Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Let the Sidekicks become Adults

Hello,

I have a Question:

DC had the Titans, who still exist, but different formation etc.

Now I would like to ask why DC didnt/doesnt let the Sidekicks finally grow up.

I mean one of my wishes at the moment would be a Team consisting of the 22-25 Year old Versions of:
    -Kon El
    -Tim Drake
    -Cassie
    -Bart

along with other members.

1. For TIM DRAKE
    I REALLY LOVED how DC designed the Titans of Tomorrow Tim Drake in Rebirth, he was cool, clever, good in battle and a real genius, maybe better than Bruce himself.
    I loved this Outfit of the Arkham Games, where he also looked older than current Comic Tim
    https://www.quora.com/Who-should-hav...-Arkham-Knight
    He would be a great Master-Mind for the Group

2. For CASSIE SANDSMARK
    Simply the Titans of Tomorrow Rebirth Version..She was amazing, beautiful, great costume, great Leader

3. For KON EL
    http://comicartcommunity.com/wp-cont...-Unchained.jpg
    I loved this outfit,body size etc. and it would perfectly match for Kon El when he is 22-25 Years old..
    Simply replace cape with leather jacket and give him also TTK

4. For Bart
    I like a kind of Flash Costume for him, but maybe not the Titans of Tomorrow one...

I would find this very cool and I think it could also have big success and show that proteges can become better than the mentors...

I like Young Justice, BUT I would prefer such a TITAN approach to them...
    We already have Teen Titans and Bart,Conner,Cassie...should have outgrow this roles and be able to take on bigger villains...

Astonishing Member

For the sidekicks to reach adulthood the mentors have to actually get older. DC has spent 80+ years rebooting Superman and Batman so that they can be eternally young stars of the DC line.

Dick Grayson has to be old enough when he becomes Nightwing to no longer be a "teen wonder". Now add in Jason having at least enough time to be recognized as a separate Robin (not just a fill-in). And now we have to add enough time for Tim to go from teen Robin to 22-25 year old guy. So now Dick is older than Bruce was when Batman appeared and Bruce is closer to 40 than 35 (if not over 40).

Same logic applies to Cassie who ages up Donna if not Diana (though Diana supposedly starts aging upon leaving the island in some takes). Kon-El at the least means Superman has aged 6-9 years from Kon's debut as 16 to your preferred age. Bart has the problem of either co-existing with one of the Kid Flashes or else expanding Barry's career to include the original, Barry's death and then Bart's whole career.

Extraordinary Member

When it comes to aging up the thir mentors, Tim is actually the only problem.

Amazons don't age, Kryptonians age iirc slower and Kon is anyway clone, and with Speedsters seem also to age slower (at least Jay Garrik did iirc) and Bart is anyway Time traveller.

The Bigger problem is that ageing them up is that they will come to close to the age of the original Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,

I have a Question:

DC had the Titans, who still exist, but different formation etc.

Now I would like to ask why DC didnt/doesnt let the Sidekicks finally grow up.

I mean one of my wishes at the moment would be a Team consisting of the 22-25 Year old Versions of:
    -Kon El
    -Tim Drake
    -Cassie
    -Bart

along with other members.

1. For TIM DRAKE
    I REALLY LOVED how DC designed the Titans of Tomorrow Tim Drake in Rebirth, he was cool, clever, good in battle and a real genius, maybe better than Bruce himself.
    I loved this Outfit of the Arkham Games, where he also looked older than current Comic Tim
    https://www.quora.com/Who-should-hav...-Arkham-Knight
    He would be a great Master-Mind for the Group

2. For CASSIE SANDSMARK
    Simply the Titans of Tomorrow Rebirth Version..She was amazing, beautiful, great costume, great Leader

3. For KON EL
    http://comicartcommunity.com/wp-cont...-Unchained.jpg
    I loved this outfit,body size etc. and it would perfectly match for Kon El when he is 22-25 Years old..
    Simply replace cape with leather jacket and give him also TTK

4. For Bart
    I like a kind of Flash Costume for him, but maybe not the Titans of Tomorrow one...

I would find this very cool and I think it could also have big success and show that proteges can become better than the mentors...

I like Young Justice, BUT I would prefer such a TITAN approach to them...
    We already have Teen Titans and Bart,Conner,Cassie...should have outgrow this roles and be able to take on bigger villains...
    Have you seen what DC has done to the original Titans? Dick is busy being "Ric", while his own title series has been taken over by a bunch nobodies. Roy was unceremoniously killed off. Wally turned into a mass murderer that tried to frame others. Donna was an alcoholic last we saw. And a good number of others were iced along with Roy.

Why? Because they had the audacity to make Batman and company look older than 30.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What everybody already said. The current DC wants the Justice League gen to be the main characters the audience prefer, and they can't have that if their sidekicks grow up into something younger, sexier, and more relatable.

I'm all for it, although continue it an alt ongoing U. also they need to "grow" into their own actual unique names, costumes, identities or you haven't actually created something new.
    So as to not have multiple titles with a bunch of derivative charters and titles diluting it. Make it and call them something actually new!
    As far as in the main Universe. If you are one of those here who is always ranting about "fixing" comics, by ending the sliding timescale which is whats made comics unique to other media and had them and their main characters last so long, and your goal is to replace it with characters aging and getting old and dying , to be replaced by your favorite derivative character (you just happen to follow). Denying future gens of their version of a young, in his prime Bruce Wayne etc... Pandering to you, is the problem not the solution.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I'm all far it, although continue it an alt ongoing U. also they need to "grow" into their own actual unique names or identities or you haven't actually created something new.
    So as to not have multiple titles with a bunch of derivative charters titles diluting it. Make it and call it something actually new!
    As fa as in the main Universe. If you are one of those here who is always ranting about "fixing" comics, by ending the sliding timescale which is whats made comics unique to other media and had them and their main characters last last so long, and your goal is to replace it with characters aging and getting old and dying , to be replaced by your favorite derivative character. Denying future gens of their version young in his prime Bruce Wayne etc... Pandering to you is the problem not the solution.
    They had that. It was called Earth 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    For the sidekicks to reach adulthood the mentors have to actually get older. DC has spent 80+ years rebooting Superman and Batman so that they can be eternally young stars of the DC line.

Dick Grayson has to be old enough when he becomes Nightwing to no longer be a "teen wonder". Now add in Jason having at least enough time to be recognized as a separate Robin (not just a fill-in). And now we have to add enough time for Tim to go from teen Robin to 22-25 year old guy. So now Dick is older than Bruce was when Batman appeared and Bruce is closer to 40 than 35 (if not over 40).

Same logic applies to Cassie who ages up Donna if not Diana (though Diana supposedly starts aging upon leaving the island in some takes). Kon-El at the least means Superman has aged 6-9 years from Kon's debut as 16 to your preferred age. Bart has the problem of either co-existing with one of the Kid Flashes or else expanding Barry's career to include the original, Barry's death and then Bart's whole career.
    I agree to an extent. We already have the possibility of Superman having aged at least ten years since KonEl appeared because we have a ten year old Jon Kent, who had to have been born AFTER the Death of Superman. So, we have a window of having a 20 something Kon El. We are looking at a universe where Superman and Batman are much closer to 40 than 35. If we go by the math that Superman debut at the age of 22 and he was flying around Metropolis at least seven years after the debut when Doomsday hit, that means for Jon to have been born after the fact, Superman is pushing 40, if not into his early 40s.

Some generations of sidekicks already have. Honestly, I think the only ones still under 18 is Jon and Damian, and even Jon is pushing it.

Yeah, the only ones who should be under 18 at this point are the rookie members of Young Justice (Teen Lantern, who's actually 11, Jinny Hex, and maybe Amethyst), Superboy (Jon), Supergirl, and the current Teen Titans (except for Djinn). DC's teen heroes mostly lean older than Marvel's, since most of Marvel's were introduced fairly recently (the ones who are as old as the Young Justice classics and Fab Five and New Teen Titans have actually aged into adulthood, for example Nova, who now has a teen successor).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    They had that. It was called Earth 2.
    Yeah no kidding, that's my point. and it was great!
    Helena Wayne Hiuntres, and, Hippolyta "Lyta" Trevor Fruy , were great characters.
    And could be published right along side the classics. No conflict.
    New gen could get both their version of constantly updated ongoing sliding time scale Bruce Wayne Batman, and all new gen of characters.
    That's how you do it!

Yet this new gen attitude of I want my crap little derivative character to become the new and replace Batman in the main U? Would kill the industry. This new gen is obsessed with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    By all means spin little Timmian Todrake Doo or whoever, into his own U, where he grows up and becomes the new Batman who is supposedly better then Bruce Wayne, or whatever crap is envisioned.
    But we know who the real U Bruce Wayne is.

Or how about stop pretending these derivative character is all new and unique, and actually create something new.
    Oh right, but that's difficult. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-12-2019 at 09:24 AM.

But, DC just de-aged practically everybody at the start of the New52 back in 2011!!!

You want DC to suddenly re-age (and more!) all the characters now?

Because it ages the characters even though they're already that way because the big 2 have sons older than 10.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Some generations of sidekicks already have. Honestly, I think the only ones still under 18 is Jon and Damian, and even Jon is pushing it.
    tim has been 17 for 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, DC just de-aged practically everybody at the start of the New52 back in 2011!!!

You want DC to suddenly re-age (and more!) all the characters now?

Considering that the old continuity is mostly reasserting itself... yes. Raven and Beast Boy in particular were affected.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman