Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The premise of Batman Beyond was that it was a spin-off set in the future. DC/Warner Bros didn't age up and replace Bruce Wayne in their entire product line, it was just a self-contained show in its own bubble.

Legion of Super-Heroes is set in the future. The core DC Universe line of comics will never catch up to that time frame. It's a completely different scenario from having Bruce Wayne cycle through a dozen Robins in the core, present day DC Universe.
    I'm not whether you're deliberately moving the goal posts, or whether you're just missing my point. But IMO, the (continuing) successes of both lines (LoSH might not be printing at the moment, but it's return is strongly favoured) makes it clear to me that DC's reliance on rehashes of the Silver Age characters as their mainstays which limits character growth of both them and their successors is IP-focused corporate mandate (greed/laziness) not an inherent inability of good writers to move the narrative on from there if given the chance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    I'm not whether you're deliberately moving the goal posts, or whether you're just missing my point. But IMO, the (continuing) successes of both lines (LoSH might not be printing at the moment, but it's return is strongly favoured) makes it clear to me that DC's reliance on rehashes of the Silver Age characters as their mainstays which limits character growth of both them and their successors is IP-focused corporate mandate (greed/laziness) not an inherent inability of good writers to move the narrative on from there if given the chance.
    I genuinely don't see how you're connecting the dots, why the Legion of Super-Heroes' existence means that DC should keep on introducing new Robins and Kid Flashes indefinitely.

Legion of Super-Heroes are also Silver Age mainstays.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I genuinely don't see how you're connecting the dots, why the Legion of Super-Heroes' existence means that DC should keep on introducing new Robins and Kid Flashes indefinitely.

Legion of Super-Heroes are also Silver Age mainstays.
    Okay, I suppose that it doesn't necessarily mean that we need new postholders of existing identities, but does support the idea that new teen heroes (with sidekicks being the majority IMO) should be added on a regular basis to support the ongoing tradition, and personally I think it also makes sense that most taken on an "individual identity" after their sidekick phase as a mark of their transistion to adulthood (as established back in the 80s with three of the most famous DC sidekicks (Dick Grayson, Roy Harper and Garth)).

As far as the LoSH goes, I agree that they are originated in the Silver Age, but they aren't 'frozen' in their SA portrayals to the same extent that a lot of ED editoral and the some of the fandom seem to want the JLA to be.
    Last edited by Shamrock Holmes; Today at 03:39 PM.

I'm cool with letting the sidekicks take over. The novelty will be fun for a while.