Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Create A Line Of "Action" DC Titles

Not to be confused with Action Comics, the Superman title. Basically, a line of comics about DC characters that could fit into the action/martial arts genre of storytelling. These characters must either be non-powered or low level powered (i.e. Spider-Man level of strength). Feel free to come up with a name and who you would put in charge as well.

Oooh. Interesting.

So, I would start the line with four titles, one coming out each week. I would try to push a grittier style for the titles, that way it gives a definitive feel for the line (kind of like how Wondwr Comics is “brighter “ in feel to other DC comics)

Manhunter would focus on Kate Spencer doing what she does best by Ed Brubaker and Jae Lee.

Connor Hawke: The Arrow would turn the character into a traveling hero and dives into a lot of the storytelling styles of the old 70s Kung Fu comics. It would be by Judd Winick and Matthew Clark.

Gangbuster would tell the adventures of Jose Delgado set in Suicide Slum as he takes down the dark underbelly of Metropolis by Ordway and McDaniels.

The Questions. This would deal with both Vic and Renee Montoya doing their basic crime noir stories by Greg Rucka and Alex Maleev.

The imprint would be called Adventure Comics, which would pay homage to the long running title of the same name.

Wildcat & Black Canary: A street level noir thriller featuring two of the greatest hand to hand fighters in the DCU. This series would be written by Brian Michael Bendis and would be similar to his fantastic run on Daredevil.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I've never settled on a name but I've always had an idea in my head for a street level teen group for Damian's generation. Usually consisting of him, Colin Wilkes, Jon, and a female Green Lantern trainee (usually Blue Beetle's little sister). As kind of like a follow up to both Super Sons and this current run of Teen Titans. Though, since we're supposed to be keeping powers to a minimum, I suppose I could switch Jon and Milagro out for Maya and....I don't know. Maybe it's just Damian, Colin, and Maya xD

As for who I'd have write it, my go-to for Damian stuff is always Tomasi, Gleason, or Morrison. But I could see Priest doing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I've never settled on a name but I've always had an idea in my head for a street level teen group for Damian's generation. Usually consisting of him, Colin Wilkes, Jon, and a female Green Lantern trainee (usually Blue Beetle's little sister). As kind of like a follow up to both Super Sons and this current run of Teen Titans. Though, since we're supposed to be keeping powers to a minimum, I suppose I could switch Jon and Milagro out for Maya and....I don't know. Maybe it's just Damian, Colin, and Maya xD

As for who I'd have write it, my go-to for Damian stuff is always Tomasi, Gleason, or Morrison. But I could see Priest doing it too.
    Maybe have one of the Gotham Academy kids?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-12-2019 at 08:06 AM.

The Silencer Volume 2.

I mean, the premise fits like a glove. DC just have to finally uses her as the John Wick that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Basically, a line of comics about DC characters that could fit into the action/martial arts genre of storytelling. These characters must either be non-powered or low level powered (i.e. Spider-Man level of strength). Feel free to come up with a name and who you would put in charge as well.
    DC already had this great set up, yet most creators and fans today seem ignorant of it.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4196202

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

As the globe trotting adventurer heroes they were set up to be, been waiting for this book to continue since 1975. LOL!
    And yes as is, it could be a great TV series.
    All your "new" (read as derivative) ideas here are lame, none of them are going to be better then the already established original set-up:

They are the greatest adventure trio already, they were a diverse team before most of you were born, and it wasn't forced or about that, nobody was ridiculously replaced, gender or race swamped to "fix" anything, stop trying to reinvent, "revamp" or "fix" and replace with your derivative garbage, these three were ahead of all of you, and none of you (or the bozos currently running DC)will ever come up with something better. LOL!
    Just pick it up, and keep their adventure going...

And give them back their hover-jet, it was fantastic! - https://i.imgur.com/XIYOUQ1.jpg
    Team book as Trio with : Bronze Tiger, Richard Dragon & Lady Shiva

As it was designed:

The Dragon the Tiger and the Destroyer.

Just continue their adventures.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.

1974 Dragon's Fists... "Jim Dennis pseudonym of Dennis O'Neil

] I would try to push a grittier style for the titles, that way it gives a definitive feel ...
    See above Already was gritty, before that became a trend.

a traveling hero and dives into a lot of the storytelling styles of the old 70s Kung Fu comics.
    They did that too and you wouldn't have to artificially ape their 70's style, since they already were that, just revive and continue it.

Call it Action, call it Adventure, call it...

The Dragon the Tiger and the Destroyer.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Wildcat & Black Canary: A street level noir thriller featuring two of the greatest hand to hand fighters in the DCU. This series would be written by Brian Michael Bendis and would be similar to his fantastic run on Daredevil.
    Awesome

Love the Golden age Cat & Canary https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4061772

Also give them their cycles-

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Don't know how they've been retroactively written (or how Larry Lance fits into this?), but I always liked the idea of Golden Age Wildcat & Golden Age Black Canary together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post

Gangbuster would tell the adventures of Jose Delgado set in Suicide Slum as he takes down the dark underbelly of Metropolis by Ordway and McDaniels.

That'd be great! Would love to see him back.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.

I'd start by having a creator serve as the curator of the line, overseeing it, someone who is familiar with action-oriented series and had great success with them: Mike Grell. Between With Warlord, Jon Sable, and his Green Arrow run on the resume, Grell knows what it takes to make an action series work.

I'd start with a 6 issue limited series as an entry point to the imprint and use the Adventure Comics title-introduce the main characters, establish the milieu in which they operate, create some ties between them and then spin off other stories.

To anchor the line and give it some fan/brand recognition, I'd start with a pair of characters who have wider recognition within the DCU and among fans and potential customers:

Green Arrow

Black Canary

add in a mix of different characters and action oriented genres-

Travis Morgan, the Warlord
    Richard Dragon
    Bronze Tiger
    Lady Shiva
    Nathaniel Dusk
    Christopher Chance (the Human Target)
    The Unknown Soldier
    Lady Black Hawk and the Blackhawks
    Vixen (she's comparable to Spidey in power levels for the most part)
    Jack Ryder (The Creeper)
    The Question
    Peacemaker
    Sarge Steel

I also wouldn't look to do ongoings per se. I'd look at developing a series of stories, building on each other, but standalone (much like the series of adventure (or pulp) novels featuring characters like Remo Williams or Mac Bolan, Doc Savage or the Avenger successfully did for decades). Each would use some (or all the cast, the milieu, etc. established in the Adventure Comics mini. Serialize each story (have it run as long as it needs, 4, 6, 8, or 12 issues as needed for the story) for the direct market as a loss leader to pay for production costs, but look to ultimately put it out as a book/collected edition geared towards the book trade where it can be marketed as an adventure story to that particular market.

You can address a lot of different themes/subject matter and choose the cast appropriately, such as...

-infiltrating a terrorist organization and stopping a terrorist plot...use Chance, the Unknown Soldier, and mix in perhaps Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, Peacemaker and Sarge Steel.
    -dealing with some kind of gang/organized crime plot-Arrow, Canary, Dusk, etc.
    -you can introduce Skartaris for lot world element for a storyline etc. etc.

telling a series of interrelated adventure stories that also serve as standalone stories so each can be the entry point into the line for customers, and you can have a variety of creators contributing with Grell's hand guiding and overseeing the line to give it some consistency in voice/approach. You can read any of the storylines and get a complete satisfying story, but if you read each story, it builds a larger tapestry as well, paying off for regular readers but not short changing casual readers who pick and choose the stories that appeal to them.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 06-12-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I'd do a ten-book line:

Green Arrow/Black Canary
    The Question (Vic Sage)
    Bronze Tiger
    Manhunters (Kate Spencer vs. Mark Shaw)
    Peacemaker
    Crimson Avenger (New JSA version)
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    Vigilante (period book starring Greg Sanders version)
    Katana
    Fightin' 5 (new version of old Charlton team book starring Blue Beetle, Black Canary, Katana, Peacemaker, and Bronze Tiger and funded by an aged Vigilante)
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 06-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

Batman v Black Lightning v Robin. It will be a friendly competition between the 3 heroes. There will be a regional threat involving the League of Assassins, Joker and Tobias Whale. Batman, Robin and BL will all have moles inside the League of Assassins, the Joker and Tobias Whale's criminal organizations. So the team will consist of low level- mid level moles inside these criminal organizations.
    Last edited by Wakeneuron; 06-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

My imprint would be called The Brave & the Bold and would feature:
    Birds of Prey: Gail Simone/Ed Benes
    Gail back doing the book she did best with some of the characters she loved working on Black Canary, Huntress, Lady Blackhawk...and Batgirl. Sometimes globetrotting, sometimes busting thugs in a back alley.
    Catman: Gail Simone/Nicola Scott
    Thomas Blake is not a man to be crossed. When street gangs invade his territory, Blake sets out to protect his neighborhood. Problem is, these aren't your run of the mil thugs...
    Questions: Greg Rucka/Pete Woods
    Renee Montoya thought she had all the answers, until history started asking things she didn't know. Now she has to seek out the one man who might have the answers she's needing to fight a breathable drug that changes peoples appearances...Victor Sage.
    Wildcat: Mark Waid/Stefano Casselli
    Boxing Champ, Retired hero, trainer Ted Grant works to keep kids in his neighborhood out of trouble, but when personalities start becoming more aggressive and violent he digs in his claws to discover a new drug circulating the streets and seeks to find it's source.
    Crimson Fox Kelly Thompson/Adriana Melo
    When the heir to the D'Aramis fortune and perfume company discovers the company is involved in an illicit drug trade, Olivia D'Aramis tracks the initial source back to Gotham City (of course)

All titles would eventually crossover to resolve the drug storyline which would involve Olivia D'Aramis opening a branch of her company in Gotham and staying to run it and working with the Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'd start by having a creator serve as the curator of the line, overseeing it, someone who is familiar with action-oriented series and had great success with them: Mike Grell. Between With Warlord, Jon Sable, and his Green Arrow run on the resume, Grell knows what it takes to make an action series work.

I'd start with a 6 issue limited series as an entry point to the imprint and use the Adventure Comics title-introduce the main characters, establish the milieu in which they operate, create some ties between them and then spin off other stories.

To anchor the line and give it some fan/brand recognition, I'd start with a pair of characters who have wider recognition within the DCU and among fans and potential customers:

Green Arrow

Black Canary

add in a mix of different characters and action oriented genres-

Travis Morgan, the Warlord
    Richard Dragon
    Bronze Tiger
    Lady Shiva
    Nathaniel Dusk
    Christopher Chance (the Human Target)
    The Unknown Soldier
    Lady Black Hawk and the Blackhawks
    Vixen (she's comparable to Spidey in power levels for the most part)
    Jack Ryder (The Creeper)
    The Question
    Peacemaker
    Sarge Steel

I also wouldn't look to do ongoings per se. I'd look at developing a series of stories, building on each other, but standalone (much like the series of adventure (or pulp) novels featuring characters like Remo Williams or Mac Bolan, Doc Savage or the Avenger successfully did for decades). Each would use some (or all the cast, the milieu, etc. established in the Adventure Comics mini. Serialize each story (have it run as long as it needs, 4, 6, 8, or 12 issues as needed for the story) for the direct market as a loss leader to pay for production costs, but look to ultimately put it out as a book/collected edition geared towards the book trade where it can be marketed as an adventure story to that particular market.

You can address a lot of different themes/subject matter and choose the cast appropriately, such as...

-infiltrating a terrorist organization and stopping a terrorist plot...use Chance, the Unknown Soldier, and mix in perhaps Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva, Peacemaker and Sarge Steel.
    -dealing with some kind of gang/organized crime plot-Arrow, Canary, Dusk, etc.
    -you can introduce Skartaris for lot world element for a storyline etc. etc.

telling a series of interrelated adventure stories that also serve as standalone stories so each can be the entry point into the line for customers, and you can have a variety of creators contributing with Grell's hand guiding and overseeing the line to give it some consistency in voice/approach. You can read any of the storylines and get a complete satisfying story, but if you read each story, it builds a larger tapestry as well, paying off for regular readers but not short changing casual readers who pick and choose the stories that appeal to them.

-M
    I might be wrong, but I think Vixen is way beyond Spider-Man's power levels, since she has the powers of all animals, not just spiders. Not to mention that she can combine the powers of any animals she wants. Plus there is magic behind her powers because of the African god Anansi.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think Vixen is way beyond Spider-Man's power levels, since she has the powers of all animals, not just spiders. Not to mention that she can combine the powers of any animals she wants. Plus there is magic behind her powers because of the African god Anansi.
    Eh, Spidey has gone toe to toe with the likes of the Hulk and Thanos at times, so his strength level has varied depending on who is writing him at the time. That proportional strength of a spider has been quite powerful at certain times during his publishing history, and quite limited at others, depending on how the writers (or editors) wanted to portray it at the time. Vixen is much the same, and is really only as powerful as the imagination of who is writing her and how they want to use her powers. Throw in the Spider-totem magic behind his powers from the JMS era and add in the technological boost he can get from his scientific prowess, and they really are comparable power levels, unless a writer wants to portray them differently during their tenure.

A limit of no powerful than Spidey really gives you a lot of variables for power levels.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato