Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Waiting for Hickman: Plot Danglers and Unresolved Matters (2001-Present)

We've got another month to kill until the Hickman relaunch. It's being billed as the beginning of a new era and a shift in direction comparable to the start of the Claremont era in 1975 and of Morrison's run in 2001.

What's left unfinished from the current era?* What plot danglers have been left hanging? What storylines, character conflicts, relationships, and other matters remain unresolved?** What stories do you wish Marvel had followed up on? As a reader, what closure have you not gotten?

*For the purposes of this thread, I'm defining the "current era" quite broadly i.e. as all the way back to the beginning of Morrison's run. This is because IMO many of the overall themes, baseline characterizations, and big storylines have their roots in his run. Post-Morrison writers have tended to derive their understanding of the franchise and the main characters from the template he laid down rather than from what came before him.

**Obviously, there are the current storylines still underway such as Age of X-Man and Rosenberg's Uncanny run. Other threads exist to cover those so we don't need to discuss them here.

Incredible Member

* Amahl Farouk's role in creating the Days of Future Past future - Claremont Era

* Carter Ghazikanian's father - everyone's favourite era

Honestly I don't think we'll have anything resolved from the AoX/Uncanny run that will effect HOX/POX outside of bringing the gang back to our reality and reuniting Jean and Scott. The other stuff seems to be fluff that the X-Office put to distract us until the main event.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Honestly I don't think we'll have anything resolved from the AoX/Uncanny run that will effect HOX/POX outside of bringing the gang back to our reality and reuniting Jean and Scott. The other stuff seems to be fluff that the X-Office put to distract us until the main event.
    I'm not asking about what might affect HoX/PoX. I'm asking about stuff Marvel has left hanging, forgotten about, won't get to before HoX/PoX, and won't deal with after. Danglers. Unsolved mysteries. Unresolved conflicts.

BANNED

Havok's daughter is still kidnapped by Kang.

The fake mutant sleeper agent within the X-Men

"Yeah, so uh, there's a sleeper among your organization."

"For real?!"

"Yes, there is a sleeper among your organization comprised of targeted minorities and students."

"Neat, I guess."

"Aren't you going to investigate that or some--"

"Yo, wanna help us plant some SEEDS?!"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As a general rule, I don't dwell too much on the past.
    The speculation that things might be re-started from scratch and going forward in a new direction with only passing mention of a few points of interest to what came before is closure enough for me.

How the heck Scott that Phoenix Egg and mad Nation X.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Havok's daughter is still kidnapped by Kang.

The fake mutant sleeper agent within the X-Men
    I'm 90% sure that kitty being a neo.

BANNED

Sean Garrison is my favorite dropped character/plotline. Still waiting

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

What's left unfinished from the current era?
    What plot danglers have been left hanging?
    What storylines, character conflicts, relationships, and other matters remain unresolved?
    What stories do you wish Marvel had followed up on?
    As a reader, what closure have you not gotten?
    I'm gonna say Creed for all of these. basically ever since Bunn lost him, NOTHING has been followed up on. He went to Pak's Weapon X where he was only inverted when it was convenient. Instead of Angelus - Angel like Remender described, we got Spike. And I hated him enough on Buffy.

We're seeing him in Uncanny, and true to form of being a bland, uninspiring villain, the inversion & what he experienced there doesn't seem to be a factor, making the entire post-AXIS arc meaningless.

Honestly, nothing Bunn does gets followed up on. The man is one of the most ignored writers. No wonder he's not on X-Books anymore. But with his mother passing away, he has bigger issues & I wish him the best there.

2001 and up? The plotlines I wanted to be resolved came in the 90's... well, I'm still going to say them anyway. :P

Apocalypse being behind the Weapon X program.

What was inside the box?

Amiko wanted revenge on his dad.

What was Arnim Zola plan by kidnapping Viper?

Yes, last one I mentioned was a Wolverine plot, but it doesn't really matter because when you see Viper again after that happened, she never mentioned being kidnapped by Zola.

I'm not limiting to just since Morrison, but in general. All of these are focused on Polaris, as per usual.

• History and experiences with Genosha, its genocide
    • Relationship with Jean Grey and Iceman in general
    • Feelings and dynamics with Scarlet Witch concerning Decimation, impact on her
    • Anti-Apocalypse cult that was trying to kill her
    • Camera installed in eye by Harrison Snow (low priority)

I'm iffy on whether I should include Lorna's history going back to X-Men #49 as a "plot dangler/unresolved matter" or not. It's certainly something that should be covered, but it may not really fit the criteria of this topic.

I may post again later if I think of more things. Or possibly edit this post.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Why can't Dazzler die? (It came up again in A Force).

BANNED

What happened to all the people who had Terrigenesis poisoning?