aliens (Shi'ar, whoever else) comes to attack her/destroy her, and it becomes a movie-long brawl across a couple of different planets/moons. Super-risky, but in any case..

Because TAS respected the source material.

Singer, Kinberg, Donner and Fox Executives always thought that X-men comics were stupid and that they could do better.

This is something I've been wondering myself. The Ultimate comics didn't really have a great adaptation of this story either.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    https://twitter.com/darren_mooney/st...862371328?s=21

Darren Mooney had a fascinating tweet thread dissecting the story. The number one problem with adapting DPS is that it’s incredibly archaic. Jean’s arc challenges old paradigms about superheroes and gender roles and generational authority. We’re almost 50 years hence. Without that arc, and it’s necessary challenges in the form of Magneto, Xavier, White Queen and Cyclops, the Phoenix Saga just becomes a cosmic battle royale with fanservice and cgi.

Umbrella Academy updated it incredibly well because it focused on trauma and internal strife, and didn’t shy away from the father figure being selfish and somewhat villainous.
    Very interesting. Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I can't stand WatXM's version. Jean is a pawn like in X3, and the entire team dynamics are all wrong.
    LMAO TBF WatXM didn't care about Jean and instead made it Emma's story.

Unlike X3 (haven't watched DP yet so ain't gonna comment on that), WatXM works as an AU retelling.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 06-30-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    LMAO TBF WatXM didn't care about Jean and instead made it Emma's story.

Unlike X3 (haven't watched DP yet so ain't gonna comment on that), WatXM works as an AU retelling.
    WatXM didn't care about Emma either. Or Scott. Or anyone who wasn't Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Because TAS respected the source material.

Singer, Kinberg, Donner and Fox Executives always thought that X-men comics were stupid and that they could do better.
    Feige said he was the only one reading the books while he was a producer at fox